cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest protect will not allow me to add a family member

JAAS69
Community Member

I just installed 8 nest protects and went to add my wife to the Nest account. It says I have to migrate to Google Home to do so, however protect is not supported by Google Home and therefor she would see nothing!

Why was this half assed approach taken when dealing with lives, these are not nice to have products they are critical. Moving the conveniences like, lights, cameras etc. I get, but half baked solutions for smoke detectors BAD MOVE.

How do I get family member to have access to these, if they worked in home kit you would not have these issues.

thx

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

This is confusing so bear with me. If you're being prompted to use the Google Home app to manage home members, that means you login to the Nest app with a Google account and don't have a legacy Nest account, so there's no account migration here. However, because you're using a Google account to login to the Nest app, managing home members can only be done in the Google Home app. You can only manage home members in the Nest app if you login to the Nest app with a legacy Nest account.

Use the Google Home app and invite your wife to the home:
Share a home and devices in the Google Home app - Google Nest Help

The email address you invite must be a personal Gmail account, or if the person you’re inviting to the home uses another email provider, they must create a Google account using that email address. Once they receive and accept the invite, your Nest Protects will show up in her Nest app. It's just the management of home members that must be done in the Google Home app, as you're using a Google account for login.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

This is confusing so bear with me. If you're being prompted to use the Google Home app to manage home members, that means you login to the Nest app with a Google account and don't have a legacy Nest account, so there's no account migration here. However, because you're using a Google account to login to the Nest app, managing home members can only be done in the Google Home app. You can only manage home members in the Nest app if you login to the Nest app with a legacy Nest account.

Use the Google Home app and invite your wife to the home:
Share a home and devices in the Google Home app - Google Nest Help

The email address you invite must be a personal Gmail account, or if the person you’re inviting to the home uses another email provider, they must create a Google account using that email address. Once they receive and accept the invite, your Nest Protects will show up in her Nest app. It's just the management of home members that must be done in the Google Home app, as you're using a Google account for login.