cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wifi not detected and software out of date

tlives69
Community Member

I have a 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat, several months ago it stopped seeing my wifi and I cannot use it on the app. I have attempted over and over to reconnect it, reset the router, reset the thermostat, reinstalled with no success.  The version on the thermostat is severely out of date but due to no wifi connection I cannot update it. Could the old version be the reason it's not seeing wifi.  Can I update the thermostat by connecting to my computer and uploading update that way?

Very frustrated that I cannot get any answers or assistance.

4 REPLIES 4

laurentbourg
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for opening a new post of the topic tlives69. Are you getting a W5 error and did you discuss a replacement of your unit with Google support by phone or chat? Various users have been impacted by this hardware issue and my understanding is that Google has issued some replacements in those particular situations.  

There are no error codes, just says cannot find Wi-Fi. I have not contacted Google yet, was hard enough just trying to find some answers.

The wifi chip on the Nest is most likely defective if 1) it used to work well and a factory reset did not fix it, 2) you can use your wifi with other devices without any issues, 3) your Nest is not too far from your router. Suggest you call/chat with Nest support to request a replacement.

I’m having similar wifi connection issues with thermostat e, but my device is out warranty so Google won’t replace the defective device. Is there any hope for a replacement or is there a way to replace the wifi chip?