cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest thermostat won't connect to app

Bob3
Community Member

My 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat won't connect to the app. Everything else is good, including Wi-Fi. I tried both the QR code and the entry key. The QR code tries to connect then goes to an error. The entry key hangs and does nothing.

1 Recommended Answer

gypsyldy
Community Member

This is a paste of @Stevew89 post, since you can't locate it.  This worked for many folks, including me.

1.) Remove your thermostat from the Nest app. Tap your thermostat on the Nest app home screen, then tap Settings. Scroll down and select Remove thermostat.
2.) On your thermostat, go to Settings and then Reset and then WWN Connection.
3.) Select Reset and confirm that you want to reset. Your thermostat will restart.
4.) Go to Settings and then Network and reconnect your thermostat to Wi-Fi
5.) Go to Settings and then Nest app and get the entry key.
6.) Start the Nest thermostat installation flow again. On the Nest app home screen tap Settings and then Add product. Choose your thermostat and select Already installed to skip ahead to the entry key step. Type in the entry key you see on the thermostat screen.

View Recommended Answer in original post

220 REPLIES 220

Do you have any clarification on how to perform the steps suggested? 

Still didn't work

Starting to sound like 5G is causing more problems than it is worth...

Dina1
Community Member

Where is a phone number for the nest app support person?

Had the same problem and after 2 days on attempts figured out what my issue was - First thermostat set up with app fine, 2nd and 3rd would’t connect.

Problem was due to my prior setup in the Nest app, I didn’t allow Nest to connect with other devices and use bluetooth  (these are not necessary when the first thermostat is setup but are needed for additional devices) so I deleted my Nest app, reinstalled the app accepting all Nest requested options, reset the thermostats (press the thermostat for 10 seconds to reset) then reconnected using the Nest app in the thermostat, and voila, both #2 and #3 thermostats connected to the app..

Hope it helps.

Tried doesn’t work 

WOW

This is absolute BS!

I have the same issue - 1st thermo, NO issue, 2nd wont connect  to app.

AND, from above dozens of same issue, Google is NO help - really?!?!

how can i get this fixed?

MikeMc
Community Member

Is it possible to get google to help with THEIR issue

Done with Nest/Google products - they don’t support their customers 

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Completely possible to contact Google support , this forum is for community members to speak to each other, but if you need to contact support you can do that as well! 

https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp?hl=en

Stevew89
Community Member

You may be able to reset your thermostat’s Works with Nest connection. This option is available for Nest thermostats in the US and Canada

1.) Remove your thermostat from the Nest app. Tap your thermostat on the Nest app home screen, then tap Settings. Scroll down and select Remove thermostat.
2.) On your thermostat, go to Settings and then Reset and then WWN Connection.
3.) Select Reset and confirm that you want to reset. Your thermostat will restart.
4.) Go to Settings and then Network and reconnect your thermostat to Wi-Fi
5.) Go to Settings and then Nest app and get the entry key.
6.) Start the Nest thermostat installation flow again. On the Nest app home screen tap Settings and then Add product. Choose your thermostat and select Already installed to skip ahead to the entry key step. Type in the entry key you see on the thermostat screen.

adamluz
Community Member

This worked for me. Wow, that was annoying. Thank You!!!!

Bcrig
Community Member

Wow! I have literally looked for how to solve this (on and off) for a few months! Wasn't a huge issue that 1 of our 3 nests was not connecting, but it was definitely an inconvenience. Thank you

This does not work on my second thermostat. It worked for my first. Nor did using a non-5 G network. very annoyed and frustrated with this system.

Grandit
Community Member

Thank you! Have been using various versions of the Nest stat, even before Google bought them and it used to be a simple device to add. This was an annoying problem which wasted a few hours of my day off. Sigh.

And whatever happened to the Nest E? Can only buy them through their "Pros" it seems. Another step back.

kstro
Community Member

I had tried everything until I got here to reset the WWN to create a new key. It worked for me. Thank you very much! 

ASzaf
Community Member

This is the only method that worked!  Thank you!

DoninAZ
Community Member

Success!  Thank you for your recommendation.  This has been very frustrating but your solution worked.  Time for a glass of wine 🍷 

What is the WWN please tell me.

WillV
Community Member

It worked! “Thank the maker” for Stevew89!!!

Mostyn
Community Member

Steve -  have gone through this drill.  No connection.  It used to work is connected to the router but now, I have no thermostat icon on my app. Removing everything and restarting made sense but no change and every other Nest device on my network works - just not the thermostat.

rootiment
Community Member

Same issue I have tired every solution offered here and on Google support sites.  Nothing correct this.

literally wasted hours and hours trying to figure this out--setting up new wifi, connecting to the phone for new hotspto, etc--in the end this worked for me (deleting the Nest app and reinstalling and allowing access).  not sure it will work for all other but hopefully it will work for some.

msane1
Community Member

Following worked for me:

used two diff google accounts for two diff thermostats on two diff floors. And switch between accounts to access one or the other. All within Nest app. 

WIWD
Community Member

Thank you for this suggestion! This worked for me!

Thanks for saving what was left of my day.  This worked perfectly! 

No luck what-so-ever here on my end!! So far it’s only been a huge waste of time.

I have same error

K2
Community Member

I have same issue 2 stats work and 1 won’t connect to the app. Error code TD014. 

Eda1964
Community Member

I am having the same problem. Can’t connect the Nest 3rd gen Learning thermostat to my network. But when I try to link it to app, and use QR, it fails. I got my new high end Nest specifically to hook it to my smart home and Alexa. 2 hours of wasted weekend trouble shooting later, and  still no luck. My older Nest upstairs worked and dropped in easily. My older Nest upstairs installed easy. Why was it easy and this better, more e pensive model worse?!

Danno
Community Member

Same with me. 

Fallen
Community Member

I have the same issue. I have 2 stats one connected the other won’t. 

Mikechamp
Community Member

I had the same issue. 2 out of the 3 connected and one didn’t. I removed all of the thermostats from the nest app first, then started over by connecting the app to the troubled thermostat first. Then I added the other two after with no issues. Hope this helps!

I did not need to reset anything by the way. Just delete all your thermostats from the nest app, then reconnect to them all. I started with the bad thermostat first.

This definitely helped me. I went through countless attempted solutions only for this one to work. I went into the Google Home app, removed the working thermostat device from my account. Tried to set up the second thermostat that was giving me issues and this time it finally got past the step of connecting to another Nest device to assist with connecting to Wi-fi. After the second problematic thermostat finally finished setting up successfully, I went back to the first thermostat and re-added it via the Google Home app and now both are working fine.

DJZ
Community Member

Thanks so much. Spent hours trying to get my stat on line. Your process worked!

Finally! This worked for me also. If you remove the 1st working one from the Google Home App completely, then go to the NEST app and add the others (which now you can add), then finally restart the thermostat and re-add the first one. Google fails again, offering zero support and far fetched solutions that don't work. These thermostats work off 5G just fine btw. Here's a hint Google -- try actually testing your products before you sell them to us for $250 a pop and expect us to figure out your buggy products.

Cederholm
Community Member

I'm having this same issue. Two new Nest thermostats in a new setup. The thermostats ARE connected to the network but wont connect to the app. I've tried connecting with two iPhones and an iPad with both the Nest app and the Google home app. Very frustrating!  

Slava1984
Community Member

Ok So I tried everything in this thread. One thing worked for sure is removing all thermostats, resetting them and starting with the one that didn't work. Also, I switched to 2.4 GHz network and they all connected. 

Hi Slava. In which app did you successfully add them - nest or Google home?

YCb
Community Member

Good question