cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOME mini UNRESPONSIVE thread - "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem"

halupto
Community Member

Hi guys, here´s thread for anyone who´s experiencing "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem". Possible news from Google, solutions or fix to be written here. Seems this issue affected lot of devices, let´s see what can be done about it and what will be Google´s reaction to this situation.

Moderator edit: Subject updated for clarity and findability

2 Recommended AnswerS

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing details in the comments here and for submitting feedback reports to our team.

We’ve identified the cause of this issue and have stopped the software rollout.

If you’ve been impacted by this issue, we want to make things right: Please reach out to Google Nest support at g.co/nest/contact for assistance.

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this— we're here to help if you have any other questions.

View Recommended Answer in original post

gileswells
Community Member

Sadly it appears this is, at least for now, only available in the US. Replacements have been authorized and I've got the steps that I went through to request AND BE APPROVED FOR IT.

I got my replacement options last night after my last time chatting with Google early in the morning on the 23rd. Either I can return mine and then they send a replacement or I buy a new one (through an individualized link) and they just put a hold on the card which they will release once the return is received. I had to go through some steps with the chat rep Ana (she was great and very patient) including trying the 10x reboot thing and then also sending a quick video of it locking up.

Here's how I got to this point:

1. I went to the contact link that @KiiFromGoogle listed and clicked on the Google Home category and said something about my device being bricked in the text field.
    1. As someone that has worked chat support for other companies before I will say this up front, be courteous, stick to the facts, and overall be genuinely thankful for their assistance. You'll get so much further with being a polite person.
  2. In talking with the rep and confirming that the device was purchased in the United States (I believe I've seen reports that some countries didn't get replacements last time there was a bricking event like this so your results may vary if you're in another country), we started trying some debugging to ensure that it was in fact bricked. Those steps included:
    1. Rebooting the device 10 times through powering it off, waiting 10 seconds and then plugging it back in. We then waited for it to get to the 4 solid white lights before unplugging and doing it all over again. It never got to the "Welcome to Google Home" or whatever it was supposed to say.
    2. We then tried to hold the reset button for 5 seconds (which makes it go into reset mode) and then an additional 10 seconds (which confirms the desire to reset?). This just ended up with 2 white lights for me until I powered it off again and then back on which is when I got back to the 4 white lights.
    3. The last thing that Ana had me do was take a 45 second video showing off the device being plugged in and then it freezing at 4 white LEDs. This was the most annoying part of the process because my phone can't get low enough resolution to get 45 seconds of video and be under the 25mb file transfer limit offered by Gmail. Additionally the file upload included in the chat doesn't receive video files so I had to use email. I tried to offer her a Google Drive link but in the end she just asked that I send as long of a video as I could which ended up being about 15 seconds.
  3. After she had enough evidence, she sent it off to her supervisors to get approval. A supervisor wasn't available so I had to wait 24-48 hours for a response.
  4. 42 hours later I received an email asking for mailing and contact information. This included my name, mailing address (with country) and phone number.
  5. Just an hour later I received my confirmation that I was eligible for a replacement device. I replied with my preference for the Standard Exchange option and am waiting on further instructions. (I'll post that email below)

This is where I am currently in the process but figured it was good enough to post some good news as Google has confirmed that I will be getting a replacement unit for my out of warranty device!

This is the email that I received detailing my replacement options:

Hello Giles,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Customer Care Team.

Congratulations! You are eligible for a replacement.

We have 2 option of the process:

1. Standard Exchange replacements don't require an authorization hold, and a replacement device isn't sent to the customer until Google’s warehouse receives the defective device. Customers are advised to return their product within 14 days according to the RMA instructions; however, in total, the customer will have 45 days from RMA creation to return the defective unit using the shipping labels. The RMA will be canceled if the labels are not exercised or used after 45 days. If the product is returned after this then it is returned to the customer and they are advised to contact support for a new RMA.
  2. Advanced Exchange allows the customer to check out their replacement device from the Google Store via an Advanced Exchange replacement cart link (RCL) sent to their email before they return their original device. The RCL is valid for 90 days and the customer may complete the checkout process anytime within that period.

Once they complete the checkout process, we put an authorization hold on their credit card for the full Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the replacement device. Once the authorization hold is approved, a replacement device is shipped to the customer in 2-7 business days.

Please let us know and reply to this email on which option you prefer.

For reference your case number is [my case number]. If you need more help, you can contact us again and reference this case number or reply to this email to reopen your case.

Have a new question? There are lots of ways to get back in touch with us below.

Thank you,

Ana

^ Look at Ana being awesome. @KiiFromGoogle please, if you're able to, pass along my well wishes to Ana's leadership team. She was top notch, knew her stuff, and was great through the whole process.

12/27 edit is below. Also updated step 1 from the list to give clearer instructions on how to get to the right chat.

I got my return instructions. Essentially I box it up and take a QR code to FedEx and they will print the shipping label. The box needs to include both the Google Home Mini and the power cable. They also provide the link for how I can track the shipment as it heads off to Google for receipt and then 1-2 days after they receive it they should have a new one sent out to me.

