cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Topaz-2.7 vs Topaz-2.33

bondskin
Community Member

Hi,

I needed to replace one faulty Nest Protect after 2-3 years and bought a new one.

Good news, the new device comes with the same firmware 3.4rc6

But the hardware version of the new device is older (Topaz-2.33) than all my previous devices (Topaz-2.7) which I bought some years ago.

Serial number of the latest device is: 06AA01AC35210873

I am really wondering why a new device is shipped with an older hardware type.

Any ideas?

Especially what's the difference between 2.33 to 2.7?

thanks

Mike

1 Recommended Answer

bondskin
Community Member

Hi @Rocco1 , I just chatted with Google Support and here is the main statement

"I've checked with the details and I would like to inform you that 'Topaz' refers to the model number and there will be no issues with software."

View Recommended Answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Rocco1
Community Member

Just wondering if you ever received an answer to, why a new device is shipped with an older hardware type?

bondskin
Community Member

Hi @Rocco1 , no reply yet, thanks for asking.

Rocco1
Community Member

A few of my 8 devices I purchased were on Topaz 2.33 and others 2.9. I’m concerned the old hardware (if that is what it is) may cause me problems later.  There doesn’t seem to be a way to determine the hardware version before opening the box and installing the unit.

bondskin
Community Member

Hi @Rocco1 , I just chatted with Google Support and here is the main statement

"I've checked with the details and I would like to inform you that 'Topaz' refers to the model number and there will be no issues with software."

Trif4
Community Member

I don't think the model number is in decimal, so 2.33 is newer than 2.7. The minor version is 33 instead of 7, not 70.

bondskin
Community Member

Hi @Trif4 , that's an interesting way to see it, thanks for that.

I am just wondering why Google did not say so...

Trif4
Community Member

Honestly I wouldn't really expect customer service to know – it's likely not a common concern, and engineers & repair techs are probably the only ones who deal with the specifics of minor hardware versions.

The convention of integer minor versions is very common in software packages, so I'm fairly confident the hardware versions follow a similar style too.