cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google home wifi point shows offline but isn't

rrrccc57
Community Member

Pretty simple set up of original google home network, been working for years until recently

Office-Wifi connected to ISP modem, Model AC1304, software version 14151.43.81
FamilyRoom-Wifi mesh connection, Model AC1304, software version 14151.43.81

Both the devices were purchased from google in a 3 pack.

First issue, a few months ago, I don’t know the exact date but may have coincided with the forced switch to Google Home App; FamilyRoom-Wifi point starts going offline, at least it says so in the “home” app, and stays offline until re-boot/power-cycle. Note the Google Home App notification says the FamilyRoom-Wifi point is offline but the lights on the device don’t indicate a problem. What’s up with that?

Second issue, 2 Roku devices within 4 feet of FamilyRoom-Wifi point, the Home app shows device 1 excellent connection 2.4ghz, but shows a weak connection 5ghz for device 2. Device 1 is a relatively new Roku stick (2.4ghz) device 2 (5ghz) is a TCL Roku TV. Note, device 2 shows it has an "Excellent" connection while the Home app shows weak. What’s up with that?

1 Recommended Answer

You are correct @rrrccc57 

after force closing the Google home app it reappeared.  Like others I’m leaving this alone for now.  My internet is working fine and I have better things to do with my life :).  Hopefully Google can reproduce this and fix this on a future version.  Thanks again!

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

PhilipinFrance
Community Member

Hi I’m new to this group but have had this for months. Pool lights, routers and music hubs all day offline but are connected and other then the iPhone saying offline work well. This IS A GOOGLE PROBLEM. And it’s time they fixed it. Complaining we will all move to other solutions isn’t practical, we have all spent lots of money on this solution. But mine is now 3 years old, it’s only another few years and we would probably migrate then. We have long memories Google and one by one you lose you customer base. So I suggest you need to step up. 

aabousei
Community Member

Two comments:

- My Android phone shows the status of the wifi points correctly while my iphone says they are offline

- Tried the IPv6 on and off thing but did not make any difference, iphone still says all my points are offline

Matt_SM
Community Member

The issue seams to be only on the iOS app.

Can others confirm it?

I have it on android and iphone, both had the issue, but like i stated above creating a new home in the home app and and factory resetting everything, then adding them to the new home has solved the issue for me since the 24th of aug, its working on both phones, iphone and android

That’s reconnecting a lot of devices

yeah it is!, i would say just as the google wifis to a separate home, to see if it solves the issue, 

Hum… interesting!

The real question is WHY Google technical team remains SILENCE here?!!
#ghostintown

That’s my experience. Works fine on Android phone but has issues on my iPhone. Also, although the tile says offline, if I click on it I still can do a speed check. Maybe we just have to ignore the tile. 

We can’t ignore the tiles on the Google App (showing offline & impacted devices) because it’s associated with integrated smart automated devices. Most smart devices are impacted and mines are not working the same as before. If Google get this fixed, life would be easier than using my cellphone to activate certain voice commands .

Blockhead
Community Member

Routers have been around for decades, hurry up and sort it out. I’ll happily throw out my Google wifi, cameras, subscriptions and move to Amazon if they can’t fix this

Eric63
Community Member
Hi - agreed its really annoying
Before chucking them out does anyone know if I put in a wired backbone of 3 of these D-Links Ax1800's (that are Google compatible) if I can then just re-add some of the Google pucks if the problem will go away and if I can still use voice commands for my lights and other tech?
 Thanks

CoffeeTalk
Community Member

Hi, everyone.  
This just showed up for me. I have four pucks, and I know it started yesterday because I've been resetting teens for school. It started this morning showing "loading" then "offline."  
None of the suggestions here have worked, and the network isn't down, but, I' m not comfortable with mystery bugs.  So, following. I noticed here and Reddit there doesn't seem to 1/be a fix and 2/ be an ETA?  Is that correct?

EDIT:  I called support. Long story short: "Something with the app." "Everything works fine." "No security concerns." but... "Could you please send in feedback because the more customers that do, the more help we can get getting it fixed. So, well-known bug as everyone said, but the CS guy wanted my help getting it prioritized.  That seemed a little backwards. 

