cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest WiFi points go offline randomly

PKEgcomm
Community Member

my mesh is one router and two points. 
randomly, only my points are going offline. Router stays OK and connected to Internet.

sometimes just one point offline, others bot points at the same time. 
only solution is to power cycle each offfline point.

152 REPLIES 152

kbdick
Community Member

Just going to register that this is also an ongoing issue for me for whoever decides to take this up in a class action suit. Factory resets, setting tweaks don't work.

I have two Nest routers, one in bridge mode and connected via ethernet, along with three APs. The APs just randomly degrade or drop with no explanation. The house is only 2,200 sq feet, and the APs aren't more than 20 linear feet away from each other. I assume at this point that it is a hardware issue. Maybe putting a speaker with a permanent magnet and a coil of copper in a wifi AP wasn't the best idea due to interference?

Add another frustrated user with same issue. 

Mine has also been on the fritz the past few months, which means half of my house has spotty wifi and all of my other google/nest devices (cameras, thermostats, home devices, etc.) lose connectivity. So glad to have invested in this ecosystem...

Luvlypnai
Community Member

Same issue here for a few months too. So frustrating!

UnhappyCustomer
Community Member

I have the same issue, happens every couple of days, it has excellent connectivity when connected, it just goes offline every 2 days or so. Extremely annoying, especially as it takes out a couple of nest wifi cameras and is a security risk for us.

ABCcompSucks
Community Member

Yep. Total failure. Just experienced my last straw with a complete network disconnect.

Google home app is a complete failure and I'm beyond grateful I left my starlink router in another section of home as a secondary AP since the Google system is junk.

Unitydrive
Community Member

I have a combination mix of gen 1 and gen 2. My gen 2 nodes drop out multiple times a week now. Gen 1 never drops. Power cycle the whole network works but is annoying. Have security systems that don't work when it goes down

Sadly, looks like it's another Google product that just isn't fit for purpose. 

Google are not interested in resolving any of the issues with any of its products. They simply suggest upgrading to the new models. Yeah well that's not going to happen. 

If these were cheap products then I'd accept that you get what you pay for. The simple fact is they are expensive and just not worth it anymore. 

I now have multiple products that after recent updates do not work correctly. 

NOT GOOD ENOUGH GOOGL

kbdick
Community Member

Hey everyone - here to report that I had this problem and fixed it with Google support. Here is what my issue was, and how we fixed it.

Setup: 1GB fiber through AT&T to our garage. Set up a Nest Router and ran CAT6 to a switch in the garage, then to another switch inside the house, then to a Nest Router in bridge mode and had three Nest APs throughout the house. The connection would go weak and then crash, and then we'd lose connectivity for a minute while it reset.

Here was my fix and now everything has excellent connection with no issues, in this order.

1) Replace the switches with managed switches, which provide better connectivity. Result - better connectivity, but still not great.

2) Turn off the AT&T wifi entirely and set the IP forwarding to the primary Nest router's IP address. This essentially turns the AT&T modem/router into just a modem. I usually replace the ones the provider gives me to get rid of the wifi, but I hadn't gotten around to doing this yet. Result: No more dead connections, still occasional weak connection, but definitely better..

3) Set the Nest router I had in bridge mode back to NAT (Standard) mode and connected it to the main Nest router. Now they know how to talk to each other. Result: All green. Now the APs look for the Nest router in the house instead of the one in the garage.

It turns out the APs not only need mesh connectivity but also internet connectivity, and my set up was not ideal for that. I thought bridge mode would fix that. I was wrong. The only reason to use a Nest Router in bridge mode is to have an extra ethernet connection. Otherwise it is smart enough to talk to the other APs as a second router as long as it is the second connection the router sees.

Hope this helped.

