cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest thermostat 3rd generation schedule not working

Imranp7318
Community Member

Hi all, i recently purchased nest 3rd generation thermostat and heatlink, i have set a maunal

schedule for heating to come on 5:45 everyday, however my hearing does on switch on. I can manually switch heating on from my phone and the thermostat, however whenever i schedule heating it does not switch on. I have changed the settings for auto schedule to off, does anyone have any information or clues regarding this?

33 REPLIES 33

SteveS
Community Member

Keen to hear the answer as I have the same problem.  Thermostat says x hours to heat yet no heat hitting the radiators.

I have checked on you tube and followed all the video guidance but still not working, i have my hot water scheduled and that is working fine, so just a bit confused as to what the issue is

Frustratedddd
Bronze
Bronze

Have you tried a factory reset, sometimes the software gets confused. I have come across this a few times, and the only way I resolved was with the factory reset.

GMB
Community Member

Similar issue here.

Have had it just under two weeks, the auto schedule has start times and temps filled (it's done this itself) but does not start. I've just set temps for the evening manually but what do I need to do to ensure the morning temps kick in? Using with a combi boiler. 

I have had a Nest E previously in a previous property and that worked fine. 

I do set it to eco each night and when leaving the house, is that causing an issue?

KerriS7
Community Member

Did anyone receive an answer as I can’t get a manual schedule to work either. It won’t automatically come on. 

GMB
Community Member

Hi

So for me it turned out to be the fact I was manually placing the Nest into Eco mode at night. If you do that then it will not come out of Eco until you also manually stop the mode. If you just put the temp down instead of Eco then you find the schedule starts kicking in.

Also you will find that after a period of inactivity in the house or if it detects you're away, it will automatically go into Eco but because it did that itself it will still go into heat mode based on the schedule it's learnt / you put in. 

Hope some of that helps. 

JanetB47
Community Member

Hi Imranp7318

We have exactly the same issues as you. Hot water schedule is fine and has been since installed on 4th January 2022. The heating is a different matter ! We have turned off the Auto-Schedule learning and reset . Manual schedule for heating now set up but heating still not coming on only to schedule. Only when turned on manually by phone or thermostat. If anyone has any ideas regarding this please let me know as this is getting beyond a joke now ! Thank you 

KerriS7
Community Member

Hi Janet, 

Mine was actually my fault. When I was setting the schedule I was turning the heating off. But it needed to be left on and just turned up and down for the schedule to work. So it’s on all the time but I just put it on like 9 degrees when I want it off and turn it up when I do on a weekend then the program works fine now for during the week. Also turn off true radiant. 
hope that helps. 

zoebtw
Community Member

i do this but am finding it doesn't come on again in morning if ive turned it up during the day...any ideas 

B-FHY
Community Member

Ok, so I may have a solution. I was having the same issue. What I was doing during the day was turning the heating on at 25degrees so the heating would stay on and when I wanted it off I’d just choose the off function. What the issue is, is the schedule won’t work if your heatings in the off function. The heating needs to be on, so if at anytime you want the heating off, just set the temperature to the lowest setting. That way the heating will turn off as your house will always be warmer then the lowest setting but it won’t be in the off function. It also helps with the scheduling as you can set your preferred temp in the morning and then set the lowest temp for when you want it off. Hope this makes sense for anyone having the issue.

hpmr93
Community Member

I'm getting slightly frustrated with the comments saying they figured it out followed by an explanation of a mistake they made. This is an actual problem with either the connection or the nest software that I'm searching for solutions to. I have the schedule set to be between 66 - 75 at 9PM and then turn up to 73 - 80 at 6AM. During the day (between 6 AM and 9 PM), the temp should not go below 73, right? Well currently my thermostat shows the temperature is 68 even though you can clearly see in the same view that my set range is 73 - 80 degrees. Until I open the app or manually get up and go check the thermostat, the heat will not come on. The second I touch the thermostat, it's like my nest realizes it's behind and kicks on the heat immediately. This is a nasty issue for obvious reasons - I woke up to a 60 degree apartment this morning.

KerriS7
Community Member

Just trying to help, if you haven’t already tried nest have a message contact in the app. I had them go through everything with me, sending pics of the nest etc to work out what was going on. I’m sure they’ll replace it if yours is faulty, Hope you get it sorted! 

B-FHY
Community Member

Well my comment was an instruction to a solution that worked for myself and seeing other comments it has also worked for other people. Just because it’s not a fix for your issue doesn’t mean it doesn’t fix others.

I have two nest thermostats.  Heat is set to 71° and cooling to 75°.  When Google took over I had to perform a complete reset on both thermostats to get the remote function to operate again. Previous to this, they worked flawlessly.  I populated the schedule with about 10 commands per day to stay at my scheduled temperature. If nobody walks past, the thermostat becomes lazy and doesn't work, if you stop and look at it, well then it kicks in and starts working.  I can bring up the Air Conditioning time on commands by tapping on the bar that shows the heating and cooling times and I can see where it ignores multiple commands for the AC to be on.  The upstairs in my house was 82° despite having 75° commands.  This is a software issue and whatever Google did when it took over, it wrecked a good product.

