cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Daily & monthly tests: Are they loud? If so, can I disable?

solange1
Community Member

I just bought two Google Protects in the hope that the advance warning feature will help me deal with any smoke from cooking before the alarm goes off. My dog completely freaks out when my old fire alarms go off.

Before I install them, these are my questions:

- Is the daily & monthly tests loud ie. do they sound like the actual fire alarm/horn goes off?

- If they are loud, is there a way to disable these tests?

- Is there a way to temporarily disable my fire alarm from the app if I know I'm cooking something that will generate a lot of smoke?

3 REPLIES 3

CKaila
Community Member

Great questions- My dog COMPLETELY freaks out too and it is so frustrating that there is no product on the market that has any type of chirp alternative. Honestly, we removed all of our current alarms because we came home twice in past year to our dog cowering, shaking hysterically because the chirps to replace battery were going off while we were not home. it was devastating to see our dog so affected by it.

I am also looking into Google Nest for an alternative option for fire/carbon mono detectors as I have heard they may be the only option out there able to customize/disable alarm sounds, chirps, etc /be warned about it via phone before it goes off in house. 

solange1
Community Member

Awww sorry to hear about your dog & so glad you can relate! We took the plunge and installed two Nest alarms. Turns out you can disable the monthly test. The daily test is silent, just a light that comes on.
Best of all, the alarm gives you a heads up - an orange light comes on - if it notices a smoke built up from, say, a burnt burger. That gives us the time to air things out before the dog-freaking fire alarm comes on. So far so good! That said, if the alarm does go on, its bone rattling. We haven't had it come on, but there's a sample online you can listen to.

CKaila
Community Member

Wow, thank you so much for the info! We ended up buying one this weekend to try it out before buying for house, but haven't gotten around to setting it up yet- good to know about your experience.

Thanks again