cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Coordination of homes between Nest and Home and sharing with household members

Janetg123
Community Member

I bought Nest Protects for home and garage.  Home and Garage are set up in Nest as two different “homes” because they are on different Wifi networks.  Then I bought a Nest camera (foolishly assuming it would work on the Nest App.)  But no - had to set camera up in Google Home app. A bit irritating, but whatever. 

Problem is I can’t figure out how to share access to the garage Protect notifications with my husband.  I can’t share with him through Nest App.  It forces me to use the Home App.  But the Home app is only recognizing one home - our house, not the garage.   So on my phone I can see all the smoke detectors on the Nest app by switching between “homes” but my husband can’t see the garage Nest on his phone.   Looks like I need to get the Google Home app to recognize the “garage household” but I can’t figure out how, since the garage Protect is not recognized by the Home app.  

4 REPLIES 4

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Try these steps:

1. Open the Google Home app.
  2. At the top right, tap your account.
  3. Verify that the Google Account shown is the one linked to your Nest Protect. To switch accounts, tap another account or Add another account.
  4. Tap Assistant settings > Home control.
  5. Swipe down with your finger on the screen.
  6. here will be a spinning circle. The sync is complete when the circle disappears.
  7. See if your garage "home" and Nest Protect now shows up in the Home app.

No - my Google Nests have never shown up in the home app.  Should they?  I have to go to NEST to see smoke detectors and HOME to see security cameras.  Are you saying that there is a way to get the nest protects to show up in HOME so I can have everything in one app?  Obviously there should be - but I can’t figure out how and judging from complaints, I am not the only one.   

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Apologies, you're referring to Nest Protect showing up in the Home app, it's one of the products that doesn't show in the Home app and will only show in the Nest app. 

Janetg123
Community Member

I must say I find it shocking that the software is so bad.   It is bad enough that they make you have 2 different apps for smoke detector and security cameras.   But then to force you to manage Nest permissions from the Home app is just crazy.  All I can say to anyone else with this problem,  I finally got it so my husband can see all the smoke detectors and the security camera in his phone.  But I could not do it with out it creating phantom homes - homes with the same names with nothing that they run.  So we see multiple repeat homes.  Maybe there is a way to delete the phantoms but whenever I try, it breaks something else.  It is a shame because I like the Nests and I like the camera (sort of - hate that you can record what you are live viewing).   But honestly if I knew how horrible the software was, I would never have purchased the security camera.  It forced me to migrate to Home.  If I had stayed with the Nest app I think it would have been fine.  Google should be really embarrassed by this technology.   At a minimum don’t label a camera “Nest” if it can’t work with “Nest” smoke detectors.  This took hours to try to fix and still isn’t quite right. So frustrating. Anyway thank you DavidKing for trying to help.