cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

New ADT+ Security System

Michael33882
Community Member

So I finally called today to order this free ADT system and once I ordered I was able to setup my ADT account.   It came to the part where I could link my Google products and the only thing that appeared was my thermostat and the cameras were blank.   I went back in to make sure permissions were correct and down at the bottom I see the following   Unsupported devices: Google Nest Cam IQ Indoor, Google Nest Cam Indoor, Google Nest Cam IQ Outdoor, Google Nest Cam Outdoor, and Google Nest Hello.

So we spend hundreds of dollars on cameras and a security system and door locks only to find that it isn’t supported on this new bull**bleep** system we have to buy.  What a huge slap in the face and I hope a class action lawsuit is started because this is absolutely ridiculous.   How about you just leave **bleep** alone!   I went with Google because everything worked together but I see that is now all coming to an end.  

IMG_0379.png

49 REPLIES 49

reddavin
Community Member

That’s disappointing for sure. (Nest cameras not supported.) Are there any DIY systems that can integrate with Nest hardware? Abode? Or, ditch all this expensive stuff and start over with ???

Right1
Community Member

Sue, baby, Sue!  All of us getting screwed want in on the class action law suit. 

Michael33882
Community Member

UPDATE:  This system is a joke!  I put it back in the box and I will be replacing everything with Ring.  

Johnk19
Community Member

Hi Was just about to write the same post!  Nothing works....

Jay_Rod
Community Member

Three outdoor IQ cameras, 2 doorbell cameras, a Nest Secure system, and 7 door/window sensors. This feels like robbery and it's making me consider leaving the entire platform altogether. And knowing that I would have to replace my doorbell camera, the most important camera in the ecosystem, is feeling like the straw that's broken the camel's back because I replaced it 6 months before the newer doorbells went on sale because I purchased my home during that time. I'm so disheartened from this.

Vic
Community Member

Time to escape this ecosystem. It does not work together anymore, despite the Nest product still working properly and providing all the right features. Google wants us to buy newer less-powerful hardware from Google Nest and trust them with ongoing support and new features added to the Google Home app.

Fool me once...

Jay_Rod
Community Member

Update:

I've returned the ADT equipment and cancelled the service, and it's because of their customer service most of all.

Nevermind that NOTHING in Nest Gen 1 works with the ADT service...

Nevermind that NOTHING in Google Nest Gen 2 works exactly like it's Gen 1 counterpart...

You'll have to spend HOURS or days trying to resolve account issues because account managers never answer the phones. Beware!

Trunty
Community Member

Took me forever to see the unsupported message at the bottom. And it’s odd because they are listed, just don’t seem to have the right permissions. 

VTron21
Community Member

My Nest Doorbell (Battery) shows up, and I can view history...won't do the live view from the ADT app.  I have to go to the Google Home app.  But I've always had to do that for the doorbell it's never shown up in the Nest app.

The Nest cam built into the Nest Max hub does not show up in the ADT app at all, but does in the Google Home app and the Nest app.

They do have some **bleep** to fix with regards to integrations.  Probably should have done that before sunsetting the Nest Secure. (Well it's technically not sunsetted yet, but have a full working solution before people start trying to move to the ADT thing)

Edit: Ring is just as crappy if not worse than googles IMO.  I know people that have it and nothing but problems.  Only thing it has going for it is integrations with itself.

RandallD23
Community Member

Do not get the ADT package google offered! I decided to try it out and the devices and operation is complete garbage! Google stated it would have the monitoring free for one year, but I have already been charged a monthly $8 fee! I spent 10 hours on the phone with ADT trying to get that fee refunded and to close my account and get a refund and I couldn’t even get through to anyone who could help me. It was hours of sitting on hold and getting the runaround. I’m going to have to spend the day again trying to get it taken care of!!!  ADT is a completely dishonest company, and horrible! If you call the number to sign up for a new account  someone picks right up, but when you call the number for customer service no one will answer! Stay away from this tricky offer!!

Update: I cancelled my ADT service a month ago and received another monthly charge from them today. They REFUSED to refund the charge, the customer service agent was a complete jerk and hung up. Completely furious with how ADT treats customers and their customer service is appalling. Had to dispute charge with credit card company and block future charges from ADT. HORRIBLE company! STAY AWAY! Called to get a cancellation confirmation and put on hold over and over. Finally gave up after 30 minutes of holding. 

