cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Have Duel Fuel System But No Pro Installer in my Area

jtanquar
Community Member

I have Duel Fuel with heat pump as primary and furnace as aux. The compatibility checker says I need a pro installer. However, from what I’ve read in various forums, this seems like a job I can do myself.

The problem seems to be that I will need a Pro ID code to access the Pro Settings to adjust the programming. Unfortunately, there is no Pro Installer in my area. 

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

F5A0D433-2E7D-48CA-8D67-4B866E7C62AC.jpeg

3 REPLIES 3

Eddie24361
Community Member

You can install the Nest Learning V3 without a pro installer. I thought the same as you but I reset my thermostat and started over and did not choose the pro option and it let me continue. It was fairly easy after I did not choose the pro option. I think the biggest thing is to make sure the heatpump does not run at the same time as the other heat source. One thing that did stump me was a place where it showed the wires and some were green and some were yellow and marked 'check'. You just need to select them and choose what that wire controls. I am not a professional and only telling what worked for me. Proceed at your own risk.

gregshaffer19
Community Member

The white wire on auxiliary will go as your second source of heat on your nest thermostat you have to get into the menu and program it for dual fuel but that’s the wire you use everything else will be the same except for the emergency it’ll be eliminated unless you have heat strips somehow

BILL8
Community Member

Nest wants to you pay a pro-nest installer to set up the thermostat.  I had the same problem  on a new replacement system that was on a Nest with the old one. I took three trips by different technicians for me to explain how a dual fuel system works.  They had contacted Nest support and still did not have a clue how to not run the gas furnace and heat pump at the same time. The compressor lock out on the thermostat will have conflict with the heat pumps built in lock out.  I hate that I've invested so much with Google.  I never had any issues until a few years ago. They're slick on how they've changed their business model. They want the homeowner out of the setup.