cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Thermostat E

Jockster
Community Member

Hi our Nest Thermostat E is playing up in that the battery is either not charging or is not holding any charge received.  When removed from the ‘stand’ and charged from a power socket with a USB cable we see blinking green lights with instructions “Please attach the screen to its base.”

When I attach the screen to the base I barely have enough power to achieve a restart before I get a message saying the thermostat is shutting down to charge the battery.  

Having finally achieved a restart the app is saying the thermostat is not attached to the power despite being plugged in on the base.  Then having removed the thermostat and charged for another 30 mins I managed a factory reset however when I go through the setup process the battery ran out of power when connecting the thermostat to the Heat Link.

is it possible to but a new thermostat rather than having to purchase the whole lot again to replace an item that’s only about 30 months old.  The fact the thermostat battery is non-replaceable is not consumer friendly in this day and age along with a sealed power supply cable so that the can’t be replaced either!  

!

5 REPLIES 5

Jockster
Community Member

Quick update after yet another bout of charging - whilst pairing the thermostat and heat link everything looks to be working and then I get a message the heat link could not be added to the Nest account.  Your thermostat can’t reliably connect to the heat link from this location.  Find a spot closer to the heat link and try again TH009(15.5)

I have the thermostat directly underneath the heat link and they are about three feet apart?

catfan
Community Member

My Nest learning t-stat is now a paperweight, after wasting time researching the blinking lights and $$ attempting to replace the battery. Luckily, I saved the original Honeywell unit I had prior to installation of our new HVAC system 3 years ago: it is back on the wall and working fine.  Sad all our new TECH only lasts a few years.

Jockster
Community Member

Completely agree on tech not lasting and I consider it to be planned obsolescence for the vast majority.  Unfortunately our previous thermostat died, hence the Nest E, so I’ve ordered a new Nest E tonight.  I don’t think the base is charging the thermostat so I may end up with a load of spare parts 😟

Jockster
Community Member

Turns out the base wasn’t charging the face of the thermostat and, as there’s no way to change the power cable, I’ve had to resort to buying a whole new system.

It would have been nice to have had a response from Google on here or to the email ticket I raised,  Being unable to replace the likes of power cables or order specific parts for the system has a whiff of planned obsolescence about it which doesn’t sit right in this day and age!

tschoem
Community Member

i'd love to be able to buy a new stand too. I can't actually understand why this breaks as it's all static parts tbh...