cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Protect do not appear in Google Home App

Kawabunga18
Community Member

I just purchased 3 Nest Protect detectors installation and setup via the Nest App (iOS) was flawless. However unlike my Nest Door Bell post setup and installation the Nest Protect units do not appear in my Google Home app. Does anyone have a remedy for this problem or can it simply not be done?  

1 Recommended Answer

GoogleNestTeam
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)
We can confirm that supporting Nest Protect in Home App is indeed on our roadmap. We understand that this has been a long desired capability and the team is fully committed to expanding Home App support to cover the much loved Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm.

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

evbart
Community Member

So if I'm reading this right, I should NOT migrate from a nest account to a google account because I'll loose the ability to manage my nest protects?

This is crazy.  I'm really starting to regret buying into the google eco-system.  They aren't supporting homekit, and they aren't really even supporting their own products.

You won't lose the ability, you'll just be stuck with some products ONLY MANAGEABLE in the nest app and some ONLY in the Google home app

mxmerce
Community Member

Any lawyers out there think we’d have chance at getting Google to answer this with a class action lawsuit, to force them in to a fix or full refund?

Trausti
Community Member

Well now it's 2023 and still no solution. Just tried factory resetting the smoke detectors and have the home-app preview (the newest features) and still no luck.

Pathetic isn't it Trausti, I was also hopeful with the HOME app update announcement only to be disappointed yet again. As people have already said this would seem to be a basic common sense thing to have this functionality but Google seems to think otherwise. The disappointment continues ...  

mibr
Community Member

Maby if everyone request RMA, useless product

grgid979
Community Member

Need a fix for this already!

Karmulian
Community Member

This is really frustrating.

I bought Nest Protects recently explicitly so I could setup routines with them.

My partner is deaf, so I need to be able to turn lights on etc when the alarm goes off.

So annoyed about this now!

Unfortunately, this thread is FULL of disappointment/displeasure with Google on what seems to be a basic missing functionality of this product. I suspect they are working on something to replace the protects based on their total disregard to support this need by the customer. 

Google gave up. They have their money and just don't care. How they did their last layoff was all the proof anyone needed about how they became the evil empire

DMMD
Community Member

My IQ Outdoor camera doesn’t work and they aren’t sold anymore. So I have the newer battery outdoor Camera which has to be charged intermittently and is at risk of being stolen since it can be removed easily from the magnet (I haven’t bought the 3rd party security attachment yet).

1) I tried to have the new battery operated Camera added to my Nest app but not possible even though I have 4 other cameras which are part of the Nest app ecosystem. Now I have to check this single camera on the Google Home App

2) While doing so I found out that my 4 CO/Smoke nest products are only found on the Nest app and not on the Google Home App

So I have to go back and forth with the same ecosystem between the Nest App and the Google Home App for various products

This is insane. If this isn’t fixed I will very gradually migrate to a new ecosystem. Google…..huge profits over the years, Non Google products can easily integrate to Google Home and yet here we are

Disgusting…..after being a loyal customer and spending 1000’s on their products

DanCoco
Community Member

Definitely keep your eyes on a new ecosystem. No hope they'll fix this. Google's confidence level has been wittling away slowly over the last few years for me.  They're killing the Waze program, actively REMOVING features from older Fitbits, crippling youtube with so many ads its unusable,  blocking paid g suite users from posting app reviews, and countless other free features, having to return a pixel 6 pro because the "epic" camera didnt have a "pro" mode, it would lock up and freeze using gps. 

Spaghetti69
Community Member

Oh, I will for sure be replacing Google with something else if things aren't functional by the time devices start dieing. 

Moviecr8or
Community Member

Same thing happened with me. Our outdoor fried, I replaced it with the battery powered camera. Easily connected through Google Home. I can’t migrate it into Nest with the rest of our cameras. Google has a video explaining how to this, but Nest does not show up on the list when I get to that step. Such a bummer when we’ve invested in all these Nest cameras.

CraigK
Community Member

this is so disheartening,  I see the Nest Protect as having the Potential to be one of their Premier Devices. could easily see it as having it's current features, but if they were to add IFTTT connectivity to control other devices  ... such as lights when the proximity sensor sees someone enter the room, or a low power Wi-Fi to act as many of the  newer Wi-Fi's do, or to act with Google Assistant for a more complete Gene Roddenberry experience (Star Trek) ... even send and receive Broadcasts and Calls or act as a wireless Intercom to friends and family. could be an awesome device. coulda, woulda, shoulda !

but since Google wants to destroy itself ... time to promote alternatives. sad since I was a Nest Pro installer, and routinely get asked for my opinions. 

ZpS13
Community Member

So now it’s March 23’, no fix? 

ZpS13
Community Member

Bump- having this issue in March 2023. 

Dbert
Community Member

This is really sad, google home has support for allmost any brand in the world... Except their own, come on google you have 10 smart devices, support them all! When there is smoke i would just love to have my blinds open, turn all lights on, open the roller shutters unlock the smart locks and so on. When there is smoke, electricity should be ok, when it turns into fire, i could be trapped. I could die because of the lack of support... In fact, it all worked! It has just taken away. Guess what? I stopped my google one subscription too. We all don't like being the product. Get awake and support your real products. 

G00GLEFails
Community Member

Just bought 2 nest protect devices and installed them.  Same stupid issue. It asks me to connect to a home, gives me a list of existing homes, looks like it connects by then.... nothing. 

