cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOME mini UNRESPONSIVE thread - "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem"

halupto
Community Member

Hi guys, here´s thread for anyone who´s experiencing "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem". Possible news from Google, solutions or fix to be written here. Seems this issue affected lot of devices, let´s see what can be done about it and what will be Google´s reaction to this situation.

Moderator edit: Subject updated for clarity and findability

2 Recommended AnswerS

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing details in the comments here and for submitting feedback reports to our team.

We’ve identified the cause of this issue and have stopped the software rollout.

If you’ve been impacted by this issue, we want to make things right: Please reach out to Google Nest support at g.co/nest/contact for assistance.

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this— we're here to help if you have any other questions.

View Recommended Answer in original post

gileswells
Community Member

Sadly it appears this is, at least for now, only available in the US. Replacements have been authorized and I've got the steps that I went through to request AND BE APPROVED FOR IT.

I got my replacement options last night after my last time chatting with Google early in the morning on the 23rd. Either I can return mine and then they send a replacement or I buy a new one (through an individualized link) and they just put a hold on the card which they will release once the return is received. I had to go through some steps with the chat rep Ana (she was great and very patient) including trying the 10x reboot thing and then also sending a quick video of it locking up.

Here's how I got to this point:

1. I went to the contact link that @KiiFromGoogle listed and clicked on the Google Home category and said something about my device being bricked in the text field.
    1. As someone that has worked chat support for other companies before I will say this up front, be courteous, stick to the facts, and overall be genuinely thankful for their assistance. You'll get so much further with being a polite person.
  2. In talking with the rep and confirming that the device was purchased in the United States (I believe I've seen reports that some countries didn't get replacements last time there was a bricking event like this so your results may vary if you're in another country), we started trying some debugging to ensure that it was in fact bricked. Those steps included:
    1. Rebooting the device 10 times through powering it off, waiting 10 seconds and then plugging it back in. We then waited for it to get to the 4 solid white lights before unplugging and doing it all over again. It never got to the "Welcome to Google Home" or whatever it was supposed to say.
    2. We then tried to hold the reset button for 5 seconds (which makes it go into reset mode) and then an additional 10 seconds (which confirms the desire to reset?). This just ended up with 2 white lights for me until I powered it off again and then back on which is when I got back to the 4 white lights.
    3. The last thing that Ana had me do was take a 45 second video showing off the device being plugged in and then it freezing at 4 white LEDs. This was the most annoying part of the process because my phone can't get low enough resolution to get 45 seconds of video and be under the 25mb file transfer limit offered by Gmail. Additionally the file upload included in the chat doesn't receive video files so I had to use email. I tried to offer her a Google Drive link but in the end she just asked that I send as long of a video as I could which ended up being about 15 seconds.
  3. After she had enough evidence, she sent it off to her supervisors to get approval. A supervisor wasn't available so I had to wait 24-48 hours for a response.
  4. 42 hours later I received an email asking for mailing and contact information. This included my name, mailing address (with country) and phone number.
  5. Just an hour later I received my confirmation that I was eligible for a replacement device. I replied with my preference for the Standard Exchange option and am waiting on further instructions. (I'll post that email below)

This is where I am currently in the process but figured it was good enough to post some good news as Google has confirmed that I will be getting a replacement unit for my out of warranty device!

This is the email that I received detailing my replacement options:

Hello Giles,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Customer Care Team.

Congratulations! You are eligible for a replacement.

We have 2 option of the process:

1. Standard Exchange replacements don't require an authorization hold, and a replacement device isn't sent to the customer until Google’s warehouse receives the defective device. Customers are advised to return their product within 14 days according to the RMA instructions; however, in total, the customer will have 45 days from RMA creation to return the defective unit using the shipping labels. The RMA will be canceled if the labels are not exercised or used after 45 days. If the product is returned after this then it is returned to the customer and they are advised to contact support for a new RMA.
  2. Advanced Exchange allows the customer to check out their replacement device from the Google Store via an Advanced Exchange replacement cart link (RCL) sent to their email before they return their original device. The RCL is valid for 90 days and the customer may complete the checkout process anytime within that period.

