cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Doorbell View Rendering

JustinDSheridan
Community Member

I have a nest doorbell connected to a 400MB internet connection but any time someone rings my doorbell it takes 45 seconds to two minutes to render the app’s camera view so I can interact. It’s been this way since the day I got it. Does anyone else have this issue? I’d expect the app to be much faster than this. 

191 REPLIES 191

Numbers112
Community Member

Any input on this would be much appreciated...

jonkotaco
Community Member

same problem.  I wonder why Google support is so awful.  I had similar problems trying to contact someone about my Google wifi and couldn't even get them to understand what I was asking for.   I get better support from dropshippers in China.

HiramD
Community Member

I have been having the same issue. I don't think Google cares about it's Nest camera...

Charliegoo
Community Member

Google agents , are you going to solve this? 

Caesium
Community Member

Doorbell just rang whilst I had phone in hand looking at TikTok. I touched the notification at the top of the screen and it launched the Nest app.

I had a black screen saying connecting. The counter was going up saying time since ring.... 20...25...30

then I got the blue page saying cannot connect to nest service.

This is diabolical. 

AMonroe1911
Community Member

The Nest ecosystem worked almost seamlessly before Google ruined the user experience. I have multiple cameras and Nest thermostats. Google ignoring all of us tells me all that I need to know. I’m switching to Ring. For crying out loud Google. This is a subscription service. We expect better. DO BETTER!

Charliegoo
Community Member

Google agent? 

handyvorb
Community Member

Looks like this is their way of acknowledging  there is a problem, but no solution.  Time to get out of the Google ecosystem.

Willie2602
Community Member

I had a ring doorbell and it was doing the same thing. Then I bought a nest doorbell, at first it was instinct action. Then overtime the nest doorbell started to do the same thing that the ring did. Thought it was a internet speed issue, I upgraded to 400, still the same.

handyvorb
Community Member

I’m on 2 Gig google fiber, internet is blazing fast, no lag on any devices except this doorbell.

baseman
Community Member

Same issue here, just cancelled my nest aware subscription in lieu of replacing it for a different brand. I've tried connecting this to a powerful commercial grade access point but it doesn't improve the situation. I suspect the issue to be on the google server side, possibly they are not interested in continued support of this product so leaving the aging servers to struggle away. It's a shame as the product itself is very nice and integrates well with other google products.

Slom
Community Member

My assumption is that this slowness is a hardware issue, the hardware must "wake up" after seeing motion to save battery.

I'm wondering if anyone has hardwired their doorbell and if so, is it more responsive?

It's a server side issue. Not hardware related and not internet connectivity related. Everyone is saying the same thing. Google just doesn't want the old hardware.

So what is the solution???

Do Nest have a new updated hardware? Trying not to mix up between goggle and ring

They would need to update the app. It's a bug. I would suspect Google would rather you just get the new nest doorbell. 

hardwired doorbell has same problem - nothing to do with power

akaAlfie
Community Member

This happens with me too. It's awkward that somebody rings my doorbell and I'm sitting staring at my phone for 45 seconds to see who it is 😂

akaAlfie
Community Member

So I'm assuming Google's silence on this issue is their way of telling us 2 things:

1. They don't know the answer.

2. "Just drop $180 on the new doorbell, and move on" 😂

I think it's the latter.  😂

I’m almost sure of that. Their server is from the 90s. They should stop selling Google Cloud and start using AWS. 

SiMannAyr
Community Member

Yes guys, I have had this issue since getting the doorbell. The lag is often so long that the person ringing the bell is gone! It's just not good enough to be honest. Expensive doorbell, professionally installed and yet pretty useless, when you need it the most. Come on Google, get a grip here. 

AbnerNL
Community Member

Same issue here. It takes very long for the live video feed to work when someone has pressed doorbell. Especially irritating with goods deliveries. These guys will leave within 15 seconds if there is no reply, but it takes ages for this doorbell to show the live feed and allow the option to give the delivery person an instruction. Hope to get a solution soon or otherwise I want my money back!

I know. It's utterly ridiculous. 

JWizzz
Community Member

I'll add to the pile that Google really doesn't seem to care about.  Same exact issues, strong signal, slow on initial connection.  Person is often gone before it opens.

Plodster2432
Community Member

I'm on here as I was hoping to resolve this. On a 5g connection away from home. Bell rings whilst phone in my hand the vans gone before the app connects.. truly shocking from Google. It never used to do this.

