cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Pressing center does not reset Nest Protect

montemontemayor
Community Member

I have a Nest Protect Gen 2 and was getting a beep to change the batteries.  I did and it was still beeping every once in a while.  So I decided to just factory reset it. I tried holding down the center button but I just get 3 long beeps followed by 3 short beeps when I release it.  I never get a blue ring.  Ive been trying to add it via the app and am getting stuck on this part.    BTW, I took the batteries out for about 2 weeks and put in fresh batteries and am getting exactly the same behavior. 

2 Recommended AnswerS

Anonymous
Not applicable

What type of batteries did you put into the Nest Protect now? Kindly visit this article for more info: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9239052
If for instance, this is the new battery your nest device has now: Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA (L91) lithium-ion batteries. Then, the device must be replaced. Kindly check the warranty of your device. The nest protect only works with Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA (L91).

View Recommended Answer in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, you have to reset all of them to add them back on the app. Reset all of them, then put them all together near the router and near the other nest device that is near the router, then try adding again.

View Recommended Answer in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

What type of batteries did you put into the Nest Protect now? Kindly visit this article for more info: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9239052
If for instance, this is the new battery your nest device has now: Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA (L91) lithium-ion batteries. Then, the device must be replaced. Kindly check the warranty of your device. The nest protect only works with Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA (L91).

Thank you Eveluna - I used Eneloop Pro Rechargeable.   That is very odd about the batteries but I will certainly try this.  Thank you very much! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it's really strange but Nest Protect is very sensitive to other batteries. It only works with Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA (L91). No problem. Happy to help. Let us know if you need more help.

I ordered the batteries and will report back!  Thank you so much!

montemontemayor
Community Member

Update:  Amazingly, using Energizer Ultimate batteries did indeed solve the problem. Thats the good news.  Now I am getting error P014 when trying to add the device.  I did a factory reset 3 times (by pressing and holding until it said "Erasing all settings in 5 seconds".  And it makes me hold and press an existing unit to add the new one I guess.  I have 2 other units and tried them both.  It will not add. 😞   

In my research, I found 2 solutions, both seems bad.  One was to add a 2nd house (I dont even know what that means) and the 2nd one was to reset all of them and then add all at the same time.  Auggh.   Any ideas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, you have to reset all of them to add them back on the app. Reset all of them, then put them all together near the router and near the other nest device that is near the router, then try adding again.

Auggh... ok, I'll do that and report back.  

Hi folks,

I appreciate the help in guiding the customer, @Anonymous. Big help!

@montemontemayor, I wanted to ensure that everything was covered here. Going over the steps shared by @Anonymous will definitely help you reconnect them all again. Please keep us posted on how it goes, and I would be glad to know what the result would be.

Best regards,

Mark

Thank you Mark - the problem is all solved now and everything works great now. Thank you. This was my 1st experience using this forum and it was excellent!  

Hi montemontemayor,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that it's working fine now.  I will be locking this thread in 24 hours. Please feel free to create a new thread should you have some more questions or concerns in the near future and we'll be more than glad to help.

Thanks,

Edward

montemontemayor
Community Member

I am doing that as I speak.  I have 3 total and one is hard to get to. I'll report back.  Thank you everyone. 

Hey montemontemayor,

No pressure! Thanks for trying the steps and for keeping us in the loop.

Let us know if that works.

Best regards,

Mark

montemontemayor
Community Member

Update:  OK everyone, back in Biz.  Huge Shoutout to Evaluna for helping get through this. For the future people reading this thread:

• You MUST MUST MUST use Energizer Ultra Lithium AA batteries, not others and def not rechargeable like I tried.
  • If when trying to rejoin your Nest Protect to others in your network, if you get stuck, its MUCH faster to simply delete the existing devices and re-add everything.  Huge pain but ultimately, it was fastest and it worked. 

Hello montemontemayor,

Awesome! We're glad to hear that they're working now.

Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have any other questions or concerns, as we'll be closing this thread in 24 hours.

Best regards,

Mark