Once they complete the checkout process, we put an authorization hold on their credit card for the full Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the replacement device. Once the authorization hold is approved, a replacement device is shipped to the customer in 2-7 business days.

Please let us know and reply to this email on which option you prefer.

For reference your case number is [my case number]. If you need more help, you can contact us again and reference this case number or reply to this email to reopen your case.

Have a new question? There are lots of ways to get back in touch with us below.

Thank you,

Ana

^ Look at Ana being awesome. @KiiFromGoogle please, if you're able to, pass along my well wishes to Ana's leadership team. She was top notch, knew her stuff, and was great through the whole process.

12/27 edit is below. Also updated step 1 from the list to give clearer instructions on how to get to the right chat.

I got my return instructions. Essentially I box it up and take a QR code to FedEx and they will print the shipping label. The box needs to include both the Google Home Mini and the power cable. They also provide the link for how I can track the shipment as it heads off to Google for receipt and then 1-2 days after they receive it they should have a new one sent out to me.

Final update (1/3/2024): So Google made a mistake and accidentally sent me the full sized Nest Audio as a replacement instead of the Nest Mini that I was expecting. 🤯 I hope that others are able to get as lucky and that those out of the US are given better options for resolving their issues.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1,069 REPLIES 1,069

lelepunk
Community Member

My google mini doesn't work anymore, the 2 central leds turn on, then all 4, they remain with the white light fixed, if I try to reset only one green led turns on, I tried to turn it off and on 10 times but it continues not work

Leokaoo
Community Member

I got the same. Anything update? 

Not yet, if I have any luck I will send out what I get ASAP.

MLB

SSkotheimsvik
Community Member

I have the same problem happened around a week ago. All for lights are on, Google home can't connect to it, the reset button doesn't do anything except turn on a green light and the unplug the cord 10 tinted doesn't work either.

kitwalker
Community Member

Same for me - my Google mini stopped working and I threw it out thinking it was a hardware issue - annoyed to know now that Google bricked it on me. My primary Google home has four orange lights continuously. I've unplugged it and am waiting for Google to respond to this thread and let me know how to fix it.

drhazelton
Community Member

Same thing. Unable to reset via any method.

Patthe
Community Member

Any update from google?

Ambe77
Community Member

Let's face it, the update "bricked" the device.  I highly doubt that any classical solution can solve it.  The only way ti solve the issue would be to have the "un-bricking" procedure, if it exists at all.

ma10--_
Community Member

Agree

cprice12
Community Member

Same here. Bricked device, Google home mini. I think it was Monday.

4 dots. Unresponsive. 

None of the fixes worked. 

Andywh
Community Member

To Google support

come on.  Let’s have your input.   You are very good at merging comments from different threads in the same subject. You can see the level of impact Google’s actions have had on customers.  You have told us that you acknowledge it is google fault.  Yet you have gone quiet and we are left not knowing what you are doing to resolve the situation.

GET ACTIVE.  KEEP US UPDATED. FIX IT OR REPLACE.

MarcdeK
Community Member

I'm starting to think they couldn't care less. Many are replacing their devices thinking theirs just broke, not finding this thread. 

It is Google's way of saying merry Xmas to all of us.

Thank you Google for all you have done for us. Now when can we expect a fix?

It's astonishing how they don't take the time to reply and inform us whether the issue will be addressed. Personally, I'm considering switching to Amazon products. Using a product with no support is simply unacceptable.

Hoagie572
Community Member

I tried the chat again today. 

No further update, in fact he just cut and pasted the same paragraph as the last time I chatted.

I was told there is no escalation procedure. 

I'm going to try the Home Assistant voice gadget. If it's any good expect to see a bunch of home minis on eBay soon.

Community Member

Same here unfortunately. 4 white dots and unresponsive to reset button or 10x disconnect the power cord....:-(

asdfsafd
Community Member

Same here. 

KiiFromGoogle

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing details in the comments here and for submitting feedback reports to our team.

We’ve identified the cause of this issue and have stopped the software rollout.

If you’ve been impacted by this issue, we want to make things right: Please reach out to Google Nest support at g.co/nest/contact for assistance.

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this— we're here to help if you have any other questions.

I did contact but no update and no plan so far.

