cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest thermostat, AC compressor will run, blower will run and shut off

AHawk21
Community Member

I installed a nest learning thermostat this past Christmas. Over the winter I had no issues with the thermostat turning on the heat or using any other function.

But this summer I’m experiencing issues with the AC. The thermostat will turn the AC unit on but the blower will only stay on for a few minutes at a time and then will shut off and the AC unit will continue to run. In the few short minutes the blower stays on, there is cold air and seems to work as it should. The blower will not turn back on unless I turn the thermostat off and on again only to stay on for a few minutes as previously stated.

Any help or advice as to what could be causing this issue will be very much appreciated. 

UPDATE:

On the initial setup of the nest learning thermostat 3rd gen, the nest said common wire was not required. However, after doing much research I learned that sometimes the power the nest itself provides is not sufficient to operate all areas of your hvac system. Therefore, sometimes the common wire is needed to provide consistent power to the nest in order for your hvac system to work properly. So I decided to install the common wire that it initially told me was not required and my blower now stays on for the entire time I use my ac unit. 

So if you’re having similar issues with your h vac system with a nest learning thermostat 3rd gen, I would try installing the common wire into the nest to provide it with consistent power. 

5 REPLIES 5

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@AHawk21 , the Nest turns the blower fan on in the cool mode.  That is say, when the Y wire is energized to start cooling, the G wire is also energized by the Nest Thermostat to turn on the blower fan.  Sometimes blower fans that are going bad will overheat and shut down. However, it would not restart just by shutting it off and turning it back on.  Do you know if you an ECM type motor or is it a PSC type motor? If you can get the model number of the furnace I can look it up.  

AC Cooling Wizard

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

Thank you very much for your reply, I will look up the model number as soon as I can. I’m currently at work. 

hi, i think am having similar issue, few days ago my blower fan turned off but i heard the noise of freon still running inside the coils, i checked unit outside and it was still running with the inside blower fan motor off. next day a technician came home and diagnosed bad blowing motor and capacitor of blower and replaced it, it was ok for 2 days but last night it did the same issue. inside blower fan turned off and outside unit continued running on. i uninstall and reset nest learning thermostat and removed nest account and phone app, then reinstalled again nest thermostat unit with different new google account , but this time turned off settings of early on, cool to dry, eco mode, etc, etc, all off except airwave setting keeps on, after that the blower fan and outside unit kicked on properly and worked all night without issues.

do you think im having that same issue you described  or do you think i have issues with my thermostat or settings?

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Rafapercall , It is hard to arm chair diagnose a blower motor problem. Part of the issue is knowing the type of motor your system employs.  A service technician can perform diagnostics on the blower motor to determine if there is a problem. A consumer can do something to test the blower fan without the AC running. Use your Nest and turn the blower fan on for a few hours and see if it stays on.  

AC Cooling Wizard

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

My ac compressor will run for 2-3 mins if that and turn off for 3-5 mins. Brand new ac, I replaced it because I thought it was the problem. Turns out many people have problems with the nest and the ac compressor actually cooling the house. My ac ran ALL NIGHT and the temp is 75 this morning.  
I am really close to just buying a thermostat that will JUST WORK!