Final update (1/3/2024): So Google made a mistake and accidentally sent me the full sized Nest Audio as a replacement instead of the Nest Mini that I was expecting. 🤯 I hope that others are able to get as lucky and that those out of the US are given better options for resolving their issues.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1,069 REPLIES 1,069

mturnbull426
Community Member

My device has 4 dots currently I can't seem to reset it or do anything with it

I am on this forum for the same issues. I cannot factory reset by using the button on the bottom, or by using the disconnect power for 10 sec and reconnect 11 times. Neither method has worked, so I’m looking for other options. 

I am in the same boat. How do I contact Google about this? 

me either

My 1st gen Home Mini stopped working this week. Stuck with 4 faded lights. Doesn't react to factory resets

Same here - one out of 8 minis (1. generation) is bricked.  first 2 white LEDs then 4 white LEDs. Reset button makes the left LED show green which goes back to white after releasing the reset. The 11 times unplug for 10 seconds also didn't help. 

DReames
Community Member

Exact same here. 

BruceLD
Community Member

Same scenario here. Concerned that Google is so silent on the matter.

halupto
Community Member

Seems lot of devices got affected. Now waiting for Google´s statement/fix/solution to the situation

ma10--_
Community Member

If google did something around the same time, and we all lost.  Why do we have the expense of buying something new?

daniele_delfini
Community Member

Same situation, 4 white led and when press reset button nothing happen...

BroukEsp
Community Member

se here, with a lot of stuff connected to the Google home... very annoying....

Magnusmorn
Community Member

Hi. Mine too... sadly..

Just a V.1 problem?

René65
Community Member

Same problem here ( Netherlands). 4 dots and reset not possible. 

Can’t do anything with the mini.

waiting for reaction Google.

it’s a nest mini 1e generation.

Pvdspek
Community Member

Same problem here ( Netherlands). 4 dots and reset not possible. 

Can’t do anything with the mini.

waiting for reaction Google.

it’s a nest mini 1st generation.

Very weird that only 1 of my 3 Nest Mini's (all 1st generation) shows this behaviour. The other 2 are okay.

Ejly
Community Member

I have two working and one bricked mini now too.

René651
Community Member

I had contact with google support. Seems to be the mini is dead.

Google didn’t receive many messages about this problem.

please contact google support and tell about the problem, then they will start an investigation.

I wrote a google message on Saturday and another on Sunday. no reply yet.  

Through email? I want to contact them, too, I just don’t know the best way.. 

I contacted Google and was told because the device is out of warranty that I need to buy a new hub even tho its there fault my perfectly working device has stopped due to there update

Totally unacceptable what there customer service are telling customers!

Grefor
Community Member

The same...I'm totally agree with you!!

Basically they can force you to buy new device every 1 or 2 years (depending on your country) just by bricking it remotely some time after warranty runs out. 

They do not need to receive messages from us. 

They know how many devices this update was pushed to and how many of those device didnt come back online. They KNOW. 

They're hearing about it NOW. You don't notice it right away if you don't use the mini on the daily. Very disappointing. 

Magnusmorn
Community Member

Hi.

Nice coincidence... suddenly the minis die almost at the same time...

“Google hasn’t received many messages about this issue”

Is that so? Good for them, but how many users respond first to other sources like retailers, Amazon, etc.? And by the way, the problems seem to have started last weekend, so I think there will be more people affected in the next few days.

Edit:

Problems started Tuesday last week, according to the first userreplys here.

Martin881
Community Member

the mini 1st generation have the problem and they are mostly without the seller's warranty. my mini also only lights up and warranty expired 8/2023...

daniele_delfini
Community Member

At the moment Google responded to me that the device's warranty has expired and they can't do anything and I have to repair it myself at my own expense. My Google Home Mini is a first version.

They told me the same thing, they're miserable

the same also for me!!

What an absolute joke of a company. Guess who is switching to Alexa. 

Thats a joke, isnt it???

Can anybody tell if there was a system-update that caused the "murdering" of the older Minis? Otherwise it must be a hack of an coincidence...

Kidding right? Remotely bricked device isnt something you have just mentioned. 

Right. There's a difference between it just.. breaking and pushing an update that CAUSES it to break. 

daniele_delfini
Community Member

For my opinion is a software update that caused this issue.

Check this page:
https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7365257?hl=en&sjid=4885825156427189953-EU

Last update is 06 december 2023... coincidence?

A few minutes ago, the operator said in the ( german) Google Home service chat that the problem was affecting an increasing number of mini-users and that a solution was being worked on via an update. Let's hope for the best...

Not possible to remotely update bricked device. 

Voidstate242
Community Member

Hi, same here, out of the blue sometime Friday night/Saturday morning, my home mini has 4 lights on. Tried the restart 10 times with 10 secs delay procedure and the reset button procedure and nothing. Just had a chat with support and after sending them my serial number, photos of the 4 lights, and one green light and 3 white lights when trying the reset, they said it was out of warranty so nothing they can do. Seems a bit strange that a load of people are having the same issue around the same time - dodgy update that's bricked them?

Such crap. If they caused the problem they should correct it. I’m having the same issues. Not happy.