cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

No alerts on mobile phone upon Nest Protect alarm

AristoMoggie
Community Member

Have a number of Nest Protect devices and they are pretty sensitive and work great when smoke is detected (oven too long on, fire place door not closed....).

The local alarm is great, but, if you are not at home there does not seem to be any way to get an alarm on your phone at all which seems a bit strange. It should switch your camera's on but if you do not get a proper notification what is the point in that? 
The testing is supposed to provide feedback on the phone as well, I've only heard the tiniest of 2 beeps on the PC or Phone that you press the test on, if that is all you hear from the monthly test then it's pretty dumb as those beeps are easy to miss (in now over a year of use of the units I've never heard a notification on the phone it is done it's test).

Am I missing some setup issue here or is it another missed opportunity from Google?

42 REPLIES 42

Jeff_Cherer
Community Member

Odd that i am required to respond to a two-way verification notice on my phone in order for me to share that i can't get notifications on my phone.

Jim0000001
Community Member

I have not received a notification in years from my Nest smoke alarms. I just checked notification settings in my phone, the Nest app, and the Home app. All were set to receive notifications. Then I discovered that my Nest Protects were not connected to wifi. I connected all four to wifi and made some smoke in my kitchen. The alarm sounded. I did not get a notification on my phone. I pressed the button to silence the alarm and immediately got  Nest notification that the alarm was silenced. It did not seem to send an alarm notification, just the alarm silenced notification. Maybe I was too quick to silence it. It did not seem that way though. That said, it is the first notification I received on my phone in a few years.  I really need smoke and fire notifications, alarm silenced notifications are not really helpful.

My wife was away when I did this. She said she got a smoke clearing notification. Seems odd she did not get the smoke notification.

sadfwe32
Community Member

Just tested and it works for me.  Test was lit matches under smoke alarm and phones off wifi.  Took about 5 seconds after alarm for notification to come through to my wife's phone and mine.  If yours isn't working uninstall and reinstall the nest app and make sure notifications aren't muted or disabled.  Also make sure you don't mess with the nest app while you trigger the alarm. If you silence the alarm through the app, with the button on the alarm, or even just mess with it nest might assume you are home.  Take yoru phones off wifi for test, light some matches under the alarm and deal with the noise until you see something on your phone (dont press any buttons on the alarm or the app).