cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Multiple devices responding at the same time

seknav
Community Member

Issue began week of December 20.

I've had multiple Google Home and Nest speakers in our home for years. Nothing has changed in the past 6 months. 2 weeks ago, multiple speakers are answering when the wake command is issued. I say 'Hey Google, what is 1+1?' and two or three speakers will respond with the information or action that has been requested. There are four speakers on the floor I'm on. One that I'm next to, and others in completely separate rooms respond. There is one in a bedroom (2nd gen Mini) and one in the bathroom (Nest Audio) which regularly go rogue. The other in another bedroom is silent.

I understand that upon hearing the wake command, multiple devices negotiate with each other to decide which will respond. In this case they don't seem to be following that procedure (the one in the other room or the bathroom jump in even though the one I'm standing next to is closest).

I've rebooted the devices and the wake sensitivity is already set to low.

Why is this happening and how can I resolve it?

I have read existing articles but this specific issue (multiple devices on the same network responding to one wake command) is not covered.

I asked this question in the Google Assistant community but was asked to post it here.
1 Recommended Answer

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone,

We recently worked with a Senior Product Manager on the Google Assistant team to write a blog about about what's happening when multiple devices respond to your Google Assistant requests. She shared some tips to help improve which device responds to requests overtime. Be sure to check out the blog post for all the detailsFAQs: Using Google Assistant and Multiple Devices.

While this thread is now closed, we started a new discussion about this topic to gather feedback. You can also submit feedback for the team through your devices at any time. 

Thanks! 

View Recommended Answer in original post

473 REPLIES 473

I have been having this same issue since January 2022. Every time I try to follow Google's sets it does NOTHING. I have even tried the factory resets and it only worked temporarily. Now my Nest mini in the living room that I use the most keeps cutting off before it finishes answering a question. It doesn't do it all the time, but fairly often. It will usually repeat the entire answer when asked, but not always. This is very frustrating! We shouldn't have to go through so much work to fix a problem that really seems like a bug fix issue... I may have noticed it before January, but I know for sure it was going on then. I love my Google products. My TV is a Philips, but it's an Android. Hell, even that has a weird issue! Grrrrrr Google!

Shrinsys
Community Member

I concur. It seems to me the home/voice products are not getting better but indeed getting worse?

GodsRaven
Community Member

I agree.  About to switch to Alexa.  I'm going to try to reset everything (smart plugs, lights, nests, hub, etc), one last time.  This is the ultimate pain.  Google doesn't care.  Time to make them care.  If reset doesn't work,I'm taking my newest nest back and swiching to Alexa.  Bye-bye Google.  Shame on you.

TescilleRiser
Community Member

We did a complete removal of all Google devices from Google Home app then factory reset then reloaded everything. Everything was working until today - 48 HOURS later AND after the iPhone update. 😳🙄😳🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ This is THE MOST RIDICULOUS thing. We either need to be all Google or all Apple or all Amazon but God forbid, the tech world integrate, DIVERSIFY, & collaborate. We might as well be right back in 1965. But now we are fighting against tech segregation.

It's not about being all one thing.  I have an Android phone and it's still doing it to me.  Only thing preventing me from switching over to Alexa right now is I'm researching to see if it has similar bugs before switching and I have to have a good day to go through the whole mess of dealing with the switch.  

jog0ff
Community Member

same issue here

Tenille
Community Member

Same issue. Asked my sister about hers.. its happening to her now too. I think this is a tech issue on their end but they are dealing with a Typhoon issue?...

breakvalley
Community Member

Exactly same issue here, Come on Google!!! The wife at home are ready to retire our Google Home because of this!

Tenille
Community Member

Make sure you've only created 1 home with all your devices. I found my son had 2 set up on his phone, with all devices connected in both of them, causing all speakers to respond to every command!

Shrinsys
Community Member

Deleted second home within the app, factory reset all devices uninstalled app same issue persists one command multiple devices answer

That’s not my issue. All nest devices are in the same Google Home.

All mine were in the same home but I had two homes two different locations set up. So I deleted the second location with different devices in there same result. 

Megg33
Community Member

When I read this I realized I had two homes set up for some unremembered reason, so I went in and deleted the unnecessary one. We'll see if it helps! If so I will post it!

