cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message H71

Thesarge46
Community Member

Just had a refurbished nest thermostat because my 6 month old one had an error message W5, now the refurbished one won't connect to the heat link error H71, google are saying get in touch with a nest pro, why should I pay for a faulty product which is only 6 months old,  is there a fix for H7, thanks. 

9 REPLIES 9

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

H71 means your thermostat isn't connected to heat link properly. Here are some steps you can try:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9240096?sjid=3110956631991378155-EU#disconnected_heatli...

Thanks for your reply,  I have tried everything but nothing works. 

Let's start from the beginning, are you saying you have an original Heat Link, and now have a refurbished display from Nest? The display will not pair with the Heat Link, correct?

Do you have any lights on the Heat Link, if so what colour?

The display screen you say has the error H71, correct, and can't go any further, correct?

What exactly have you tried as you say you have tried everything?

Hi, yes I have received a refurbished thermostat because my original one had error message w5,  I have got the original heat link,  I have reset the heat link by holding the boost button in the middle for 20 seconds and I only get a blue flashing light, no yellow light,  I also turned the heat link off for an hour seeing if that would help,  the thermostat just says connecting to heat link but says cannot connect. 

From the information there you have not done everything at all. The easy thing would have been to search this forum, as this has been talked about time and time again!!

Why would you want a yellow light???? The only light you need is a blue one!!!

The reason the display will not connect to your Heat Link is, you now do not have a factory paired set. Meaning from now you will have to pair manually, hence the H71 error!!!

Start here, press and keep pressed - [do NOT release the button] the Heat Link button for at least 40 seconds, you will then get a blue pulsing light, ignor anything that happens until you get to the 40 seconds ish. when the blue light pulses, release the button. Do that TWICE.

Now look on your Heat Link where the cover screw is, and you will see a 6 digit code. Make a note of those numbers. Now go to your display, and you should see the following. Check again, Reset, Replace Heat Link, Technical. You want the REPLACE HEAT LINK. Click that and follow the screen instructions.

With luck you should pair together.

Hi, thank for your reply,  I'm out at the moment but I definitely try this in the morning, thanks. 

Your welcome, and perhaps one of the so called Mods could have pointed the obvious out for you!

The Nest pro with luck will not be needed, but update here what happens!

Thank you so much, it worked,  Customer services was telling me to hold the button for 20 seconds but it wouldn't connect,  I done what you told me and it worked first time. Thank you again. Gary 

Well at least you didn't need a Nest Pro to get you out of trouble. Perhaps next time you should search the forum, it's much easier.

The 20 seconds isn't really the main problem, as I said you now do NOT have  matched pair. Pairing will need the code everytime now, where as before it paired itself before the replacement.

I don't really understand why you contacted Google in the first place, as the thermostat was only 6 months old! Why on earth did you not get the retailer/installer to get the problem repaired? You have more of an issue now with warranty as you used Google, as the retailer/installer can tell you it's not an original set after they replaced. The retailer/installer is responsible for at least 5 years!!!!