Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates on Nest Protect and pending Scottish legislation changes

RachelC
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hey everyone, 

I appreciate everyone’s patience as they’ve shared their feedback and questions regarding the pending Scottish legislation changes. We’re aware of the proposed legislation changes to the fire and smoke alarm standard in Scotland requiring households to have interlinked heat and smoke alarms. Nest Protect cannot function as a heat alarm due to specific hardware and functional requirements of those devices. So, beginning February 2022,  Nest Protects will not meet these new requirements due lack of interconnection with a compatible heat alarm. 

At this time, there are no current plans to produce a heat alarm and we do understand this is not ideal for many of our Scottish customers, but you can still use your Nest Protect as a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm as an addition to your interconnected system. We understand these options may not be suitable for everyone so we ask if you have any additional questions around next steps for your Nest Protect, you can contact support to get additional details.

We ask that you continue to refer to the guidance of your fire and local authorities and we’ll also share any updates and changes as they arise. 

Thanks,

Rachel

18 REPLIES 18

jss32
Community Member

Hello, it’s good to finally have confirmation on this after two years of asking. The lack of a compliant solution means that rather than just purchasing a single new Nest detector, customers in Scotland will have to purchase an entire set of detectors from a Nest competitor. There is obviously no obligation to keep an existing product compliant with future regulations, but I expect better from Google, given the huge period of notice we gave you for the change. Would Google consider a pro rata refund of the life remaining in what is now a defunct product? The suggestion of using existing Protects alongside a compliant system is frankly ridiculous.

ZombieBoy
Community Member

Can I translate this for Scottish members?

tough luck, you bought a pup when buying Nest. A total and utter waste of your dosh. Buy something else, and mibes just leave the nest stuff oan the ceiling… it’ll cover the holes made when you installed it, just fine. In fact, that’s the only purpose it’ll serve in Scotland from here on in.

thanks Nest, a total and utter waste of money and effort.

Rossmof
Community Member

Thanks for the update. Presumably you’ll be removing Nest Protect from sale in Scotland immediately as it is non compliant?

Ballsy
Community Member

Did you really just say "you can still use your Nest Protect as a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm", you are kidding right? You expect customers to keep your defective product along with a compliant set?

You have just lost a whole country of potential customers, not only for the smoke detector but I'll guarantee that people will also shy away from all other nest products in future. Not just from Nest but also away from all Google assistant based products, Google 0 - Alexa 1

I can't think of any other word than disgusting.

NickB
Community Member

Ouch!

I have 4 wired Nest Protects in my house, and because the one in the kitchen will no longer comply with Scottish law from Feb 2022 (and thus also invalidate home insurance policies) I'll need to replace the whole system.

So I have basically wasted ~£400 on the Nest Protects! 😞

JamesB81
Community Member

My 2 x Nest Protect still have 7 and 8 years life left in them. Will you be offering a prorated refund?

tomrup
Community Member

Same applies to new builds and major refurbs in England and Wales - would be nice if Google admitted this too.

-Craig
Community Member

@RachelC the tags in your post say Nest Protect (Gen1), so does this only apply to the older Nest Protects? Or does it also apply to Nest Protects that are currently on sale?

ZombieBoy
Community Member

Applies to all Nest Protects

diaveldes
Community Member

So the 7 units I have installed are basically ceiling ornaments not fit for purpose. 

I guess, the nightlight could still be useful… but yes, they are utterly pointless from a legal/insurance perspective.

MRTMoe
Community Member

I have been waiting for an answer from Google half expecting a date when I could purchase a heat alarm and make my very expensive 8 protect system compliant with Scottish law. This answer beggars belief! Big holes in my ceilings for the hardwired alarms which are nothing more than extremely expensive nitelights now and they still have 6 years of life in them. These are the only Google products I have ever bought and that fact will remain. Absolute joke of a company!

-Craig
Community Member

Just curious, has anyone contacted Google support, as per Rachel:

We understand these options may not be suitable for everyone so we ask if you have any additional questions around next steps for your Nest Protect, you can contact support to get additional details.

Thanks,

Rachel

I am wondering what the 'next steps' would be?

diaveldes
Community Member

I think I may be doing this as there is nothing letting you know these are non compliant.  

-Craig
Community Member

Maybe watchdog@bbc.co.uk would be interested?

diaveldes
Community Member

I intend to contact my MSP Monday and ask why they contine to allow these to even be sold. 

mwclubb
Community Member

This is madness. You need to put a compliant model into production ASAP. 

No point talking about how sustainable your products are when you've just scrapped hundreds or thousands of devices across Scotland.

Please provide an update

diaveldes
Community Member

Do you have an easy link for contacting support as I find my self with your not fit for purpose system that I need to replace.