cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

W5 Error

Stpierredm
Community Member

Hello. I’ve had a Nest 3rd gen Learning Thermostat for about 4 months now and it’s been awesome! Today it started showing error code W5 it isn’t seeing my router or my mobile hotspot and I’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps repeatedly, restarted my router, entered the name and password manually still no joy. I need help.

*Note: Title edited for clarity*

2 Recommended AnswerS

ArtVandeley
Community Member

The only solution is to get a replacement. You need to contact Google Nest customer support, explain your thermostat has the error w5 and they send you a replacement pretty fast, that is all you can do. I called them last week and I already received mine that now works well.

View Recommended Answer in original post

cpuuri
Community Member

I followed the instructions to reset the device, but that didn't work. Mine also has recharging issues after 2 months of working perfectly. I called support at 855-469-6378 and shared my trouble shooting steps and current status. They are in process of sending a refurb. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

115 REPLIES 115

LK1
Community Member

Nhuff89,

I did contact Google.  They assured me I could get a replacement and gave me a link to the site.  The site has been down so no replacement.  The thermostat works, there is just no connectivity so I can access it online.  Oh well, it's just like an old school normal thermostat now and I am fine with that!

Bamacd67
Community Member

Went through online Google/Nest Help chat and they sent me new one. First one gave me W5 error, so they sent me a second one and it worked.  Product is obviously defective so luck of the draw if you get one that works. 

jwbenoit357
Community Member

I have been having this issue for quite some time.  My thermostats say connected by my phone shows them as offline.  I have tried every possible trouble shooting suggestion,  Uninstalling the app and re-installing, resetting my thermostats, router and modem and nothing works.  Please assist.  This is very frustrating

ktf1
Community Member

t has been a while since I had the problem - what I did was go to the Nest site, gave them the serial number of the Thermostat and requested a replacement. They sent a replacement and I returned the defective one. The only reason they issued a replacement was because this was a known issue with the WIFI chip in the device. So far, so good for the replacement - since October.

Mb1
Community Member

Same exact problem here, none of the trouble shooting has worked. Please help nest!

ktf1
Community Member

t has been a while since I had the problem - what I did was go to the Nest site, gave them the serial number of the Thermostat and requested a replacement. They sent a replacement and I returned the defective one. The only reason they issued a replacement was because this was a known issue with the WIFI chip in the device. So far, so good for the replacement.

Ambrielle
Community Member

I am having the same problem with the w5 code. I can't get it to connect to my internet. I've done everything it's told me to do. Please help! 

ktf1
Community Member

What I did was go to the Nest site, gave them the serial number of the Thermostat and requested a replacement. They sent a replacement and I returned the defective one. The only reason they issued a replacement was because this was a known issue with the WIFI chip in the device. So far, so good for the replacement - since October.

Ambrielle
Community Member

Did you ever get yours fixed? 

terry
Community Member

Nest offered a replacement, but it fixed itself and has been working fine to date. I suspect its faulty but will leave it alone until it fails again

Ambrielle
Community Member

How long did it take for them to get in contact with you? I still haven't heard anything. 

terry
Community Member

they called within a week.

Be sure to have your serial number available to avoid further delays.

wlrm17
Community Member

Same Problem. No Solution

Malking71
Community Member

Any updates as I'm having the same issue. Exhausted all troubleshooting efforts and still unable to connect to wifi 

Lukus_Robinski
Community Member

I’ve got the same fault.

Btaustin89
Community Member

I’ve been having the same issue at my vacation home for some time. I’d like to have a case created. 

nickbigslick
Community Member

Mine is the same way help

SouthCoastNest
Community Member

Having the same issue, seemed to work fine, then now just doesn't connect at all to any WiFi. Please help customer support!

Cnikim82
Community Member

I have been having the same issue for over two weeks, seems like this isn’t an isolated issue as many others are having the same problem.

Ez
Community Member

Same issue and no resolve, please help.  This is causing. Huge inconvenience to something is supposed to make our life easier.

ktf1
Community Member

Hi Ez - it has been a while since I had the problem - what I did was go to the Nest site, gave them the serial number of the Thermostat and requested a replacement.  They sent a replacement and I returned the defective one.  The only reason they issued a replacement was because this was a known issue with the WIFI chip in the device.  So far, so good for the replacement - since October.

ArtVandeley
Community Member

The only solution is to get a replacement. You need to contact Google Nest customer support, explain your thermostat has the error w5 and they send you a replacement pretty fast, that is all you can do. I called them last week and I already received mine that now works well.

Bangertrus
Community Member

I am having the same W5 issue as everyone else has noted.  Please send me a replacement.  Thank you

Call support at 855-469-6378 and share trouble shooting steps and current status. They are of sending a refurb. 

Asok
Community Member

My nest 3rd generation has same issue, not connecting in the wifi network W5 error, any help is appreciated.

cpuuri
Community Member

I followed the instructions to reset the device, but that didn't work. I called support at 855-469-6378 and shared my troubleshooting steps and current status. They are in process of sending a refurb. 

VladMo
Community Member

I have same issue, tried troubleshoot. resterted router, reset thermostat, reset network

Nothing helps tried to reconnect, now can not even get the code on nest app screen on thermostat. 

cpuuri
Community Member

I followed the instructions to reset the device, but that didn't work. I called support at 855-469-6378 and shared my trouble shooting steps and current status. They are in process of sending a refurb. 

Loak
Community Member

Did anyone get it solved? I see many people are experiencing the same issue (including me) but I can't find the answer with the solution 

terry
Community Member

Google replaced the wall thermostat unit and its all working fine now.

LK1
Community Member

Buy a Honeywell thermostat!!  I gave up on Google.  That update that killed my Google Nest also killed my Amazon Alexa.  No more Google products for me!

cpuuri
Community Member

I am having the same W5 issue after two months of owning the Nest.

cpuuri
Community Member

I followed the instructions to reset the device, but that didn't work. Mine also has recharging issues after 2 months of working perfectly. I called support at 855-469-6378 and shared my trouble shooting steps and current status. They are in process of sending a refurb. 

mpugliese
Community Member

Hi, I have the same issue. This it the 4th unit I have had that problem with (have them in two houses). These have been nothing but a problem since day one! Same scenario, worked for a number of months, in some cases 1-2 years, then this happens. Fixed before with replacements they sent me but the one I'm having a problem with now was one of the replacements. Not sure If I would even purchase another.

Hoping Google will help again

ED_K
Community Member

I’m having similar wifi connection issues with thermostat e, but my device is out of warranty so Google won’t replace the defective device. Is there any hope for a replacement or is there a way to replace the wifi chip?  I’ve already reached out to customer support and they just tell me to buy a new thermostat.  I could not believe their suggestion…for me to buy a new thermostat because it’s only 3 years old?  The kicker part of all this is my 3 year old device is brand new since I didn’t need the thermostat until now…and Nest or Google call these thermostats “smart”?

zengshengliu
Community Member

I have the exact same issue. Installed my 3gen learning thermostat on April of 2020. Last month, it start giving me the w5 error. Follow troubleshooting and contacted support, they determine the wifi chip is bad, but because mine is one month out of warranty, they said there is nothing they can do, and recommend me to buy another one. It is very disappointing for a $250 thermostat to failed in just 2 years.