cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Family Sharing

bwall
Community Member

So I just got two Nest Protect units.  Installation went fine and have connected to the Nest app.  I gave up on trying to connect and see the units to my Google Home app, not sure if its even possible (I read some nest devices have to remain with Nest and cannot be migrated to google), I'm not sure if there is any need to do so, the Nest app is fine for me.  One item that is bugging me though is the the Nest app will not allow family sharing, this has to be done through the Google Home app and will automatically link in the Nest app....not for me though.  I already had my Google Home app registered to my gmail account, and when setting up the Nest app the only option was "Sign in with google", which I did with the same account, but there doesn't seem to be any linking of the Google Home and Nest apps at all, and no family sharing.  When I was trying to add the Nest account to Google home app via "works with google" the Nest app would not accept my google account credentials, would this have something to do with registering on the Nest app via "sign in with google", instead of an actual username and password (didn't actually see an option in the Nest app to even do that)?  Anyway, kind of frustrated with all this and the fact that Google can't seem to simplify the Nest/Google interaction.

3 REPLIES 3

BinaryJay
Product Expert Alumni
Product Expert Alumni

I'm not sure what you mean by family sharing but you add other family members to the Home app and they will be able to install and login to the Nest app to view that home as well.  Nest Protects at least the currently available models are not supported in the Home app (yet and perhaps not ever) so there isn't anything you need to do about that.

bwall
Community Member

Thanks!  What I meant by family sharing is the "Family" option in the Nest app settings.  I tried to add my wife so any alarms will notify her as well.  The Nest app said I had to do this through the GH app (which I did), but I don't see her listed in the Family section on the Nest app, and maybe I never will.  What you are saying is now that I have added her google account to my GH app, she should be able to login to her own Nest app with her google account credentials and see the Nest protect units, correct?

BinaryJay
Product Expert Alumni
Product Expert Alumni

My wife does show up in the Nest app under Family & Guests.  You may have to log out of the app and log back in again after she has actually accepted the invite and is "in" the home, it might not refresh it automatically.  But yeah, my wife is a family member in the GH app and can log in with the same Google account in the Nest app and see all of the devices.