cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOME mini UNRESPONSIVE thread - "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem"

halupto
Community Member

Hi guys, here´s thread for anyone who´s experiencing "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem". Possible news from Google, solutions or fix to be written here. Seems this issue affected lot of devices, let´s see what can be done about it and what will be Google´s reaction to this situation.

Moderator edit: Subject updated for clarity and findability

2 Recommended AnswerS

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing details in the comments here and for submitting feedback reports to our team.

We’ve identified the cause of this issue and have stopped the software rollout.

If you’ve been impacted by this issue, we want to make things right: Please reach out to Google Nest support at g.co/nest/contact for assistance.

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this— we're here to help if you have any other questions.

View Recommended Answer in original post

gileswells
Community Member

Sadly it appears this is, at least for now, only available in the US. Replacements have been authorized and I've got the steps that I went through to request AND BE APPROVED FOR IT.

I got my replacement options last night after my last time chatting with Google early in the morning on the 23rd. Either I can return mine and then they send a replacement or I buy a new one (through an individualized link) and they just put a hold on the card which they will release once the return is received. I had to go through some steps with the chat rep Ana (she was great and very patient) including trying the 10x reboot thing and then also sending a quick video of it locking up.

Here's how I got to this point:

1. I went to the contact link that @KiiFromGoogle listed and clicked on the Google Home category and said something about my device being bricked in the text field.
    1. As someone that has worked chat support for other companies before I will say this up front, be courteous, stick to the facts, and overall be genuinely thankful for their assistance. You'll get so much further with being a polite person.
  2. In talking with the rep and confirming that the device was purchased in the United States (I believe I've seen reports that some countries didn't get replacements last time there was a bricking event like this so your results may vary if you're in another country), we started trying some debugging to ensure that it was in fact bricked. Those steps included:
    1. Rebooting the device 10 times through powering it off, waiting 10 seconds and then plugging it back in. We then waited for it to get to the 4 solid white lights before unplugging and doing it all over again. It never got to the "Welcome to Google Home" or whatever it was supposed to say.
    2. We then tried to hold the reset button for 5 seconds (which makes it go into reset mode) and then an additional 10 seconds (which confirms the desire to reset?). This just ended up with 2 white lights for me until I powered it off again and then back on which is when I got back to the 4 white lights.
    3. The last thing that Ana had me do was take a 45 second video showing off the device being plugged in and then it freezing at 4 white LEDs. This was the most annoying part of the process because my phone can't get low enough resolution to get 45 seconds of video and be under the 25mb file transfer limit offered by Gmail. Additionally the file upload included in the chat doesn't receive video files so I had to use email. I tried to offer her a Google Drive link but in the end she just asked that I send as long of a video as I could which ended up being about 15 seconds.
  3. After she had enough evidence, she sent it off to her supervisors to get approval. A supervisor wasn't available so I had to wait 24-48 hours for a response.
  4. 42 hours later I received an email asking for mailing and contact information. This included my name, mailing address (with country) and phone number.
  5. Just an hour later I received my confirmation that I was eligible for a replacement device. I replied with my preference for the Standard Exchange option and am waiting on further instructions. (I'll post that email below)

This is where I am currently in the process but figured it was good enough to post some good news as Google has confirmed that I will be getting a replacement unit for my out of warranty device!

This is the email that I received detailing my replacement options:

Hello Giles,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Customer Care Team.

Congratulations! You are eligible for a replacement.

We have 2 option of the process:

1. Standard Exchange replacements don't require an authorization hold, and a replacement device isn't sent to the customer until Google’s warehouse receives the defective device. Customers are advised to return their product within 14 days according to the RMA instructions; however, in total, the customer will have 45 days from RMA creation to return the defective unit using the shipping labels. The RMA will be canceled if the labels are not exercised or used after 45 days. If the product is returned after this then it is returned to the customer and they are advised to contact support for a new RMA.
  2. Advanced Exchange allows the customer to check out their replacement device from the Google Store via an Advanced Exchange replacement cart link (RCL) sent to their email before they return their original device. The RCL is valid for 90 days and the customer may complete the checkout process anytime within that period.

Once they complete the checkout process, we put an authorization hold on their credit card for the full Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the replacement device. Once the authorization hold is approved, a replacement device is shipped to the customer in 2-7 business days.

Please let us know and reply to this email on which option you prefer.

For reference your case number is [my case number]. If you need more help, you can contact us again and reference this case number or reply to this email to reopen your case.

Have a new question? There are lots of ways to get back in touch with us below.

Thank you,

Ana

^ Look at Ana being awesome. @KiiFromGoogle please, if you're able to, pass along my well wishes to Ana's leadership team. She was top notch, knew her stuff, and was great through the whole process.

12/27 edit is below. Also updated step 1 from the list to give clearer instructions on how to get to the right chat.

I got my return instructions. Essentially I box it up and take a QR code to FedEx and they will print the shipping label. The box needs to include both the Google Home Mini and the power cable. They also provide the link for how I can track the shipment as it heads off to Google for receipt and then 1-2 days after they receive it they should have a new one sent out to me.

Final update (1/3/2024): So Google made a mistake and accidentally sent me the full sized Nest Audio as a replacement instead of the Nest Mini that I was expecting. 🤯 I hope that others are able to get as lucky and that those out of the US are given better options for resolving their issues.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1,075 REPLIES 1,075

I am having 5he exact same issue. Oddly it is only happening with 1 of my 4 devices.  I am assuming it is failed hardware.

