cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Add 2nd thermostat within same home.

Calcutec8
Community Member

Anyone figured out how to add a second thermostat without adding a second home? This is the TD013 error. Google support can’t seem to figure it out. 

2 Recommended AnswerS

I changed from an iPhone to Android and guess what? It worked. Was able to add the second thermostat to the same home. So it's possibly an Nest iOS app bug? 

View Recommended Answer in original post

YD1639
Community Member

So I ended up talking to Nest support. She asked me to take the original unit off the wall, and bring closer to one other. And magically, that worked for the remaining 3. No factory reset needed. 
Thank you for your help! HNY. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

38 REPLIES 38

Frustratedddd
Bronze
Bronze

Have you tried, Settings - Add Product - Nest Thermostat

Follow the screen from then on

Maybe I should have been more detailed. I tried to add the second thermostat. It gives me the TD013 error every time where it can’t add it for some reason. Google support had to elevate this case to the engineers. I’m wondering if it’s a product flaw. Just wondering if anyone else had the same situation and had it resolved. 

This may help?

Keep the original thermostat connected as normal.

Set the new thermostat up manually and connected to network.

When set-up remove new display from the wall or stand.

The new thermostat will show message connect to base connector, ignore that for the time being

Go into App and add another device under settings.

Follow the instructions, you may have to scan the QR code on the reverse of the new display and the code found on back, With luck the App should show connected.

Reinstate the new thermostat display back onto the wall or stand

I’ll try it. Thanks. 

Having the same problem here.  Tried this idea to no avail.  I can't believe this could be a problem affecting this many users and there's no support update??  Very frustrated that I just dropped $ on the 2nd thermostat!!

Jbk
Community Member

I chatted with google.  They had me switch my wifi setting to my iphone hotspot.  That allowed the units to be added under one home.  Then switched back to regular wifi in my house

laurentbourg
Bronze
Bronze

Are you referring to adding another Nest thermostat in the Nest app? This can be easily done bu clicking on settings (gear wheel top right) and scrolling down to “Add Product”

I think you might have to read all of the comments!

Yes I had answered on a stale thread where latest comments had not been refreshed yet. 

This does not work and is the reason for this thread.

Did you find out how to add a second nest to the same home yet? I am getting the same issue, and so far have only found one thread where someone was redirected to a worthless document about how multiple nests in the same home can learn from each other.

I did not. They called me back but I couldn't take the call at the time. Supposed to contact them for another call. 

Nope.  Still baffled by this.  Now I wonder if i should try to get them both added in Google Home? So confused...help us google!

I as well have the same issue in being unable to add second Nest Thermostat to my Nest iPhone App. To note this 2nd Nest thermostat does function and is on the same home network, just can not add it to 'add this product' to my Home account.

Donald McKennitt

Same here. It works and on the same network. I'm hoping a firmware update can fix it. 

Did any of you guys try to add the thermostat to a different “structure” (you can add structures in the Nest app) and that works?

If by structure you mean another house, that is what i want to avoid. Harder to do automations. 

Yes I mean another home. I just wanted to know whether you tried and it worked. This would give us additional data points. 

Yes I was able to add the Thermostat to another 'Home'. My preference is to have both Thermostats under the same Home. Appreciate if this can be resolved. 

Donald McKennitt

Thanks for confirming Donald, I agree having to use a work around is pseudo-optimal, I will be escalating on my end to determine whether how this can be better resolved. 

I changed from an iPhone to Android and guess what? It worked. Was able to add the second thermostat to the same home. So it's possibly an Nest iOS app bug? 

Wow.  That worked.  I have my son's old Pixel 2 that I use for listening to music.  Added the app there and re-setup the thermostat with no problem on the original thermostats Home.  Thanks!!

Jbk
Community Member

Did you then go back to ios and see them both under the same home?

the_real_JZ
Community Member

Yup. All good wherever I view the home. 

Except this solution doesn’t work. 

Jbk
Community Member

I connected them each to my phones hot spot and all seven added to one home .  Then switched to home wifi

YD1639
Community Member

Thank you. Will try that. Hopefully it’ll work. How frustrating!

YD1639
Community Member

The hotspot trick didn’t work, unfortunately. Made sure software was up to date and even restarted my iPhone. I think there’s a glitch in the app. 
Google needs to do a MUCH better job. 

Jbk
Community Member

Did you basically delete the 2nd unit and rest to factory?  Those instructions are straight from google.  For one unit i had to take it off the wall and bring it closer to the base unit for them to sync

MPV
Community Member

The hotspot trick didn't work for me either.  The only way I could get the 2nd Nest to connect was to set up another "home".  Total pain, but it now works and allows me to control remotely.  I hope GoogleNest can give us a fix for this.  Seems to be a problem with multiple units connecting via IOS.

Tmus
Community Member

When you add the additional units, don't scan the code square. Add the unit info manually into the app

YD1639
Community Member

So I ended up talking to Nest support. She asked me to take the original unit off the wall, and bring closer to one other. And magically, that worked for the remaining 3. No factory reset needed. 
Thank you for your help! HNY. 

Jbk
Community Member

Glad it worked, definitely would help if they added these troubleshooting steps in the instructions.

Tmus
Community Member

Change the WiFi setting for each unit to your iPhone hot-spot to complete the setup for each.  Once complete, return the WiFi for each unit to whatever home WiFi you use/prefer.  For some reason with the iPhone, only the first unit successfully connected to the app using the normal house WiFi.  I was able to connect several units to the same house with this method (3rd Gen learning thermostat.)  Good luck!!

DTH31
Community Member

I successfully added the first Next 3rd Gen thermostat, but got the TD013(4096) code when trying to add the 2nd identical thermostat.  Both thermostats and my iPhone were all on the same WiFi network.

I saw on another thread where someone with this problem successfully resolved it by connecting both thermostats to his iPhone, using it as a hotspot, then adding the 2nd thermostat.  After the 2nd thermostat had been added, both thermostats and the iPhone were reconnected to the home WiFi network, and both thermostats were accessible via the Nest app

I tried the same thing and IT WORKED.  YAY!!!!!

Koacanvas
Community Member

i tried both and it doesn't work. do you have any number I can called 

kandhhastings
Community Member

I really don’t understand how the heck google hasn’t addressed this issue which has existed for well over a year.

dngray71
Community Member

I had the same issue. tried for hours. loaded the app on my ipad and it worked no problem. i checked the settings on my phone and noticed the "local network" setting was off, but it was to the on position on my ipad. not saying that is the issue for sure, but you may try checking that setting.