SBH
Community Member

I have no idea how to do any of that. I am not an IT guru and have no intention of becoming one. I purchased a product that is advertised and sold to the general public as easy to set-up and maintain. Instead, I have spent hundreds of dollars adding more nest points thinking that would fix the connectivity issues with my cameras and I am STILL having the same connectivity issues. We've been duped. I am at the point of trashing the whole set-up and replacing it with a system that actually performs as promised. If anyone has any recommendations for an IT simpleton like me, I would greatly appreciate them.

TreyB1
Community Member

yeah you shouldn't have to. The Google mesh wifi should work and have decades old Linux/Unix services setup to auto recover and be scheduled based on cron and dependent services. I have honestly no idea how a multi trillion dollar software company like Alphabet isn't doing this.

I got my wifi and nest devices mostly working by tossing out the Google nest wifi, got 4 eero 6e pros, the nest cams do fine on main wifi as does the home app (but they hate the public wifi and refuses to pair devices or reconnect) and the public wifi works with the nest doorbell.

I'm a developer and I found this frustrating and I managed to get it to work...but like I shouldn't have had to. If they coded these embedded systems as embedded systems and not tiddly winks candy crush devices none of us would be here. The products aren't perfect, but it's entirely a software issue and an egregious one at that

Christophercarr
Community Member

Nest wifi is trash. Only thing worse than Google hardware is their service. Or lack there of. Pathetic 

Jessew55345
Community Member

It's there anyone from Google willing to respond to this?  I'm still having issues.  I have my aps resetting nightly with smart outlets on a schedule.  This is not acceptable.  I have a set of 3 APs and the router...  Way too much spent on a garbage product.

peterp
Community Member

Same issue here. Must be nice to be able to ignore your faulty products with impunity. 

Patient426
Community Member

I started with three extenders and had this issue, so I bought three more for better coverage. I’m now running six extenders and even upgraded my internet speed and it still shows one or two offline of and on, four with weak connections even when across the room from one another. These are useless if you have to be an IT guru to operate them. 

jpvaneijk
Community Member

Oh come on Google. 

I have had these problems for months now.
In addition, the same problems are also known on the new Wifi Pro versions.
It can't be that I have to disconnect my wifi points 3x in a day to keep my wifi in the house good, right?

My Wifi points have software version: 1.56.315675 and it seems time for a similar (test) solution as you have done on the Wifi Pro. These now have version 1.63.327820.

We just need software assistance. No messing around with DNS adjustments, disabling IPv6 or other silly ideas that don't work. Just come up with a decent update.

Anyway folks, no need to order the Wifi Pro either because dozens of people have run into the same problem there too.
See: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Wifi/Wifi-Pro-offline-every-day-needs-power-cycle/td-p/2...

So....Once more: Help!

Donut
Community Member

Serious question to Google: Do you even test your firmware before you release it? I have never experienced such a failure of this proportion every time you push a new firmware. This has been going on for almost 9 months, I seriously hope a class action gets put in place over your failure to address issues with your customer base while still selling broken hardware.

DcGamer05
Community Member

I’m with ya on a class action. This is dirty and deceptive. Expensive hockey pucks that don’t even work. Very angry. Last week my WiFi points go offline about once a day. Never happened before. 

Class action may be the only way as currently none of the Google products I have are fit for purpose. All have significant issues which google appear to be ignoring. 

Wifi network devices that don't provide wifi service 

Streaming devices that you are unable to stream to 

Wifi security cameras that display a poor image and have poor wifi signal (connected to a Google wifi network) 

As far as I'm concerned if these issues are not resolved then Google has sold its customers faulty product and need to given them their money back. 

Jiminic
Community Member

My two 2nd gen points are now suffering from dropouts and I am having to power cycle them at least once a day and the main unit once a week.

Is there a resolution for this yet? Are there any actual Google representatives monitoring this forum? Given the number is complaints across the internet about the same issue I would have thought that they would be wanting to get it resolved asap.

Fixmyrouters
Community Member

I started having the same problem on one of my 3 points.  The one that is dropping offline is the closest to the hub too and signal is good when it works.  I guess I’ll have to consider replacing my wifi routers if google hasn’t fixed this problem since its been about a year since others have been reporting it.