Scarfolk
Community Member

A certain proportion of devices will fail everyday, and of that proportion a tiny number of users will report the issue here. However as far as I can see there were no reports of the four lights issue last week, but at least 40 this week. Therefore it's most likely something server side or a failed firmware update. Whether it not it can be fixed or if they are bricked remains to be seen...

I have the same problem in all 3 of my google nest mini

Failed hardware, 3 mini's with different age, all on the same day? I doubt it... 
Especially based on how many people are complaining about the same thing on the forums here

Same issue here as well.. 

One of my two Home Minis died several days ago too. This device was the Preview Program. I can still see some info in the Google Home app.

System firmware: 375114
Cast firmware: 2.57.375114

Was it a fault of the Preview program firmware?

WolvieX
Community Member

2.57.375114 for me as well

I am having the exact same problem, have tried everything that has bee n suggested.

I have the same problem - it just stopped working last night and now when its plugged in  4 lights just stay on! with through the process too but reset will not work! please replace..

Same issue here. Have contacted Google and they say it's a known issue that has been escalated to their technical teams.

I have the same issue as mentioned by others.  My mini died 2 days ago. The 4 LED lights are on constantly.  I tried the reboot and reset per the Google instructions, and nothing works.  This is NOT a random occurrence if a number of users are having the same problem.  This unit should be replaced by Google.  

My Google Mini Gen 2 has been doing the same thing since about one week ago. Google sent this thing to me for free. Will they replace or fix it?

Correct me if I am wrong but Google CANNOT fix the issue.  After the S/W update was initiated, there is no communication with the Google mini.  Therefore the units cannot be updated with a fix.  It seems that Google owes us a new unit because of their faulty patch. 

Agree

0Alek7
Community Member

Hi! 2 days ago my google home mini stopped responding and has been on 4 white leds since then. I tried to unplug it and wait for hours and when I plugged it back on it turned 2 white leds on for 2 seconds and then it turned all 4 in white on. When I hold the reset button it lights the first led in green and the rest are in white. It does not work at all. Please help me, because this is the only alarm that wakes me up in the morning and I really need to wake up on time🥹

My google home mini also died 2 days ago. I get the same 4 LED lights and all the same response you described.  Maybe a bad update?  If I can get it working again I’ll let you know how.  

Thank you 

Pau71
Community Member

I have same problem, try plug in  it 10 times and all of that but still 4 lights white and 1 green if i push the reset button.

Same here 

Fu2
Community Member

Exactly the same here

Semiel
Community Member

Same here. Hopefully a solution will be worked out that does not include getting new hardware, which would be an insane move for the planet

I have been informed by the people at Google that they are aware of the problem, and that a team has been assigned to address the problem. So, a fix a be coming.  Stay tuned....

Hoagie572
Community Member

Something I noticed. When factory resetting a different gen 1 home mini, the LED was orange when I pressed the reset button. With the one Google bricked, it goes green when I press the reset button. Hope that helps the engineers. But I do wonder how they plan to unbrick the speakers when they don't connect to the WiFi anymore. 

Clearmountain
Community Member

So basically I'm seeing everyone having the same problem as me and none of the recommended suggestions works and no further response from Google other than "we're working on it". Makes me want to switch systems totally

I think many will. Or switch to a different brand with Google support.

Seems like the latest response everyone has been getting is "It's out of warranty. Good luck!" I just bought an echo.  When someone tells you who they are - believe them.

GogleNoCustSvc
Community Member

Why is Google customer service non-existent whenever there is an issue. You bricked thousands and thousands of devices overnight with zero possible fix since they can't be reset. Where is our replacement or money? Google's customer service has been a disaster for every product I've owned.. I feel like Class Action is the only way we can fix this, sadly. 

DanOMan
Community Member

My mini died last night, 4 LED lights on constantly and all my attempts to reset have not worked. Tried factory reset using 11 on off cycles with 10 seconds in between, no luck.  Same WiFi, same equipment, same everything.  Help would be appreciated. 

Havening the exact same problem, 4 lights and no response in spite of all efforts.

Same here. It started last night. No wifi/router changes. Tried the unplug x11 method unsuccessfully twice. We have another mini in a separate room that’s working fine. 

Other threads with the same problem are already locked without fixing the problem.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a Google support employee to chime in here? 

Edit- I found this thread: 

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/HOME-mini-UNRESPONSIVE-thread-quot-Goog...

DanOMan
Community Member

Obviously a planned kill of all old devices.  It's about the money 

RedBull
Community Member

Therefore? all these google Home-mini with the same problem, do they mean that the problem is caused by the user???

MarcdeK
Community Member

I did not cause the problem but I am going to prevent it in the future. You can disable firmware updates per device. That should help.

Eric365
Community Member

I couldn't find how to do it... Can you state the necessary steps and also what google home version you use, please.

Nyaarla
Community Member

Same issue here with a google home mini. Starts with 2 lights then gets stuck on 4. Reset steps haven't helped so it's just a brick right now.

phamanthony1
Community Member

Hi Google some news ? It's crazy how you don't care about your customers

OlgaGER
Community Member

same here (Germany)

OlgaGER
Community Member

I had a chat with them. Actually they only told me that I have to restart 10 times and it should work. After I told them that this process do not fix anything they mentioned that my Nest is out of warranty. So I sad that Google broke my Nest mini caused by an update so Google have to fix it. They promised me to discuss it internally. I keep you posted....

Hoagie572
Community Member

I think we need to start raising more tickets instead of adding to this one. The Google people seem to have stopped reading this one.