cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Second Nest thermostat won't let me choose a different wi-fi

JahnnyCache
Community Member

I have two Nest thermostats for two separate HVAC units, upstairs and downstairs. Both have been connected to my main router, but the upstairs one has had a weak, unreliable connection. I now have a wi-fi extender upstairs that has its own wi-fi name that must be connected to separately. I have yet to find a way to get the upstairs Nest to connect to the wi-fi extender (I know the extender works - other devices are connected to it).  Every time I use Google's instructions to delete the Nest device and reinstall it (to change wi-fi networks), it never gives me the option to choose another network -- it just automatically connects to the original router. Same happens if I do a factory reset. I even tried disconnecting and powering off the downstairs Nest thermostat before the reset process so that the upstairs one wouldn't use that one to automatically connect to the same network. Still no dice. I've tried clearing saved wi-fi networks from the Home app, but the Nest still automatically connects to the main router. I have a Sonos speaker system. Could it be using that to connect to the same network since it's compatible with Google? I hate to have to disconnect the Sonos system just to get my Nest to prompt me to choose another network. Any ideas? Google should make changing wi-fi networks for individual devices much easier. At the very least, you should be able to cancel the automated wi-fi connection process and choose your own network. This is ridiculous.

0 REPLIES 0