DcGamer05
Community Member

Ready to throw these things out the window. They worked just fine for over a year I find it awfully convenient that they release Nest WiFi Pro then all of a sudden the older hardware doesn’t work properly. Planned obsolescence?  Never had a problem with my nest WiFi until about a week ago. Now the WiFi point goes offline every single night guaranteed. I’m upset at this point it seems like google needs a class action lawsuit because this is deceptive and down right dirty. I will never buy another nest or google product again. 

DcGamer05
Community Member

Problem seems to be resolved I will update.  Turn off nest cloud services and google error reporting and feedback. Reboot router. Then turn on only cloud services again. So far no problems and faster speeds. Give it a shot. Hope it stays and helps. 

I hate to tell you but they have told me to do the same thing a dozen times and it may have an impact but only for a very short time then it starts all over again at which point they will tell you to do a full factory reset which again sometimes works for a short period but then starts again. They will then tell you to do this change again.. etc, etc, etc.. 

i.e. Dear customer please do A and if you have already done A please do B. If you have done B please do A. 

Hope you like marry-go-rounds 

kbdick
Community Member

I've had no problems since I bypassed my ISP's modem/router combo and just allowed the Nest to do it's job. I imagine that is what is happening in most instances. ISPs provide combo routers and modems with Wifi automatically enabled and I don't think most people are aware that this can create issues. The fix is to either get a simple modem to replace the ISP's modem/router/wifi combo, or turn off these features in the modem's Admin page.

gman3
Community Member

Tried that based on the Google support tech's advice and the very next day had the same issue.  Now my ISP combo router/modem no longer functions as a router, meaning that I can't access the combo router/modem's network and I still have the access point offline issue.  Called Google support today and they said that the issue is that the access point is to far away from the Google Nest Wifi router.  According to this tech, ideally the access point should be no more than 25-30 feet away.  I find it interesting that I had no issues for the first 3 years that I had this equipment and no all of a sudden I'm having the issue every few days. 

Max8
Community Member

I don't use a modem/router combo on any of the setups that have been having problems. I use my own modems and the Nest router.

DcGamer05
Community Member

I understand completely. That’s the same solution I keep getting parroted back and sometimes it doesn’t even apply to the users situation. I understand they’re trying to be helpful but it’s not the solution.

I’ve tried turning off google error reporting and nest cloud services and rebooting the router.  Once I turned off those settings the google home app started acting normally. Once back into router settings I only re-enabled nest cloud services so I could see my device list (seriously google I need to use your cloud service to see my own locally connected devices?smh) Now things have been working properly for now. I’m afraid it’s not the permanent solution but it seemed to have helped my setup for now and the second it goes awry again I will be here to document it.  Good luck to you. 

Chook71
Community Member

I have tried all of this. 

ISP Modem/Router - > Nest Wi-Fi Router

Just Nest Wi-Fi router

3rd Party Modem/router -> Nest Wi-Fi Router 

Sadly NOTHING WORKS. 

I have issues with pretty much EVERY SINGLE GOOGLE PRODUCT I own. Nothing works as described 

Nest Wifi - Points dropping offline. Setting a device as a priority has the complete opposite effect

Chromecast with Google TV - Shutsdown after 4 hours regardless of what settings the device or your TV has

Nest Camera's - Poor image quality, Poor wifi network performance (will connect to the furthest Nest wifi point)  

I stupidly thought sticking to a single ecosystem would resolve issues but that fact of having a complete Google network is a living Hell as NOTHING WORKS CORRECTLY. 

I have submitted support cases for all of these some dating back years and NOTHING has been fixed. 

amcadam
Community Member

Ok, so I had a major breakthrough on this. For all of the people having problems with the Nest Pro (I was on my second round of a three pack and still having problems), if you have Spectrum, have a technician look at the box that the internet leaves to go to your house.

