cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

NEST LEARNING THERMOSTAT W5 ERROR MESSAGE UK

Kim7
Community Member

Hello,

My first post here so hello to all.

I've read many a thread about the W5 error message and note in the US, repalcements are given FOC and yet I'm told in the UK that I need to purchase a replacement as mine is out of warranty. Additionally, I've read that Google has found issues pertaining to the heat link in EU thermostats. I'm just wondering if my W5 could be caused by a faulty heat link?

4 REPLIES 4

Frustratedddd
Bronze
Bronze

The simple answer is no the Heat link did not cause the W5 error, that error comes from a faulty wifi chip! This is a well know fault, and Nest are fully aware.

How old is your stat? I assume you say out of warranty, which is 2 years, BUT, here in the UK the retailer where you purchased would be my first port of call. They are responsible far longer than 2 years. Search consumer law.

Kim7
Community Member

Thank you for your thoughts. I'll check back with the retailer.

Just be aware they WILL fob you off, saying out of warranty etc., etc., BUT the reason for claiming from the retailer is, THEY are responsible, NOT the manufacture.

A thermostat of that cost should last for at least 5years plus, 2 years is NOT a reasonable length of time.

The product should be: Fit for purpose, of reasonable quality, and last for a reasonable length of time.

They may ask you to prove you have not caused the fault, just say that's fine I can do that, BUT whatever cost that may be accured in doing that, YOU as the retailer will also be liable to pay that when I have proved the item is faulty through bad components. They cough and splutter a bit, but the advantage is in your hands.

This is basic UK consumer law, please look it up. This covers anything you have purchased, and worth remembering, and that goes for anyone in the UK.

Kim7
Community Member

Thanks. Sound advice for all consumer items.