cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Protect says expired even after installing new replacements

JayBird78
Community Member

I had 4 Nest Protect 1st gen expire last month. I bought 4 new 2nd gen Nest Protects and removed the old expired ones from my app’s system, removed their batteries and recycled them. And then installed and added the new ones. The app shows the new ones and their updated expiration date of roughly 10 years from now. However, whenever I press the button on any of the new Protects, it gives me the message that they have expired and no longer protecting.

How do I fix them so they know they’ve been replaced and stop giving me the expired warning? I’m afraid they may not work in an emergency if they feel they’re expired.

1 Recommended Answer

Thank you sharing that you’re in the same boat. I did solve the issue since I posted.

I pressed the button on each new Protect and let it say it’s warning about being expired. I then had it do it’s own test by pressing the button again on the Protect and afterwards it stopped reading as expired.

The trick is to know that despite what the app says, you have to manually run a full test from each unit by pressing the button on them. Only then will the unit update itself on the actual expiration date.

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Chris15
Community Member

I installed the new Nest protect today and I have the same problem.  I believe the problem is the copy the data from the old to the new sensor.  Tomorrow if it doesn't fix itself I'll reset it. 

Thank you sharing that you’re in the same boat. I did solve the issue since I posted.

I pressed the button on each new Protect and let it say it’s warning about being expired. I then had it do it’s own test by pressing the button again on the Protect and afterwards it stopped reading as expired.

The trick is to know that despite what the app says, you have to manually run a full test from each unit by pressing the button on them. Only then will the unit update itself on the actual expiration date.

iAmNotTheMole
Community Member

How dumb for a "smart" device. I had the same problem, even after removing the old devices from my setup 

iAmNotTheMole
Community Member

@GoogleNestTeam I tried this "fix" and it took multiple test cycles to clear out the expired message. Shouldn't this be an easy software fix so that other customers don't face the same frustration?