I had THE BEST technician actually take time to diagnose, rather than point fingers at the hardware. Our Spectrum equipment at the box was 30 years old, and one of the pieces (I have no idea what it was) was corroded. He replaced it, and I have gone an entire day without drops!

Chook71
Community Member

I honestly hope this does work out for you, but I feel Google will just use this as another reason not to fix the issue. 

In the over 12 months I have been having this issue I have lived in an older home but have recently moved into a brand new home in a new estate. Same problem consistently. I even set up all 3 devices, router + 2 wifi points in the main living area of the house, so no walls, etc to possibly interfere.  I'll be really generous and say that there was at maximum 6m between each device and each device is within line of sight of the other. Every couple of days at least one of the wifi points says it is offline. 

There is clearly a fault with these devices, now whether it is hardware or software-related doesn't matter. Google needs to fix the problems with their devices (All of them). If it's hardware then it was a poor design and Google needs to replace them, if it's software then Google actually needs to do some testing before releasing software updates and fix the issue. 

Lilj81
Community Member

Same problem here... 1 router and 2 APs.  The points need to be power cycled at least 2 times a week because they keep going offline.  It is ridiculous that Google can't / won't fix this issue!!! If anyone starts that class-action suit let me know!

Shawn7
Community Member

Glad to see all of the info and that factory resetting the system won't fix the problem as I was hoping that would solve it.   Please, Google come up with a solution!

Google has no incentive to fix the problem, they're already in possession of our money. We may as well try peeing up a rope...

ATD
Community Member

Something that would help would be for the egocentric company Google to allow customers to decided when or if they want firmware updates. A simple feature where you can select automatic updates or not. However that is unlikely as google seems to like being in control of every aspect. I have 14 APs, 7500 sq ft home, 13 gen 1 and 1 nest wifi and between them going offline or having a weak connection regardless that I made sure they are no more that 30 feet apart has me regretting ever purchasing. Also hate not being able to separate bands. Probably going to start putting them up for auction soon. The best Google can offer as a solution is to factory restart, pathetic!

Lame1
Community Member

Also experiencing this issue...

mrsucram
Community Member

I’m having the same issue and Google being inept has not provided a solution. I’ve also recommended this system as at the time it worked. I’ve had to factory reset this over 10 times in 3 years and I’m just going to buy a TP-Link Deco AX3000 WiFi 6 Mesh System(Deco X55)

NielsS1
Community Member

Same problem. Already moved it a lot closer to the wifi router, but it's not a solution. Keeps going offline and you have to unplug the wifi Point en reboot every time. No solutions found on the internet. Horrible.

WhatTheWifi
Community Member

Definitely experiencing a lot of unreliability with the system. Particularly since I foolishly chose to go from the previous gen to Nest Wifi Pro.

Pro points are touted as better, but I had increasingly poor performance and dropped signals (to the point that the nodes flash yellow lights) when I simply swapped the new ones into the SAME positions in my house that worked on the previous gen for over a year.

I gave up and moved them, which was not super simple in a 1964 house with limited outlets where I needed them. Finally got "good" connections again... Not great... Which is what my older points showed in the old spots.

Random issues with other devices being slow to respond or inaccessible, e.g. Simplisafe base station or Blink camera hub. (I used to wish I had the ability to go all Google but not even close now.) 

Tried a variety of options with my ISP modem/router and gave up. I have fiber through CenturyLink which requires a specific router to translate from the optical input of the wall unit into something the nest system can understand. Getting detailed help from Google is nigh impossible and will probably regress in the next firmware update anyway. So, I suspect I will end up tossing this whole system and just eating the nontrivial cost. Depressing. 

FlyingLlama
Community Member

Just adding myself to the list.

Nest Wifi Router + 2 APs. I've had this system in the exact same configuration for ~20 months without issue. In the last week I am now getting constant disconnects from random devices. Sometimes all of them, sometimes one AP, sometimes the Router.

Not that I think it'll do anything, but I'm about to try setting my primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4.

Model: H2D
Software version: 14150.376.32