SteelCor
Community Member

I don't even understand the offer.  It states you can get an ADT "Self Setup System" (value UP TO $485). It mentions the ADT Smart Home Hub, 2 door/window sensors, and a motion sensor come with it.  All ADT Self Setup packages above the "build your own" come with more than that.  If I add a build your own with the second door/window sensor and motion sensor, it states the total is only $234.96 (on sale for $187.96 and was on sale lower than that last month). The offer also states we'll get 12 months of professional monitoring. The ADT site makes it really difficult to find monitoring costs. One way to build a package doesn't show monitoring options and shows the total one-time hardware cost.  Another way to build the same package automatically adds "essential monitoring" $38.99/mo and a "quality service" plan $7/mo that you cannot change or remove, and it rolls the hardware into the monthly cost (I guess you pay for it forever so the hardware then costs more).  It lists terms of 5 year contract at $45.99/mo.  There are no plans for $19.99/mo that I'm apparently getting with the offer.  What is the difference in the free monitoring type we get?  How am I getting $485 of value?

If I don't get the ADT system, I get a $200 store credit, which is only enough for a single "Nest Cam (battery)."  The Nest products have always been overpriced compared to other systems.  I don't think Google realizes that's why they haven't been selling as many.  Nest Secure was very popular but extremely overpriced.

That doesn't even touch the subject of the sensors.  ADT's replacement option is just an open/close sensor.  That is extremely inferior to the Nest Detect sensor, which also detected motion nearby, had door chimes, could be pushed for a quiet open from inside, and had an optional path light.  It is an ingenious product that has no compare on the market.

And then if we have the Nest Hello, which isn't sold anymore but isn't officially sunsetted yet (and not even that old).... we are stuck in the Nest App with no Google Home app support.  But for security we have to switch to ADT, which also doesn't support the Nest Hello.

So we are given the option to go with a terrible, money-driven security company with inferior replacement options and monthly fees... or get one thing free from Google that doesn't replace what is being taken away.  

VTron21
Community Member

@SteelCor They calculate the 12 months "free" professional monitoring in that $485 value in addition to the hardware.

SteelCor
Community Member

I realize that, but the math doesn't work out.  They say it's a plan that will then cost $19.99/mo after the first year.  I can't find monitoring service options other than what the one package automatically added at $38.99/mo + $7/mo.. so either we are getting more value when you add monitoring, or we are being given a monitoring plan not offered on their website which isn't as good.

Before they did this, they should have:

• Ensured that ADT's door/window sensors had all the features of Nest Detect (many features are missing)
  • Provided a 1:1 replacement of # sensors you have to # sensors given
  • Provided a replacement doorbell that is compatible with the system if you have a Nest Hello currently (and announce that it isn't compatible in the first place)
  • Provided a replacement smoke detector this is compatible with the system if you have a Nest Protect currently (and announce that it isn't compatible in the first place)
  • Made it clear if auto away/alarm will still work and with what products you currently have vs. having to get replacements
  • Made it clear if there is still a home+guarding vs. fully alarmed option
  • Made it clear if you could have their system + Google Products and still self-monitor with the Google Home app (i.e. not require monitoring, ADT app, or ADT control of Nest Aware account)

They obviously did not think through the full ramifications and transition plan for actual users.

VTron21
Community Member

In all technicality the single motion detector provided does cover the same square footage as 2 detects.  Not to mention that if you have a detect on a window with coverings aka curtains, the motion detector is worthless.

Does your doorbell, smoke detectors or other Nest products rely on the nest secure?  No they don't so why would it be required to have them replaced.

Make it clear if there is an away vs stay mode?  Really you question a feature of an alarm that has been included in home alarms since their inception?

They made it clear you don't need the pro monitoring. It's even on ADTs website.

The ADT system is lacking in other areas compared to the near secure.  Key pad is not back lit.  Doesn't disarm with the nest door lock.  Little **bleep** like that.