I'm the only person who lives here.  This is a Google issue, not a teenager issue.

CCP
Community Member

Only one home here, so that's not my issue unfortunately 

akwildheart
Community Member

This started happening to all my devices after about one week into 2022. NEVER had this issue before and now it's getting so I absolutely hate using them. I have one Amazon Echo Dot which I rarely used but now I use more frequently just so I don't have to deal with 4 speakers talking back at me throughout the house or playing music on the wrong speaker. Of course. Google remains silent on the whole issue. I understand a correction may take time but at least keep us informed. At least recognize there's an issue! 

Exactly!!!

I think that the more of us that POST instead of just reading everything, the more Google will see this is a big problem. This kind of issue could start losing business... I'm just saying... Look at you, you don't even want to use your Google devices now... What's to say you don't just switch to Amazon instead of Google? Like I said, I'm just saying...

GodsRaven
Community Member

I'm about to switch, and I don't think Google is even paying attention to this "Google community" at all.  I think it's just a complaining group so they don't have to listen to us.  I'm done.  Alexa is about to get my business.  This has been happening for about 6 months now and getting worse and they're not even trying to solve it.

Tenille
Community Member

I factory reset all google speakers and hubs. It works now

Shrinsys
Community Member

I've actually done that several times, most recently, yesterday. I also un installed the home app and re installed. Same issue persists, one command 3 (or sometimes just two) answer. It stinks and I hope Google sends out an update. 

AlfTupper
Community Member

I've been experiencing the same issue for the past few weeks, after a couple of years of trouble free operation. I bought a new Nest mini 2nd gen before Christmas. Coincidence?  I'm reluctant to reset everything because the success doesn't look guaranteed.  Hoping Google can provide an answer, because the silence is deafening.

True, very true. 

Depending how many devices you have ( I have 4) it took 15 minutes to reset and setup again.

Megg33
Community Member

I'm not sure that's the point. How would you like to factory reset your phone because the manufacturer was ignoring an issue that everyone else said could only be fixed with a factory reset? Wouldn't think that only took 15 mins, now would you?

jog0ff
Community Member

Silence from Google side doesn’t help at all, I’m seriously considering switching to Alexa now

Shrinsys
Community Member

I will say I've thought about that as well. 

Gigabomb
Community Member

Same, the only reason I haven't yet really is because of Youtube Music.  I am grandfathered into the old price and also use Youtube daily so no ads.  We listen to music all the time so that is why the Google Home devices were great.  I will say this though, I had a similar issue with Alexa.  I have an older Alexa Show and I have Ecobee thermostats.  The Ecobee have alexa built in, I had to change the wake word on the show to "Echo" because both responded when I said "Alexa".  That was about a year ago, so may of been fixed, who knows.

At least with Alexa you can change the wake word.  No options with Google.  Actually, this would also solve the problem with my phone waking to it.  Sounds like an answer rather than a problem to me.

Well great, so we're screwed by these people no matter what.

GodsRaven
Community Member

Agreed!!!

g00glehome5ucks
Community Member

Same problem, factory reset did not help actually made it worse. My pixel phone never used to reply when I asked Nest Mini, now sometimes 3x Minis in different rooms + Pixel phone answer with different delays. When I tell Mini to play some music (spotify), speakers start playing at different times then they say "your music stoped because it is playing on different device". Absolutely not usable at the moment. Worked without problems for 2 years.

True dat!

sophware
Community Member

I'm having this issue. It may have been only a few days or a week, or I may only have noticed it lately. Maybe it's more like a month or so.

In any case, both my phone and the nearest mini answer. If it's a timer or alarm, both set it. Not fun.

Ldubs_12
Community Member

Same issue here!

Is Google following all this?

Nope.

ghaueter
Community Member

I just noticed my speakers doing this in the last couple of days. I haven't tried resetting the speakers yet.

Googlbreakgoogl
Community Member

This is such horse**bleep**. We shouldn't have to go through all the devices and factory reset every single one, and the more of the product you bought, the **bleep**tier experience you have.  And where the duck is the official support from Google?  STOP breaking our devices GOOGLE!!!

dbelk80
Community Member

I'm having the same issue and seems to be only getting worse. Why should I have to factory reset all my assistant devices!?