cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Hello is Peeling

Scotth0701
Community Member

My Nest Hello Doorbell is Peeling . Love the product, but it looks terrible in the front of my home. I have 2 nest camera's, and a thermostat and full subscription but if I cannot fix this I will have to change to a different make as this premium product should not look like this? 

11 REPLIES 11

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Google typically doesn't offer a replacement if it's no longer under warranty, unfortunately. That said, you're welcome to contact the Google Nest support team who can check your warranty status and confirm.

I have seen a number of users workaround this using things such as silicone cases/covers available on Amazon and other online retailers.

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Scotth0701 

It may not be any consolation, but we now have silicone "skins" from Amazon on two of our Nest Hellos--the kind that do not cover the lens, button, or night lights. They mostly cover the peeling shards, and the doorbells continue to work.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

I just live with mine looking kind of ugly.  But it works great so I'm just leaving it the way it is.

I think the question here is not so much how do I get a replacement, but more like why does this happen?

Equipment costing this amount of money should last for a reasonable length of time, of satisfactory quality. The Hello doorbell does NOT cover these fundamental requirements, WHY?

Google have known about this problem for years, but still continue to sell the product without any modifications. WHY?

I would have thought after the huge issue with the thermostat Heat Links failing, Google would have at least made improvements with the peeling doorbells. They could at least honour any doorbell that has failed with peeling face plates to replaced for up to 5 years.

I agree with you it is sad that they don't stand behind their product and take responsibility to fix it for everyone that bought it.   As best I can tell they discontinued the HOME doorbell with the peeling problem a while back and released the two new (gen 2) doorbells.  But they have other issues of their own.  So it is trading one problem for another.

The original Google Nest Hello doorbell is still on the shelves, with no improvement with the peeling. Sadly not enough users complaining. so Google just carry on selling without any form of mod.

@Frustratedddd

You can still find the 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbell on places like Amazon and eBay, but the Google Store hasn't sold it for quite awhile.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hmmmm, I didn't see it on the Best Buy website site so I had assumed it was discontinued.    

There are many high street outlets in the UK selling the Hello bell, no mention in the advert about ''Beware Front Plate Peels After A Period Of Time''. They must have left that line out by mistake!

1.jpg

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Just be careful if you buy one in another country as these have different firmware versions that limit them for use only in the country of purchase and the firmware cannot be changed.

I'm in the UK, just stated they are available anywhere. These have not been removed from sale.