SteelCor
Community Member

My Nest Detect sensors are all on doors, but the motion part works on windows with blinds too, and would also work with thin curtains.  So yes, the ADT sensors should have that capability, plus the quiet open, door chiming, and path light.  They did not add all those features in what we are being told is the direct replacement.  Saying the new motion sensor covers twice the distance of the detect sensor isn't all that helpful unless you are going to put a motion sensor in every area that had a Detect.  That likely isn't going to be possible to mount those everywhere and requires buying a second piece of hardware to cover still less features than the Detect....  The Nest Secure also has a keypad which functions as a motion sensor too.

My Nest Hello doorbell does not rely on the Nest Secure, but the Nest Secure / security package as a whole relies on the doorbell.  The Nest Hello is not compatible with the ADT system AT ALL, but it is compatible with the Nest App which is where the "whole package" currently resides with the Nest Secure. Currently with the same app I know if someone is in the camera view and if the alarm was triggered.

You are not understanding my home vs. away mode comment.  Of course a security system has a manual ARM vs. DISARM.  That is not what I was referring to.  The Nest Detects, Nest Thermostat (Gen 3 in my case), and Nest Hello work in tandem to determine if someone is in the house via motion sensed.  Based on those and geofencing with my phone, it automatically suggests to enable the Nest Secure alarm and will put the thermostats in away mode.  With less features on the door/window sensors, not working with the Nest Hello, and likely not working with the proximity sensor in the Nest Learning Thermostat Gen 3, it won't auto-arm the ADT system or put my thermostats into away.  In fact, I don't know if ADTs own hardware can do this.

So my point remains - they are not replacing ALL of your currently working hardware that work in tandem with one another, in types of devices, features, or quantity.  But they sure are making you move to something else at a significant overall cost that doesn't even give the option to fully have the same functions.

Do we really need to defend Google here? They need to be clear about what hardware will work with ADT's hardware and software for a complete security package.  They need to provide the same or better features.  They need to give the same coverage you have today.

VTron21
Community Member

"My Nest Detect sensors are all on doors, but the motion part works on windows with blinds too, and would also work with thin curtains.  So yes, the ADT sensors should have that capability, plus the quiet open, door chiming, and path light.  They did not add all those features in what we are being told is the direct replacement.  Saying the new motion sensor covers twice the distance of the detect sensor isn't all that helpful unless you are going to put a motion sensor in every area that had a Detect.  That likely isn't going to be possible to mount those everywhere and requires buying a second piece of hardware to cover still less features than the Detect....  The Nest Secure also has a keypad which functions as a motion sensor too"

No, the nest detect on my sliding glass door would not detect motion even 1 foot from the sensor through sheer blinds.  And even still with the blinds open would not detect motion on the other side of that room.  I had to add a second purely for motion detect for that.  With the ADT I only need the one to cover the whole room.  

"My Nest Hello doorbell does not rely on the Nest Secure, but the Nest Secure / security package as a whole relies on the doorbell.  The Nest Hello is not compatible with the ADT system AT ALL, but it is compatible with the Nest App which is where the "whole package" currently resides with the Nest Secure. Currently with the same app I know if someone is in the camera view and if the alarm was triggered."

This sounds more like a you thing than a it's not supported thing.  I don't use the Nest Cameras for security.  I use Unifi so I was checking another app anyway when the alarm was triggered.

"You are not understanding my home vs. away mode comment.  Of course a security system has a manual ARM vs. DISARM.  That is not what I was referring to.  The Nest Detects, Nest Thermostat (Gen 3 in my case), and Nest Hello work in tandem to determine if someone is in the house via motion sensed.  Based on those and geofencing with my phone, it automatically suggests to enable the Nest Secure alarm and will put the thermostats in away mode.  With less features on the door/window sensors, not working with the Nest Hello, and likely not working with the proximity sensor in the Nest Learning Thermostat Gen 3, it won't auto-arm the ADT system or put my thermostats into away.  In fact, I don't know if ADTs own hardware can do this."

Your talking about presence sensing in the Google Home app.  That still works.   I just at the moment doesn't tell you maybe you should arm the alarm, or let you arm it from a notice.  You could add an IFTT to do that maybe till they add that functionality.

"So my point remains - they are not replacing ALL of your currently working hardware that work in tandem with one another, in types of devices, features, or quantity.  But they sure are making you move to something else at a significant overall cost that doesn't even give the option to fully have the same functions."