This is bull**bleep**! your support refused to help us under the pretext that the product is no longer under warranty. Give us a global solution for a global problem you caused!

Talked to a CS rep with the above link. Very nice person, but no solutions. I has to record a video of the home not booting with the above mentioned issues everyone is having and they are sending it to a higher tier team or something to look into it. Got the impression they had no idea about this issue. I assumed from this message they would have had a plan in place to get replacments. But they do not.

Same here. Just sent them my video as well.

They had me do this too.

Then they told me there was nothing they could do

There is a super easy solution. Go back and identical sized one and put the broke ass one in the box and keep the new one..pay cash and Google gets its broken bs speaker and you get a new one..no waiting no customer service..can be done in 30 min..and this trick goes FOR ALL THERE DEVICES AND ALEXAS BS TOO..no more getting fuked on bs updates 

I used the form and contacted Google. Spoke to Drake and he said it's still an "emerging issue" being investigated, no update. He doesn't know what you are talking about, "making it right". 

The two I spoke with also had no idea. I pointed him to this thread and Kii's post earlier today stating the issue had been identified and we were to contact support for a resolution.

Reached out to support as you said, was told that there is nothing that can be done. Not pleased. 

Just to be clear here is the full conversation with support:

You can find a copy of the conversation you requested below.

Chat transcript for case: 7-4318000035710
Dec 22, 4:40 PM (Pacific Time)

4:40:24 PM Josephus Rey: Josephus Rey joined the conversation
4:40:24 PM [my name]: [my name] joined the conversation
4:40:29 PM Josephus Rey: Welcome! Your Case ID is 7-4318000035710. Refer to this if you need to contact us again.
4:40:51 PM [my name]: Hello
4:41:12 PM Josephus Rey: Thank you for contacting Google, my name is Josephus, Am I speaking with Michael?
4:41:18 PM Josephus Rey: Hello Michael, how are you?
4:41:22 PM [my name]: You are
4:41:33 PM [my name]: I am doing well, you?
4:41:41 PM Josephus Rey: I'm doing great, thanks for asking.
4:41:58 PM Josephus Rey: I can see here on your form that you are contacting us about your bricked mini is that correct?
4:42:05 PM [my name]: Correct
4:42:52 PM [my name]: Following the link that Kii posted here
4:42:56 PM [my name]: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/HOME-mini-UNRESPONSIVE-thread-quot-Goog...
4:43:00 PM Josephus Rey: I'm sorry to hear that. Since I am on the line, let us figure this one out.
4:43:15 PM Josephus Rey: Got it. Let me check that one for you.
4:44:10 PM Josephus Rey: May I have the serial number of your device Michael?
4:44:41 PM [my name]: Sure, hold on just a moment for me to get it
4:44:46 PM Josephus Rey: Sure take your time.
4:46:12 PM [my name]: I figured it would be in the device information in the Google home app but it is not
4:46:23 PM [my name]: And it is not on the device
4:46:33 PM Josephus Rey: You can check it below on the device Michael
4:46:54 PM Josephus Rey: Or if not on the device you can check it also on the box if you still have it.
4:47:09 PM [my name]: No box is long gone
4:47:32 PM [my name]: Screenshot_20231222-184720.png
4:47:33 PM Josephus Rey: I see. You can check it on the bottom portion of the device.
4:48:04 PM [my name]: PXL_20231223_004752333.jpg
4:48:14 PM [my name]: Nothing there
4:48:50 PM Josephus Rey: Let me check that one for you.
4:50:04 PM Josephus Rey: The numbers next in " Made in China" is the serial number.
4:50:22 PM Josephus Rey: Can you check that one for me Michael?
4:50:35 PM [my name]: Checking
4:50:40 PM Josephus Rey: Thank you.
4:51:12 PM [my name]: Hard to see, give me a moment going to try to take a rubbing
4:51:18 PM Josephus Rey: Sure take your time.
4:53:15 PM [my name]: PXL_20231223_005302273.MP.jpg
4:53:42 PM [my name]: [S/N redacted]
4:53:59 PM [my name]: Filled it in with some pen
4:54:50 PM Josephus Rey: Appreciate your effort right there Michael.
4:55:06 PM Josephus Rey: Have you tried to perform a factory data reset on your device?

