cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest power connection issue

Dana14
Community Member

I have installed the power connector and I believe it is correct. The thermostat worked for about 13 hours and now doesn’t have power. 

I am connecting to a Taco sr503 3 zone switching relay. 

please advise 

10 REPLIES 10

Dana14
Community Member

IMG_7872.jpeg

 I removed the red and white from zone 1, which is where the new thermostat is and connected them with the clips to the grey red and white on the power connector. I then connected the white cords labeled r and w from the power connector into where the thermostat cords were. I think connected the c from power connector to the 24v spot on the left into the spot on top with the white cord. 

Patrick_Caezza
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Dana14 

Try moving the wire connected to the 24VAC terminal on the left to the COM terminal below it.

The C wire is the common (return) for the 24VAC, which is supplied by the R terminals.

To ensure that I see your reply, please tag me using @Patrick_Caezza

@Patrick_Caezza do you mean wrap it around the orange thing sticking out? There isn't a port there. Right now, the C wire from the power connector is  is in the white input (with the white cord that was already there) in the green box labeled 24VAC. Below it there is this little orange numb but no way to "insert" it. 

Patrick_Caezza
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Dana14 

Move it from the terminal with the white wire to the terminal with the red wire. Pay no mind to the wire colors.

@Patrick_Caezza I originally had it in the white wire. It worked for 12 hours and then stopped. This morning I switched it to the red wire just for **bleep**s and giggles and it did not fix it. Google is sending me a new power connector as they suspect its faulty. Once I get it, I should connect it to the terminal with the red wire?

Patrick_Caezza
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Dana14 

No, These Taco Zone Controllers are a pain to get working with any smart thermostat.

The Instruction sheet for the controller says a resistor (1Kohm, 1/2w) may be needed between W and C terminals

SR503-4 Switching Relay Instruction Sheet .

Or,

You can go the external 24Vac transformer route to power the Google Nest Thermsotat. This is the route that I would take as it seems to work the magority of the time.

2022-04-06_182952.jpg2022-03-01_173137.jpg

@Patrick_Caezza so you’re saying you don’t think it will work with just the power connector and I need to buy a resistor? 

this is getting wild but I appreciate your help very much 

Patrick_Caezza
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Dana14 

You shouldn't need a resistor, but I suggest going the external transformer route, as that Taco board isn't designed to handle the extra power requirements.

@Patrick_Caezza I really appreciate your help! So just to confirm you are saying that the power connector won't work (it worked for a few hours but it didn't have enough power) so I need to buy an external transformer?

Would you mind recommending which one I purchase and also showing me the connection? Does it connect to the taco AND the power connector?

MrDrewT
Community Member

I have this same issue and the same question. Hope you get an answer here (that I can use too)!