Correct other than the IPv6 fix mentioned above which does not work

Thanks!  Frustrating bc I come from the school of thought that when there's one bug--there's more or an exploit--and I don't know what that means until identified/resolved.  Wondering how this ranks on a scale of "annoyance" to "critical." 

Like I said above.  For me the problem only occurs with my iPhone, works fine on Android.  Does anyone else see this?

Matt_SM
Community Member

Yesterday there was an update of the GOOGLE HOME iOS app; I was almost certain there would be a fix for this issue…. But…. NO!! 😑😑😑

Not sure what they have added in this update but for sure not the ‘offline’ issue

Eric63
Community Member

Are there any Google representatives still in this community who could perhaps give some feedback?

Matt_SM
Community Member

It doesn’t look like unfortunately…..

BovaFett
Community Member

I have 4 Google Wifi APs and have the same issue. Hard reset didn't fix. When I turn on IPv6, all the devices show online, but turning it back off pushes everything back to "offline" status.

One additional point. In another thread, someone suggest disabling Nest Cloud services. I did the, and disabled the router and point usage stats, and the problem clears up. It's unclear to me if I can manage my network while away, view devices, etc with cloud services off.

Spoke too soon. The status changed back to offline after reopening the app about 15 minutes later. With Cloud Services off, I also can't see and manage connected devices.

It’s a nightmare 

Eric63
Community Member

Thanks for trying

MatiasAlmeida
Community Member

Same issue here. I have 4 stations. The same offline problem in the Home App.

The wifi app was just perfect. The Home app is a pain in neck! 

Google please help. 

WaqN
Community Member

Same I’m having the same exact issue and it’s driving me nuts! I have updated wifi settings as instructed but that has not done anything for me….

nkouri
Community Member

My system says offline however, it is online, now when someone rings my nest doorbell, we no longer get notified by our wifi google mesh like we used to.  Keep missing people at the door!  

bobfrommd
Community Member

Now THATs a new one. Are you using an iPhone or Android phone ?

Benlamothe
Community Member

Glad to hear I am not the only one with this issue. Hope a fix comes soon because if not then it may be time to try another mesh provider. 

Yeah, I share your thoughts on this issue. It’s been a problem since May 2022 and a Google IT blogger said it’s a bug in the Google Home App and the developers are working on it. It’s 3 months and counting! 

aabousei
Community Member

Google seems to be confusing their free products with the paid for products. Hey Google we paid for the Next Wifi it isn't free just saying

I look at it like this--all Google products are paid products.  Eventually.  Either I'm ramping up to pay for storage or my "free" stuff if monetized as data. But you're totally right. There is no excuse not to push a fix, and even if there's some engineering issue I'm not smart enough to understand--zero excuse for the lack of communication.  Super easy to say, "Our bad, we've got that on the next sprint. We know it's annoying, but there's no underlying larger issue there so stick with us on this."   When their own CS reps say they can't get it through even...  Things break. Just... fix them please:) 

It’s been an issue since May 2022! Look through the thread and locate “Jeff’s” post.

aabousei
Community Member

Agree totally ..

MachadoLF
Community Member

I have installed Nest WI-FI Router this weekend and I’m having the same issue. Already tried reseting modem steps from other chain and changing IPV6, issue remains.

Hope this can be fixed soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath.  Luckily, at least with the google mesh, the wi-fi works great, it's just the tile in the app on the iphone.

Eric63
Community Member

I reset my entire system and created a new home but same issue remains

Jsmithstt
Community Member

It’s a google developer issue.

KevinJW
Community Member

I am having the same issued with H2D points/routers but not with a newer H2E point.  The IPV6 toggle makes no difference.  I have 4 H2D and 1 H2E in my mesh right now.

GHick
Community Member

Same issue with no toggle benefit. 

WebEnchantress
Community Member

Does everyone seeing this issue only have Spectrum for a service provider? (I have Spectrum and also having this issue)