4:55:23 PM [my name]: Yes, and it doesn't complete
4:55:43 PM [my name]: Just sits with one light
4:58:34 PM Josephus Rey: I see. With this one Michael for me to escalate your concern right here, I want you to record a video with your and the case id of your concern. Would that be okay with you?
4:59:10 PM [my name]: A video of what?
4:59:35 PM Josephus Rey: A video of your your issue device Michael.
5:00:37 PM Josephus Rey: For us to escalate your concern this to our higher tier of support.
5:00:42 PM Josephus Rey: Would this be okay?
5:00:55 PM [my name]: Sure
5:02:11 PM Josephus Rey: Thank you for understanding. I want you to record a video with your and the case id of your concern. Kindly write this one on a piece of paper " 7-4318000035710".
5:02:45 PM [my name]: Doing that now
5:02:53 PM [my name]: Hold one
5:03:30 PM Josephus Rey: Kindly unplug the device, plug it back in, and observe the light sequence on the top of the device.
5:03:35 PM Josephus Rey: Sure take your time.
5:05:47 PM [my name]: Ok tried to upload but it says file type not supported
5:05:56 PM [my name]: Let me make a share link
5:06:35 PM [my name]: [Link redacted by me for posting]
5:07:04 PM Josephus Rey: Appreciate your effort right there. Let me check this one for you.
5:09:24 PM Josephus Rey: Thank you for waiting and the video quality is pretty good. Kindly record this one also Michael, unplug the device, plug it back in, and observe the light sequence on the top of the device.
5:09:44 PM [my name]: That was at the start
5:09:52 PM [my name]: Need me to do it again?
5:10:26 PM Josephus Rey: Oh I see, but the video right here on my end is only 5 secs and only the serial number of it.
5:10:56 PM [my name]: Should be 59 seconds
5:11:09 PM [my name]: Let me try the link again
5:11:09 PM Josephus Rey: Oh I can see it now
5:11:30 PM Josephus Rey: I can see it now Michael.
5:11:37 PM [my name]: Ok cool
5:13:09 PM Josephus Rey: Thank you for doing that. Michae right now I will escalate the case to a higher tier of support to review and discuss options.
5:13:21 PM [my name]: Thank you
5:13:55 PM Josephus Rey: Can I put this chat on hold for 2 to 3 minutes, would that be okay MIchael?
5:14:09 PM [my name]: That is fine
5:14:19 PM Josephus Rey: Thank you. Please stay connected.
5:16:46 PM Josephus Rey: Hello Michael. Thank you for patiently waiting.
5:16:57 PM [my name]: No problem
5:17:22 PM Josephus Rey: Can you send me directly the video recording? I will send you an email and kindly attached the video recording right there.
5:17:32 PM [my name]: Sure
5:18:43 PM Josephus Rey: Just to confirm MIchael is # your active email address?
5:18:50 PM [my name]: Correct
5:19:02 PM Josephus Rey: Got it. I have sent the email kindly check it.
5:20:43 PM [my name]: File is too large to direct attach
5:22:28 PM Josephus Rey: I see can you edit the video on the part where you do the plug and replug process?
5:22:38 PM [my name]: Hold on
5:22:55 PM Josephus Rey: Sure take your time.
5:25:25 PM [my name]: Still too large
5:26:01 PM [my name]: Pixel 7pro quality is just too powerful! 😆
5:26:24 PM Josephus Rey: I see. Let me check my resources right here on my end. Can you give me 2 to 3 minutes? Would that be okay?
5:26:31 PM [my name]: Sure
5:26:44 PM [my name]: I will try to take a shorter video
5:26:51 PM [my name]: And drop the quality
5:26:59 PM Josephus Rey: Thank you. Please stay connected.
5:27:13 PM Josephus Rey: Oh okay. Thanks for the effort Michael.
5:30:16 PM [my name]: I dropped the quality to HD and took an 11 second video
5:30:24 PM [my name]: Still too big
5:31:05 PM Josephus Rey: Thank you for patiently waiting on the line Michael.
5:31:21 PM Josephus Rey: Oh I see, thanks for the effort right there Michael.
5:32:14 PM Josephus Rey: Thank you so much for the time you spent with us all throughout the troubleshooting. I actually escalated and consulted your case and shared with my team for any possible option but since the device is no longer covered by its warranty of almost 5 years, our request was declined and replacement is no longer an option.
5:32:44 PM Josephus Rey: I hope that you will not take this against me. If only I could why not.
I really love to help you with the best that I could unfortunately my hands are tied with this process.
5:33:57 PM [my name]: But the post from the Google rep said that you acknowledged that this was caused by your firmware update and to reach out to "make this right"
5:34:01 PM [my name]: See attached
5:34:08 PM [my name]: Screenshot_20231222-193255.png
5:37:26 PM Josephus Rey: I see. With this one Michael as per consulting and checking here on my end. I have already escalated your concern to our higher expert but they deliver me that result.
5:38:08 PM Josephus Rey: However I have still in consult about this Michael and I am waiting for their respond if they will provide a replacement or a solution to this issue.
5:38:23 PM [my name]: Nothing against you personally, I understand the chain and how that works
5:38:47 PM [my name]: I have 20+ years in IT
5:38:56 PM Josephus Rey: Thank you for your understanding Michael.
5:39:55 PM Josephus Rey: Rest assured that this issue is already been escalated to our higher expert and they are working on this one.
5:41:48 PM Josephus Rey: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
5:42:08 PM [my name]: This is all I need right now
5:42:33 PM [my name]: Hopefully the higher tier gets back to you soon
5:42:42 PM Josephus Rey: Appreciate your efforts right there Michael and I do apologize for this situation.
5:45:06 PM [my name]: I hope you are having a good Friday night
5:45:33 PM Josephus Rey: You also Michael.
5:45:37 PM Josephus Rey: Once again This is Josephus From Google .There’s a short survey coming up. Google would appreciate your feedback about your experience today. Have a great day!
5:45:42 PM Josephus Rey: Josephus Rey left the conversation
5:45:43 PM Josephus Rey: Let us know how we did: [Link redacted by me for posting]
5:45:43 PM Josephus Rey: Josephus Rey ended the conversation