I intend to remove these thermostats next week and reinstall the old, trusty, bimetallic thermostats that were originally in the house and sell these fancy Nest/Google thermostats to some sucker online.

JanetB47
Community Member

Hi KerriS7 and B-FHY

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I ended up calling the Google Nest helpline. The person we spoke to was very helpful and went through the various things we had done to try and rectify the problem. In the end he told us we had to have the heating on all the time and just set the thermostat temperature down to say 15 degrees when we wanted it “OFF” but don’t actually turn it off.  If only this was explained clearly it would have saved days of reading pages and pages of the online manual !

KerriS7
Community Member

Yes this was mine to! They should definitely come with better programme instructions because it’s clear a few of us were caught out on this! Happy Heating! 

Roobster
Community Member

Having same issues. And not because of the irrelevant things everyone else is posting that are fixable. Hope we get a resolution soon. I’m going to try a reset. 

hpmr93
Community Member

I was in the same boat and the reset didn’t help so I ended up getting a replacement. At least Nest support was great for that portion, just unfortunate it was necessary. Haven’t had any issues so far

NCRiddle
Community Member

I think I found my solution. I have not programmed my Google to react when my phone is in house and the Google App thought we were "Away" rather than in the house, so the schedule didn't activate thinking were were "Away".

TomTomTom
Community Member

I haven’t read all of these but just in case it helps.  I set my schedule up, but turned the  nest heat settling to off instead of heat, thinking the schedule turned the heating  from off to heat, it doesn’t.  You have to put the setting on heat, leave the heating on, but lower the temp overnight so as it doesn’t come on, and then set a time/temperature for it to rise to.

Hope this helps but apologies if it’s already mentioned or to obvious 

camren
Community Member

I believe I found it. Go to the app settings and select the home/away assist. Then select "what decides if you're home." Then make sure that all devices say No. You do this be selecting the device and toggling the switch. You can also go to the away and change the away settings to be eco off. That worked for me. It seemed that Eco kept kicking on unless I moved in front of the device and that was my problem. 

emross
Community Member

I don’t have “what decides if you are home” or away settings. 

emross
Community Member

My problem is the opposite. I have the heat programmed to be very low at night as I like it cool and it wakes me up, but it kicks on anyway at 4am or so to a temp higher than set in the schedule. It’s not scheduled to change until hours later. I’ve turned off all settings that I can. Writing this at 5am, unfortunately. 

TomTomTom
Community Member

Hi, have you got a screenshot of your schedule that you could post?

emross
Community Member

It was at 64 when I wrote the prior message, at 4am. I have one but it won’t let me add a photo here. 

tohider
Community Member

Jusy made a simple schedule, but it's just not kicking in. Another thread from over a year ago says you have to schedule on a desktop/browser rather than the app which seems mad! Has this not been fixed? Nest admins, please advise. 

Hi - You should be able to build a simple schedule using the app.  Can you post details of temps & times of you schedule here?

Hi Tom. 

I have made the schedule already, every day exactly the same:

• 16C at 4am
  • 17C at 6am
  • 16C at 8am
  • 9C or eco at 10pm, i.e. dont want it to heat between 10pm and 4am.

And the schedule on the app shows up fine, but the temp setting doesn't change at the times stated. As if it's ignoring the schedule. Auto-schedule is off, eco is off, I'm at home and that's confirmed. Can't think what else it could be. 

I thought maybe the location setting is wrong, so it thinks I'm in a different time zone, but address is all good.

What else could it be?

Thanks 

What is your Home and Away assist set to in settings?  I switched mine to off..  Auto-Schedule also to off. True Radiant to off.  Everything else under nest sense is set to ready.  My 10pm temperature is set to 9 each day.

Under options I have Eco at 9.5 Safety 4.5, 

Try this and if you still have problems we can check for settings on the nest thermostat, make sure they match up to 👍

Cancel that. It does in fact work, but it doesn't kick in until the first scheduled change after you've programmed it... I expected it to obey my command instantly!

FYI Tom, It works with home/away assist ON and OFF. just tested both.

Thanks

KerriS7
Community Member

Make sure you leave it on all the time and just use the temp gauge to turn it down. I was switching mine off and that’s why it didn’t kick in. 

PaddyK
Community Member

This is so spot on. I was doing the same thing and had heating turned off. It needs to be on to be able to run a schedule.

JohnW1
Community Member

If your Nest isn't following the manual schedule, check the thermostat's LOCATION setting.  Gen 3, at least, allows you to designate your ZIP CODE.  This is what determines the time zone, and thus when your schedule kicks in.  I discovered that my LOCATION mysteriously changed to California (vs Massachuetts) after the internet company conducted some system maintenance and upgrades.  Everything was off by 3 hours until I stumbled across this issue.