False advertising. Very expensive product that doesn't do what it says it will

I would return them immediately before the return window closes. Check the manufacture date too. Make sure it's not old warehouse inventory.

At this point, Google is failing to support a product that requires cloud services to function. 

If you're in the US, file a report of fraud to the Federal Trade Commission at https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/ 

(The FTC cant respond to your individual claim, but will use the report to establish a trend.)

Also contact your state's Attorney General.

https://www.consumerresources.org/file-a-complaint/ 

Jondres
Community Member

Yes it’s crazy. Nest was taken over by Google and unfortunately the nest protect is not supported on their Google app. It makes no sense that I can use the Google app and view my cameras and thermostats but not my nest protects. I hope they can resolve this. I have the Nest protects and I love the way they work unfortunately it doesn’t look good because it’s been a while now and nothing has happened.

ccampton
Community Member

I have been dealing with this issue for over two years now. At this point, there has been zero support from Google and zero indication they plan on fixing it. I am pulling the line out of my home and going with a different product. 

Jackbenimble
Community Member

I had a nice long angry chat with their tech support, escalating to a supervisor at least. I said, you wasted my time, I'm going to waste some of yours. They were continuously giving me the same excuses over and over and over again, and make the same empty promises. Oh and the feelings, oh my feelings, they so understand how I'm feeling. Then fix your failures I said, clearly your website is misleading customers into believing these are part of the Google Home ecosystem.

What I am most angry about is the wild goose chase you are sent on when you purchase Nest Protect, set them up diligently in the Nest app, install them physically which included shutting down my power, etc, then having to scour the freaking internet when you can't figure out why they don't show up in Google Home. It's outrageous that they don't make this apparent up front and center! I had to search and search for this, all the while scrolling through the ridiculously long list of 3rd party devices which do somehow magically function inside the Google ecosystem. Shame on you, Google, and your developers.

We were lied to. We purchased these products under good faith that they were integrated into Google, given they are slapped all over with Google branding. My valuable time was wasted jumping through the installation hoops I expected, only to have to go on a freaking expedition to discover these devices have been absolutely ignored by their own developers.

So get the freaking lead out already, Google. Respond to this forum. Stop promising us future integration if you don't mean it, as its been YEARS NOW. All you do is create more anger, resentment and distrust in your brand. Funnel some of those record profits to your actual customers.

Well said Jack! 

Firemancjr
Community Member

Let’s keep this going.  We are now 3 months into 2023 and there still seems to be no movement on this issue. Has anyone abandoned Google products and gone with something else? Is the experience better? I have 14 nest protects, plus doorbells, cameras, etc, but they won’t talk to each other. Using multiple apps to control products from the same ecosystem is inexcusable. 

I have ZERO intent to close off this thread until the issue has been resolved Fire no worries there. 🙂 It’s disappointing Google has not taken notice of this topic/thread it’s moving up the list in terms of active conversations since I created it well over a year ago. More and more people are weighing in on it and voicing their own displeasure with Google and the lack of interest in supporting or request for action. 

I was in a position to buy 9 more protects just as they bricked my nest account. At least the detectors talk to each other still. I haven't researched another vendor yet, but once i find something that can even just send a text or work with homeassistant, i'll replace all my nest detectors. When buying cameras again, make sure they are ONVIF compatible, so that if the vendor you use goes dormant or pulls a Google, you don't have to rebuy.

Anyone else going to different smoke alarm vendors, post up what you went with. Nobody's paying attention here at Google, so might as well share our research.

Unless Google decides to fix their stability and integration problems by the time my devices die I can promise you they won't be replaced with Google anything. 

Karmulian
Community Member

I've still got the Nest Protects, but am frustrated by the situation.

My Nest Home Hub has recently has extra functionality in the Home App, so they are obviously porting stuff over. But the radio silence on this is irritating, to the point of making them largely useless for the scenario I was trying to solve.

They still come out top of all the smart alarm reviews, despite missing such basic functionality as being integrated with the other nest/Google products.

If Google would even respond with their intent it would be progres... 

Ante71
Community Member

I bought one Nest Protect today, and now when I search the internet I found out this, that it is not showing up on the home app. Very disappointing!

smvasa
Community Member

The current design doesn't allow to add in Google Home.

You need to download Nest app and it will pickup google home there once you link you google account.

Ante71
Community Member

Ok. How do I link the Nest app to the Google account?

smvasa
Community Member

It will prompt you when you setup the nest app

Ante71
Community Member

Yes I did that but the Nest Protect will not show up on the Home app...

grgid979
Community Member

I know, right?  And thus the thread…as we’re all in the same boat.  And shame on Google for not making it happen, after so much time has passed. 

DanCoco
Community Member

Nest Protect will never show up on the Google Home app. You are stuck using your google account login, in the Nest app, which likely hasn't received any major development in years. You may or may not have issues with real time notifications to your phone. (I get a smoke warning between 15minutes to an hour after, if at all.)

The solution is to return that device to the place of purchase before the return period expires. If they give you any pushback, tell them the device does not perform the functions on the packaging. 

DanCoco
Community Member

It will not. Nest Protects are not supported by Google Home, and never will be. 

The nest app may make you migrate your nest account to a google account, but it will not actually setup in Google Home.

Thatguy144
Community Member

Where is Google on this? No response whatsoever? Because they have no decent excuse? 

It's pretty shameful how they are avoiding this thread. I even posted a link to it on their twitter and nothing.

If they were paying attention, i'm sure i woulda caught a ban for suggesting people report to their state attorney's general and the FTC for fraud by now.