cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Billing for two when i only have one camera

Sdebar
Community Member

I have been using Nest Cameras for a long long time.  We upgraded to the outdoor IQ cameras back when they first came out.  We were paying $150 for two cameras with 10 day vid history.  A few months ago our back camera died. We decided to just keep the front camera.  

I just got a notice that our bill went up per year to $160.00. When I spoke to a CS person via text, she told me that that is the new pricing for 1 camera.  Are you serious?? Really?   

Also, never got a refund when we cancelled the second camera.  

Nest used to be so good when it was just NEST.  

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? 

10 REPLIES 10

hirsch22
Community Member

Are you in the US?  Your prices both old and new seem completely different than mine. 

I have 12 cameras, 6 each at 2 different locations.  My price has been $120/year for each property, for the Nest Aware+ providing 24/7 recording and 60 day event history.  The plans are supposed to be a fixed price for unlimited cameras. 

I also just received the increase notification, but mine is increasing from $120 to $150 per year. 

I completely agree that Google has done nothing but degrade Nest. It's sad. 

Regarding what to do.  I canceled both of my subscriptions a few minutes ago.  They recently renewed in July and August, so I have almost a year to decide what to do next, but wanted to send an immediate message to google. 

Sdebar
Community Member
  • Hi and thanks for the response. I had two cameras and one died. We kept the one in the front. This is (what they call it) a generation 1 camera.  This particular camera model they charge more. Not sure what their reasoning is.  We have an Arlo on our garage.  We are thinking of just getting another Arlo to replace the nest camera..  it’s not continuous recording but it does the trick.   Our subscription for nest will renew at the end of this month. 

hirsch22
Community Member

That's gross, but I guess not surprising. I suspect if you cancelled your existing gen 1 plan, the newer version would become available to you but who knows. They are a mess.  FWIW, I have gen 1 cameras within the newer pricing model at both homes, so it is possible. 

I really do want live streaming and continuous recording, but it's a want not a need...

hirsch22
Community Member

Specifically, I have the following:

2 indoor nest cams (the black ones with a metal stand)

1 gen1 outdoor nest cam

1 outdoor IQ

1 gen 2 battery doorbell 

1 new gen nest floodlight 

All of those with the top tier features, were included under the $120 "plus" plan. 

I guess google figures they'll keep charging older customers more as long as possible. 

Sdebar
Community Member

I really do not want to move from Nest to Google Nest.  I have heard horror stories about the migration, not to mention, my family members that also have the user ID and password to get into our Nest account would need to have access to my Google account and I am not going to do that.

hirsch22
Community Member

You can actually add them to the google home environment just as you did with nest. 

I still hate the camera experience in Google home, but no need to share your personal account. 

Sdebar
Community Member

Ya.. I really plan on getting rid of this Nest camera...most likely when it stops working... 

I cant deal with this company and their lack of CS.  

hirsch22
Community Member

I definitely need to research more. Eufy has some cameras that continuously stream and offer recording within the Apple HomeKit. I have one in my basement as a test run and it's worked fine. Need to look into outdoor options. I was just comfortable with nest and didn't want to switch, but now it's time. 

Sdebar
Community Member

I get it.  I am comfy with Nest camera. I did have professionals come in and install both of the IQ on the siding with the cord through the house and plugged inside.  I did fine some mounts for siding that I can use for a new Arlo camera which would make it easier for me to install without a professional.  I dont feel comfortable drilling into the side of our home.   And, since we already have an Arlo on our garage we could just add a new camera (maybe with a solar panel) on the front... so that would eliminate charging.  So I am looking into alot of options for Arlo.. I do know that its $100 for unlimited Arlo cameras with 30 days of recording, per year. 

I think for me, I need to get over the "continuous streaming"... if I can get over that hurdle, I should be fine.

Sdebar
Community Member

Same, I do want continuous recording…. But Arlo charges $10/m each camera for that. Way too expensive