cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wifi

Tootie
Community Member

My wifi keeps disconnecting and interrupts the footage. 

4 REPLIES 4

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hi Tootie,   I have what sounds like the same problem.  I get an alert that the camera has seen someone so I go to look at the live image and I get the spinning arrow of doom.   Very frustrating.  And it is intermittent.   But I don't think the problem is at my end with the WIFI.  Other cams are working fine at that moment.  It feels more like it is a problem with the NEST servers.

BG
Bronze
Bronze

Wireless routers and your WiFi are everything! Investing in a really good wireless router is worth the price. You need a wireless router that is made for larger homes/areas, and a CPU that can handle all the traffic equally. I had the same issues and bought a really good WiFi router and it made all the difference. The Nest Cameras are dual band and all 7 of mine, are spread out all around my house and I can view all of them live, and they open instantly on maximum video quality. No connection issues at all. So, I would recommend looking at your WiFi bandwidth and router.

Rubes
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

I have been experiencing the same issue for the past 30 days. 4-5 disconnects for approximately three minutes. No changes on my end so I agree that the Nest service seems to be a culprit.

@BG, regarding your comment. Not all Nest cameras are dual band (if you’re referring to 2.4/5ghz). The wired Nest Hello for example only runs on the 2.4 band.

The Outdoor IQ is dual band in the USA and only 2.4ghz outside the USA. Same with the Nest Cam outdoor (wired). Other Nest cameras are similar depending on the region.

Tootie's original post was about WiFi disconnect, really doesn't matter what band, model or country. WiFi/equipment  is still probably number one issue in disconnect issues, but the least addressed.