cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Transferring ownership to new home owners

missy2018
Community Member

Hi,

I need to transfer ownership of the Nest thermostat to the people who bought the house last month.  My understanding is that, as long as the account is linked to me, the new home owners are unable to program the device on their own.

The issue is that I no longer have the Nest app on my phone.  All the directions I've found online  seem to begin with accessing the App on the phone...

What do I need to do to delete my account and transfer it to the new homeowners?

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@missy2018 

Google Nest's instructions say you can remove your device (thermostat) in the Google Home app:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/11151047?hl=en&sjid=3373479493240090744-NA#zippy=%2Cnes...

But if you have to use the Google Nest app, can't you just reinstall it on your phone and log in with your original credentials?

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

It is pretty simple, the Nest account is linked to the email you set it up with. Just reload the app, or log in online using the same email and password.  Then select the thermostat listed in your account, scroll down to REMOVE, and select it. This will remove the thermostat form your account.  If you were using the Google Home app, you can do the same thing, The key is though, the thermostat itself must be attached to the Internet to be updated with the nest account deletion. There is no need to do a RESET.  The equipment is not changing only the linked nest account is being deleted. 

AC Cooling Wizard. 

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ensure that everything was covered here.

Thanks for the input, @MplsCustomer and @CoolingWizard.

@missy2018, in addition to what was shared above, if you decide to completely remove your account with the Nest, simply go to your personal Google Account information here by signing in with the email account you linked with the Nest and go to the Security tab > Your connections to third-party apps and services, then scroll for Nest and remove.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Regards,
Mark

Hi missy2018,

I'm checking back in. Were you able to do the steps above? I'd be glad to hear from you — I'd like to make sure everything is good to go.

Thanks,

Mark

I have not been successful in deleting Nest thermostat. I have sold the house.  The new owner will not be moving in right away.  There is no internet connection in the home at this time.  What is possible to do?

I am in a similar situation but I am the new homeowner and cannot restart service because I did not set up the account. Is there a way for me to take over without it being removed from the seller?

The new owner has not moved into the house and won't for awhile while renovations are completed.  Will her phone internet connect to the Nest thermostat?

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

As long as you have “removed” the thermostat from your account, when the Nest is reconnected to the Internet it will reach out to the Google nest cloud server, and should receive the notification to delete the Nest ID. As long as the Nest Thermostat has no Nest Account ID assigned to it, and it is not in “locked” state, the new owner will be able to take ownership control of the thermostat.

AC Cooling Wizard 

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.