AMonroe1911
Community Member

Is anyone experiencing this lag with the Gen 2 doorbell? Not that I’m upgrading or anything (done with Google’s inferior product and quest to own every personal data attribute in the world). Just curious if this is some shady business approach to force their product user base to upgrade (akin to how Apple deliberately slows the performance of older model iPhones).

KK12
Community Member

I found a solution for slow loading times with my wired doorbell!

(TLDR: Disable any DNS filtering for doorbell MAC)

Like many of you, it was taking almost a minute to load the feed. In my case it was not an issue with internet speed, signal strength, Android, Apple, Google Home app, or the Nest app; but with the DNS requests from the doorbell.

Once I whitelisted the MAC address to prevent DNS filtering, it loads within 3-5 seconds if the app had active background processes and under 10 seconds if its a fresh launch.

Charliegoo
Community Member

Hi 

can you give a detailed step by step on how to disable dns filtering please 

many thanks 

KK12
Community Member

Hi,

I wish I could, its a unique process to whichever appliance handles your DNS. I use Pi-hole but if you use your ISPs modem, a third party router, switch or server the steps are going to be different. You will have to Google the steps based on the make/model of that device.

GL

D-guy
Community Member

Same here...

Product doesn't work within any reasonable parameters.  Only nest product that seems to be worth anything is the thermostat and that wasn't developed by Google.  Guess I'm switching to Ring.   Any help here Google?!?!?

AMonroe1911
Community Member

So I finally caved (I have a few responses above too). I like the aspect of having one user interface to monitor my Nest products so I bought the Gen 2 Doorbell. Oh look… the latency issues disappeared now, but at an expense that wasn’t obvious when I purchased:

1.  “Nest” is being phased out of the brand strategy). Camera says “Google” now (grr!)
  2. The Gen 2 “Google” doorbell cam is no longer accessible from the Nest consolidated user interface. You can only see/access the camera in the Google Home app (very eff’n grr!!!)
  3.  No night vision (or just really, really poor night vision)
  4. Can’t schedule an on/off routine. It’s either on or off, but manually induced 
  5. Can’t pinch and zoom from the live view 
  6. I would NOT recommend this product 

Note: I have the “wired” version.

I've shared this on twitter. It's astonishing really, that they don't give a **bleep** about their products being pretty useless. 

tfarr001
Community Member

Same issue here. On Google fiber with an access point very close to the doorbell. My phone is also on a very fast Google fiber connection at work. Trying to connect to the doorbell in my app takes forever and sometimes times out.

Floriskw
Community Member

It is not only slow within the home app. Whenever someone presses the doorbell and I try to connect to live view, the person's already gone.

We also have a Google nest hub. It takes +1 minute before the video is shown on the hub.

My asus router allows me to check the connection of the devices. It says the doorbell has a Excellent connection to our 2.4 GHz network. The tx (from router to doorbell) is always around 60-75mbps. However the Rx (from the doorbell to the router) is just 1 Mbps. Our (battery) doorbell is connected to the doorbell power and the battery is always around charged, so no power issue as well.

3 meters next to the doorbell I have the latest google (battery) camera which is wired to the adapter. This camera is further away from the router and has the same signal strength. However both tx and rx are always around 75mbps.

No clue why the Google doorbell has issues zending out his data. Already tried a reboot and also a factory reset, but nothing helps.

Craigdaly
Community Member

Same boat but a little faster internet. Short answer, the nest app/device is 3 out of 10. Constantly signs you out, never loads quick. It’s AWFUL. we’ve had the same issues. Switching soon to something stronger 

PAndy
Community Member

I had the same problem.
It took forever before I could see anything on the camera via the Home app.
I have now solved the problem for myself by changing the WLAN channel from automatic to channel 11.
Since I have many Zigbee devices in the house, I could imagine that they somehow interfered with each other.

Deanrw76
Community Member

I Have the same probleme here! the most people are allready gone when I have a connection, by PC and by Phone! Is there an updat that i missed?

No update. Google have suggested steps involving reinstall of app etc, but to no avail. They do come back to me, but would not appear to be that bothered that their product is pretty rubbish tbh 😕

Gambo
Community Member

thats just how google works just told my cm that he would have to wait for an update on the nest hub i have no idea when that update will come and i dont even know if someone is working on it great company hope they die of kidney and eye cancer 🙂