No, they are just giving you an option for the alarm, as that is what is being discontinued.  But that also doesn't mean that a lot of the features that currently not there won't be added to the Google Home app at a later date.

My Personal feeling is the Nest app will be completely removed and all functions will either be moved to the Google Home app, or support for the device will face a similar fate as the Nest Secure. (No, I don't want that either)

SteelCor
Community Member

I have a feeling the Nest Hello won't be moved with its full feature set to the Google Home app.  Some things have been, but it doesn't have everything. We'll see.  I'm sure it won't get Matter support either.

The Nest Learning Thermostat Gen 3 is up in the air too.  It's still sold and is still the more powerful thermostat, but all effort is put into the new thermostats.  Again, some features work in the new Google Home app, but not all.  It is still up in the air on Matter support.

If I'm understanding the ADT system correctly, with my current minimal setup, I will need 3 door/window sensors, 3 motion sensors, the ADT wireless touch screen, and a new Nest Doorbell.  That will get me close to the setup I have with my Nest Hello and Nest Secure (including base and Nest Detect sensors).  I would have to port my Nest Aware account over to ADT control.  I'm not sure about interoperability with all my many older Nest Minis, Google Home, and Nest Hub Gen 1's.... I wouldn't have the path lights or door chimes.  I may not have all the same auto arming security and auto away thermostat capabilities because they don't all communicate home presence with one another.  And anyone with more devices than me are in worse shape.

So rather than relying on a security company that focuses on making money with monitoring and is not truly an innovative hardware company, we are better off finding alternative door/window/motion sensors that will be Matter capable, like Eve or Netatmo (any many others I have yet to research).  Google shot themselves in the foot relying on another company pushing out inferior products, just so they can get someone else to sell their overpriced cameras and hubs.

VTron21
Community Member

"I have a feeling the Nest Hello won't be moved with its full feature set to the Google Home app.  Some things have been, but it doesn't have everything. We'll see.  I'm sure it won't get Matter support either."

You are probably correct here... I will tell you though, the new Nest Doorbell (battery) will only show you the history in the ADT app, no live view.  I'm only able to see live view from the Google home app.  I recall reading somewhere that the always record option of Nest Aware for the Nest Doorbell (battery) does not function at all, even when not running on battery.  The new doorbell's also do not appear in the Nest app.

My understanding is, if you get the ADT video add-on it comes with Nest Aware, and it will function the same as it does in the Google Home app and Nest app's as it does when you buy it directly from Google.  I thought I read somewhere it was a $10/mo add-on, but I can't find that now, So I opted to stay with the pay direct to google option as it's cheaper.

But for all your Presence sensing routines everything should work as is, minus the auto arming without the ADT security service, or the Nest Secure.  As those functions where not dependent of it.  Currently my presence can be determined by My phone, Nest Mini speakers, Nest Hub (Gen1 and Gen2) and my Nest Hub Max. (and Nest yale lock if I had it on).  This is from the Google Home app.  The Nest app can only use my phone and the door lock. (I rent so I don't have any of the Nest smoke detectors)

Vic
Community Member

And the new Nest Doorbell (battery) and Nest Doorbell (wired) have an inferior sensor resolution, and a much much worse night vision compared to the Nest Hello. Basically we are being asked to spend another $150 for a downgrade, and hope that Google will not pull the plug on it 3 years from now. 

Right1
Community Member

Google is infamous for pulling plugs. Insanely bad 😡

Proxie
Community Member

I just read this review… this is a very, very poor attempt to explain away the CLEAR functionality present in the Nest system and app and the complete lack thereof in ADT.

the systems are night and day when it comes to capability and functionality… 

I've had Nest since early 2018… I have all the major components (5 protects), 5 IQ cameras, 2 Helos, numerous door and window sensors, and 2 connects to ext the guard throughout my 2 story home and reach the shed out back…

the ADT system isn’t in the same graduating class.. its literally still in middle school attempting to compete with a college graduate…

Jay_Rod
Community Member

All of this is correct. It can be broken down even further, but this is the gist of it all.

I just started this process and have already found ADT customer service appalling. How does one obtain the $200 credit? I feel I should just take that and cut my losses. No way am I giving them my credit card number over the phone in order to sign up for their system.