MarcdeK
Community Member

Thank you for sharing this. As many have already said, us being redirected to support again resulting in exactly the same response (no warranty).

Don't they understand they are wasting an enormous amount of time both on their and the customers side? Google, do you even care?

OMG, they used EXACTLY the same odd verbiage in an email to me "I hope that you will not take this against me. If only I could why not. I really love to help you with the best that I could unfortunately my hands are tied with this process." Was not Josephus Rey, so they just have a standard set of delay tactics and phrases to use.

Good news,

I reached out to them via chat again yesterday
Referenced my case number 
This made a new ticket and I had to make a new video with the new case number
But, I got my RMA and the device will be replaced

Moral of the story: got to follow up apparently 

That's great, they asked me for the RMA info previously and recently started asking for receipt. I found an image on my phone from 2020 and now they are saying it's not clear enough. Did you also have to send the receipt in? I feel they are doing that to mitigate paid cost (was on sale back in 2020) vs. current replacement cost.

No they didn't ask me for a receipt at all, just the video. 

Thanks for confirming. I am getting a special kind of runaround. Probably because I am outside the US, but not sure why we are treated differently.

Please reach out to support and do what?you haven’t created a specific support guideline for this exact problem, and the support ticket form asks us to contact support. 

why don’t you create a specific form for this exact issue? You have a list of all first gen devices and when was the last time they were connected to your services. You just need us to be signed in with our Google account and then you can associate the affected devices with the users properly.

Doesn’t work.  Customer services team do not know anything about this.  Provide a free replacement device to us now.

My question to the Google engineers is, if an update is in the works to unbrick these, how will it be applied. Once bricked, my units are no longer connecting to WiFi, so unless there is a utility released where one can force the update via a micro USB cable connecting to a pc, I think there will be no option but to issue the customers new units.

Ra14
Community Member

#

Except, there is no assistance so basically you are giving us the run around so we, and your colleagues at support, are kept busy.

Please explain what support is going to do. Give us a reference number so they can find what you have come up with to solve this. Or be honest about it and say that you have no intentions fixing the mess you've made.

Google has no intentions of resolving this.

Any news???