cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup google nest with bridges modem/router

Thecheffer
Community Member

Hi,

I have (had) a Google Nest Wifi set-up at home working perfectly for a few years.  To be fair it’s been faultless. But it was set-up in such a way I’m now having issues with double NAT.

I understand double NATing is a general no-no - and I cant forward ports correctly with my current setup.

I’m therefore wanting to set my router (plugged into the internet) to bridge mode.  This is easy - and I’ve done this - however, when trying to setup the Google Nest wifi to this - I’m having problems.

I’ve taken all my other WIFI points out of the equation and factory reset the remaining Google Nest Router.  I have the TPLink mode/router in Bridge mode and when adding the Google Nest Router - I’m not given the option to enter my PPPoE details.  I go through the configuration process using the Google Home App (up-to-date) - it gets to the point where it wants me to Connect the Ethernet Cable [to my Nest Router] - I do this -, click next and I get a Connection Failed message, Next to continue and the loop just continues.   

I’m expecting the Google Home App to ask me for my PPPoE details so it can correctly plug into my bridged modem and connect.

Any ideas on how to get around this? It seems like a Google Home App issue - but I cant seem to get around it.

Thanks

1 Recommended Answer

PatrickP_Viking
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hey @Thecheffer .

I see in your "labels" that you indicated you are using an iOS device. There are known issues with setup on an iOS device due to default settings Apple enables. The below linked article should help you get through the setup:

Troubleshoot setup with iOS 

In regards to your Double NAT concern, as long as the TPLink router/modem is in bridge mode with wifi off, the routing should be handled by the Google Wifi only. The TPLink will serve basically as a modem only.

Let me know if you are able to get the setup completed and/or if you need any further assistance.

View Recommended Answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

PatrickP_Viking
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hey @Thecheffer .

I see in your "labels" that you indicated you are using an iOS device. There are known issues with setup on an iOS device due to default settings Apple enables. The below linked article should help you get through the setup:

Troubleshoot setup with iOS 

In regards to your Double NAT concern, as long as the TPLink router/modem is in bridge mode with wifi off, the routing should be handled by the Google Wifi only. The TPLink will serve basically as a modem only.

Let me know if you are able to get the setup completed and/or if you need any further assistance.

Thecheffer
Community Member

Hi, Thanks for the response.  It's still not working but I potentially have a snippet of information.  I have retried, writing down the process as I go and verifying the items outlined in your link and iOS above:

Process:

Google NEST Router:

• Unplug TPLink ethernet cable
  • Factory reset Nest (using physical button on base of unit (hold for 12sec))
  • Turn Router off for 30 sec - Turn back on

TPLink Router

• Turn off for 30sec - turn back on
  • Delete DSL / Internet Connection(s)
  • Add Bridge WAN Interface (VPI/VCI ID = 2) 

On iPhone

• Latest iOS installed (17.4.1)
    • Confirm VPN Off
    • Confirm Private Relay Off
    • Factory Reset entire Network (from within Google Home App)
    • Delete Google Home App
    • Restart iPhone 
    • Install Google Home App (from App Store)
  • Google Home App
    • Sign in 
    • Select Home
    • Allow Bluetooth / Local Network 
    • Automatically searches for devices
      • Identifies Google Nest Router (setupBnnn.nnn)
      • Would I like to configure this?
      • Hit Yes 
      • **Here - the Router is re-added but the old Network name remains - so the Factory reset applied above is not a hard factory reset - it’s still retaining information. **
      • Factory Reset entire network (again) 
      • Add Device 
      • Finds Google Nest Router 
      • Next 
      • Scan QR code
      • Join Network
      • Google Home App states: “Connecting to Wifi”
      • Google Home App states: "Connect Ethernet Cable"
        • * Plug TPLink Ethernet cable back in (into WAN / internet socket)*
      • Connection failed.  

A guess, but I think my issue is with the factory reset of the Google Nest Router.  I don’t think this is performing a full reset.  I know this - because when logging back into the Google Home App - it identifies a router, adds this - and my old network details are back.  Same SSID/Password etc… 

Any other info anyone can glean from the above or any suggestions as to what to try next?  

Thecheffer
Community Member

I’ve managed to get a little further - I’m not 100% sure of this but I noticed when adding my Bridge WAN connection to my uplink router - it was creating 2 additional WAN interfaces.  Although, these remain disconnected.  Deleting these gets me a step further.

when configuring the Google Nest - I am prompted for the connection type - I select PPPoE and enter my username/password (which I know to be correct) - but I then get the following error:

“Configuring PPPoE failed. Please note that VLAN ID tagging is not supported.”

any suggestions for this…?  Thanks

Hey @Thecheffer .

Who is your ISP? Also, did you try the steps noted in my original reply for iOS? 

Hi Patrick - the ISP provider is TPG (we're Australia based) and I understand TPG support what I'm trying to do.  

Finally, yes, thanks - I have followed your steps for iOS - they are dotted within my bullet point list above.  

Thanks again for your assistance so far.  

Hey @Thecheffer .

Thanks for the additional information and sorry for missing the iOS steps earlier.

It sounds like for starters that the Nest Wifi Pro is resetting but is not being removed from the Google Home app; the following should walk you through removing & resetting the devices via the Google Home app: Factory reset your Wifi device

In regards to the VLAN error, it sounds like your ISP requires one to set up a bridge mode but unfortunately I cannot access TPG's support site to get more details. The error however points to a VLAN configuration error. The following article addresses the Nest Wifi Pro side but you might need to check the TPG Support site for specifics to make sure the configuration is correct on their gear: Set up a network that uses VLAN tagging 

Let me know if this fixes the issue or if you need further assistance.