I wish I had read this earlier. I took the chance of ordering the ADT, and now none of the sensors are compatible with the new ADT system. Its a complete scam.
I am stuck with Yale locks, cams, and 11 sensors. Nothing works with ADT. Their hub does not see a nest sensors or activity.

reddavin
Community Member

Decided to order the Costco SimpliSafe package with $100 discount. We’ll use that for monitored security but keep all the Nest cameras, protects, doorbell. Looks like SimpliSafe is updating their hardware. If we like it, we’ll consider gradually replacing the Nest stuff. No hurry. Still like the 24hr recording. Nest was so far ahead of the competition for hardware and software. Too bad Google didn’t believe in them. 

Got the SimpliSafe kit. Quality is not great compared to Nest. But usable. Sensors installed. Used some of the existing magnets from Nest. Lol. Had to reboot the base station once already?!  App is OK, not as detailed as Nest. Got notifications sorted out. Can arm/disarm with Apple Watch. Added to Google routines. Yale Door Lock is offline without the Nest hub. Probably going back to the manual lock. SS lock looks pretty cheesy. 

Jay_Rod
Community Member

I want to update everyone so they'll know, that if you cancel the ADT service and return the equipment, Google will not give you the $200 credit. So beware, whichever option you take, love it or hate it, that's the one you're stuck with or lose out on everything.

This is me. I've lost on everything. 

Michael33882
Community Member

FUN FACT File a complaint with the BBB.  Got ADT FREE.. Hard Wired Hello (FREE) 3 Google Outdoor cameras (Free). 3 power cables for the 3 camera’s (Free).  Make sure you put in detail what you’re loosing from their stupid mistake. 

I see a recent BBB complaint for this, and they said to reach out to Google support. Is that what you did to get those things?  There still isn’t a direct replacement for the Secure and Detect (ADT has missing features and other companies come closer but still not the same) and the Hello isn’t supported by ADT from what I can tell.  So what alternative option can they even provide?  It seems like we’re given the option of pick something like a single camera or get locked into ADT.

reddavin
Community Member

Update: All I have left now is 6 awesome Nest IQ cameras. One died? Protects gone. Yale lock gone. Replaced with SimpliSafe smoke/co sensors; door lock; water sensors. 

SimpliSafe has a %40 off everything for existing customers. Bought a 2nd Costco bundle because it was cheaper than individual. Maybe. Got 2 indoor and 2 outdoor cameras so they can monitor. Cameras are not as great as nest. 

All the main things are now monitored and I think I got the right balance of email and sms notifications. Super easy to arm and disarm the system. Had to turn all the motion sensors upside down because of cats. Hopefully this works long term. 

Dangee
Community Member
I have Nest IQ cameras in places I cannot go change batteries so they are "wired" IQ cameras.
Like Michael33882 installed the system and the ADT app says they do not support IQ cameras that are wired (powered by AC).
Google clearly said: "This announcement only affects Dropcam, Dropcam Pro, Nest Secure and works with Nest. This announcement does not affect other Nest Cam models."
Total BS. Not only did they take away all the rest of Nest but they want to force us to buy new cameras.
I can't believe all the Tech press are ignoring this. People are out thousands of dollars on equipment that is only a few years old.

VTron21
Community Member

@Dangee I think you miss interpreted the notice.  It was about what is no longer supported by Google, not what ADT is supporting.  Your IQ cameras will still function in the Nest and Google Home apps.  The ADT app only supports the newest cameras as I understand it.  The ones that don't rely on the nest app at all.

reddavin
Community Member

I kept the excellent Nest IQ cameras for my own peace of mind. Have a couple for SimpliSafe to monitor. I’ll gradually switch the nest over to SS as they fail. Nest has such good tech. Too bad google bailed. 

Dangee
Community Member

So SimpliSafe supports the IQ cameras? Does it support any other of the Nest sensors or doorbell?

Thanks, D

reddavin
Community Member

No. They have their own cameras. I keep the Nest because I like the quality and 24 hr recording. I got some SS cameras as well. They’re not as good. But OK

ndavid
Community Member

Is anyone at Google reading how bad this is?  Is anyone at Google management paying any attention to how much this is impacting us customers, and damaging their brand reputation?    All I'm seeing from their community people are platitudes on all of these threads.

Dangee
Community Member

They just don't care.

I will never, ever, buy or pay for anything Google.