cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Connecting Sensor to Thermostat in Google Home

rhanzlik
Community Member

Google recently notified Nest owners that it was discontinuing support of the Dropcam camera, and would replace these devices with Nest Cams at no cost.  I had two Dropcams and just received replacement Nest Cams.  Surprise.  These new Nest Cams do not connect with the Nest App but only Google Home.  So I downloaded Google Home and connected my three older Nest cameras along with the new Nest Cams with no problem.  But ...

None of the cameras now on Google Home will connect with the four Nest Temperature Sensors.  If I want to use the Sensors, I have to go to the Nest App, and this app doesn't recognize the new Nest Cams.  I'd like the Sensors to work with Google Home, and avoid having to navigate between the Nest App and Google Home.

Question for Google:  How/when will the Temperature Sensors be recognized by Google Home?

5 REPLIES 5

TechWithBrett
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Hello rhanzlik,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Community. It is great to hear you are able to see all of your Nest cameras in the Home app. Were your Nest Thermostats able to transfer over and just not the Temperature Sensors? These should automatically appear in the Home app once you have link the Nest app to your Google account.

Google is working on adding full functionality of Nest devices into the Home app this year but as of right now you still will need to use the Nest app and the Home app for different functions.  Here is a list of what devices will be set up in which app for now: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9893532?hl=en

Let use know if you have further questions. 

Brett

Brett:  Thanks for your response.  My Nest thermostats did automatically transfer over in the Home app, but not the Temperature Sensors, as you suggested.  Having to use both the Home and Nest apps due to the Sensors not working in the Home app is annoying, with hopes this will be remedied  soon.  I suggest you make it very clear in materials on the Sensors that they do not work with the Home app, as I could find no explanation of this and would have delayed replacing my Dropcams with NestCams..

TechWithBrett
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

@rhanzlik thanks for the reply. The documentation is certainly limited about what is possible. I have received notice that other users are seeing their Nest Temperature Sensor in the Home app as seen in this picture.

Screenshot_20230412-232157 (1).png

To see if the sensors have been added to the Home app, open the app and scroll to the bottom of the page to the Linked to you section to see if they are available. 

If not, you could try using the, "sync my devices" command on the Google Assistant to force the  sync of the temperature sensors.

I'll keep looking for more official documentation on what is possible to do with the Temperature Sensor in the Home app.

I hope this helps.

Brett

Brett:

The "sync my devices" appears to solve the problem, as the Sensors now appear in the Thermostat info in the Home app.  Access to the Sensor information is not as easy as on the Nest app, but is not a deal killer. Thanks for your help.

TechWithBrett
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

It's great to hear that worked! Now I know what to do when I set up my new sensor. Let us know if you have any further questions.