cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

E103, yet again. No changes to wiring and I'm sure the unit has just gone bad...again.

H8_Nest
Community Member

Do these crummy things ever last more than a year?

This is the 2nd time one of these thermostats has crapped out and started sending the e103 code.

And yes, I know I have to call someone out, but I also know that they won't find any wiring changes, because there haven't been any, and they won't find that anything has worked loose, because it hasn't, but, because it has been just over the timeframe of the warranty, I'll have to pay to replace this silly thing again.

I am for sure going back to analog, but I would like to have some comfort between now and whenever my AC guys can come and charge me to tell me the Nest unit is bad...again.

I've done a restart and I can get the unit to blow cold air for 10 or 15 min, then the equipment change/wiring message pops up again (exact behavior as the last time it went out).

I've done a reset and couldn't even get the fan to blow in the setup.

Is there some way I can get this thing to run the AC for at least a night and a day until I can get someone to come and verify that it is trashed?

I'm open to anything that will make the thermostat run, even if it destroys the Nest unit - it's gone as soon as I can swing it.

1 Recommended Answer

H8_Nest
Community Member

Brought out our HVAC company, and though it took two tries, they determined the Nest Thermostat unit had gone bad again. They replaced it with a non-smart Digital Thermostat at no additional cost. Just the service fees.

Glad to be out of the Nest business.

View Recommended Answer in original post

41 REPLIES 41

Gha_919
Community Member

Same thing happening to me after being out of town for five days and my thermostat set to away/eco. Did all the troubleshooting, got three different error codes and still not working.  The house and thermostat are only three years old, nothing changed over the five day period. I also have a sensor that monitors my electrical system and alerts on any power quality issues.  There has been nothing reported in a two year.  I’ve got someone coming out to take a look at things to confirm nothing is wrong with my system been replace my Google nest thermostat with a standard programmable thermostat.  After reading all these comments and day two of 85° temperatures makes my smart thermostat a really dumb idea!

wb1
Community Member

Same problem.  Read this thread.  Checked the wiring between the thermostat and the furnace (it was fine).  Assumed the nest was broken.  Got a cheap Honeywell at Lowe's and replaced it.  A/C still didn't work.  went to bed.  This morning found the fuse on the control board for the furnace blown.  Replaced the fuse.  Blew again.  Ordered a new board.  Before replacing the board decided to check the wires outside.  Sure enough,  something had run between the compressor and the house (animal, kid, who knows) and pulled the wire, which was deteriorated and obviously shorting (insulation gone in a lot of spots).  Replaced the wire.  Reinstalled the nest.  No more code.  Everything is awesome.  Just gotta take the 300 dollar control board back.  Kind of ironic that the nest was actually trying to help me with the problem and my "fix" was just making things worse by blowing fuses on the board.