cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest keeps returning to login screen

Marc08
Community Member

This is the 2nd thread I'm posting for the same issue.  As I stated on June 14th, I deleted and reinstalled the Nest App and was able to login to Nest App on my iPhone.  The Nest App kept me logged in for about 1 month.  Now (July 16th) it is requesting me to login AGAIN.

1) I don't understand why won't the Nest App won't keep me logged in.
2) I don't understand why it doesn't give me access to my Nest Account after I follow the steps:
* Sign in with Google
* Sends me to accounts.google.com
* Choose my gmail account linked to Nest
* Click "Allow"
,sends me right back to the login screen.  INFURIATING!!!!!!
I ABSOLUTELY DREAD SEEING THAT LOGIN SCREEN APPEAR.  I'M LEARNING TO HATE THIS UNRELIABLE NEST PRODUCT !!!

I tried deleting and reinstalling the Nest App AGAIN.  This time it didn't work. I'm staring at the login screen on iPhone with no way to access my thermostat.
53 REPLIES 53

Mopmarshyelp456
Community Member

Because this topic was located in 'cameras and doorbells' and - at least in my case - I am pretty sure the problem is App or Account based, I created the topic below to follow this in that forum:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Apps-Account/Nest-App-on-Iphone-Will-Not-Login-with-Google-Lo...

@DJB214, @YB77 , @Ktcardio , @NuttingBH , just tagging y'all as you mentioned you had experienced this as well. If any of you tried other troubleshooting and would like to mention in that thread, it would be valueable. I will be tracking both threads regardless.

@Mopmarshyelp456  Hello again,  Forgive me if I already asked this in the past (this is a long thread) but do you have Google WIFI Mesh Routers?  I wonder if this could be related....

6/25/22 For Goggle routers not allowing live video do this:

Go to Google home app,

Wifi

Settings

Preferred activities

Uncheck both activities.

I do have those. I tried taking myself off the Wifi when doing it. Not sure if that makes a difference. 

Tried this suggestion and same issue. Even unchecked and restarted everything. No change.

Hey! I do not. But keep the suggestions coming, I’m willing to try a whole lot. I have a Netgear combo cable/wifi and I’ve done packet loss tests with it and it’s working nominally. 

eta: - also not running any kind of VPN although maybe eventually I might haha. But not now, haven’t in past. 

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hi everyone having trouble with this login issue on the NEST APP for iPhones.

There is a glimmer of hope.

Google is currently rolling out an update to the NEST app for iPhone.  It is version 5.72.  There have been confirmed reports that this version fixes the problem for some people.  

The easiest way to see what version you are on is go to the iPhone SETTINGS and scroll WAY down thru the list until you see the NEST app. Click on it and at the bottom you will see the version number.  (I'm currently showing 5.71.0.27 but I'm not having the problem.)

If you are not on the newest 5.72 then go to the app store and search on NEST APP and look for the NEST icon (Blue icon with white house).  If it simply says "OPEN" then the update is not yet available for your phone.  All you can do is check in each day until it is.  There is no way to force it any faster that I know of.  If the update is available instead of OPEN you will see UPDATE. You should select the and the updated version will be downloaded to your phone.

If anyone can try this PLEASE return here and let us know if it works.

THERE IS ONE MORE THING:  

Some people on iPhones have reported the that they have to turn OFF cross-Site tracking in order to fix this.

• For iOS users, open Settings > Safari > Cross-Site Tracking and disable the setting which allows cross-site tracking

I hate to be the buzzkill but at least in my case, hasn’t worked. I actually was able to get this installed yesterday earlyish. So, yeah. Not fixed 😕 

I also tried turning off cross site tracking (multiple combos of turning it off, uninstall Nest, reboot phone, install Nest, retry, etc) and no joy. 

I do hope maybe it helps some folks though? Discouraging 😞

IMG_1963.png

I am on .72 already, so that is not it. I just tried the other thing with Safari and no dice there either.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Bummer it didn't fix it for you guys.  I will continue to see what I can learn.  

Thanks EN. Just having the support of you engaging is encouraging. 

Mopmarshyelp456
Community Member

I finally took @MplsCustomer suggestion above and, via chat, went to CS. Key takeaways: 

• "Engineering is working on it. No estimate for time to fix." 
  • I was given a case number that I can use to reference when I contact them again for an update on status, which I will likely do daily until a fix is issued or Google Home is updated with equal or better functionality
  • Here's a fun thing; if anyone has ever been given instructions by some other venue to "Here, click this form, fill it out, and we'll get back to you" - that form is likely in the ether and you'll never hear from them. I'm providing a screen cap below from my other thread where I posed a snapshot of my convo with the 'madebygoogle' INSTAGRAM account. In that convo I was even given a supposed case number; however when I gave that number to the tech support on chat tonight, he could find no reference to it. I asked him then if 'madebygoogle' is not a google account, but he said that it is. So my advice for others; don't waste time with that form. Use the link provided by @MplsCustomer (higher up in this same thread) and actually contact them via phone or chat. The case number given to me tonight via that chat is not even formatted the same as that one given by 'madebygoogle' so who the hell knows.
  • Sorry for all the babble.
  • TLDR: They know about the issue, investigation ongoing, no ETA, everyone with this prob should contact them via chat or phone rather than this 'form' their (possible?) reps are asking people to fill out. 
  •  
  • Image 8-24-23 at 8.59 PM (1).jpeg

Snackz
Community Member

I’m having the same issue. Nest App won’t login with google on iPhone14+. Starts to load but then returns to login screen

Mopmarshyelp456
Community Member

Aight y'all that still have this issue. I'm proposing a  course of action that may or may not help you. I can say it has at least helped me for right now, though I'm not sure how optimistic I'm going to remain that I can still successfully log in later on.

How feasible this is depends on who you have around you, sadly.

1. Locate someone who does not have the nest app installed on their device at all right now, and preferably, never has.
  2. Ask if they will install the app and let you attempt to log in. Verify it's the latest app version (5.72 right now). In my case, I own a iPhone 14 Pro, but my coworker let me use her phone to try this and she has an iPhone 12 Pro Max
  3. Open the app, go through all the 'log in with google' steps
  4. Now - here's where we hope the results start to look different. In my case, on HER phone, the app logged me in and let me stay logged in. I could interact with my gen 1 camera and both Nest Protects.
  5. WHILE STILL LOGGED IN HER PHONE: pick up my own phone, and open nest app, step through 'log in with google' steps
  6. Here's hurdle 2; in this case, while still logged in her phone's app, I was able to stay logged in the app on my own phone with the caveat that I was first spammed with a stupid "nest renew" ad.
  7. Keeping in mind I can't verify this again because I can't have my cell at work (closed lab), I was able to close the app on her phone and still be logged in on my own at that time. Now, whether this is going to 'stick' when I try to view the app later, I do not know, but I figured it was worth at least sharing.

I have a couple hypotheses related to this:

• First, is it possible the Nest Renew ad spam is interrupting the authentication process?
  • Second, their app devs are not successfully clearing some existing cache or cookies on the device where the app is updated/existing/ever existed and this is interrupting or causing the authentication process to fail

Just hypotheses. I hope maybe this might help someone? I know it's not really feasible for a lot of people to just randomly locate someone else who will install the app and let them try to log in, but if you can, let me know if it works for you?

This is excellent.  Thank you for posting.  I will try and get this to the right people who can look into it.