cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Disconnect "if one goes off they all go off" smoke detector feature?

Herzetty
Community Member

I originally set up our 3 Nest Protects so that if one went off, they all will. I'd like to change this so that only the one that detects an issue goes off. I can't find this option anywhere in the app. Is this possible?

5 REPLIES 5

listairee
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello @Herzetty,

Thanks for reaching out. I do not believe this is possible as it is a code by National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and International Residential Code (IRC) that all smoke detectors must be connected to one another.

Hope that helps! 🙂

Herzetty
Community Member

That doesn't make sense to me since traditional smoke detectors don't have any connected features. It was also a choice I made when I set up the Nest devices.

listairee
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello @Herzetty,

Even though it might not seem that smoke detectors are interconnected, they are. Wired smoke detectors are normally connected using normal wire for three-way switches. It is a requirement per Section R314. 

I did a recent setup and it automatically interconnect. I did not see the option you mentioned. Though, if an alarm goes off, it does tell you where the issue is.

Hope that helps! 🙂

@Herzetty 

This Google Nest Help topic implies that wireless interconnect for Nest Protects is automatic and not optional:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9232615

Herzetty
Community Member

The traditional smoke detectors I have (purchased pretty recently) are vatter powered, not wired, so there's no connection (which I've witnessed in action). Maybe there are differences in requirements by state, which could explain the different setup experience I had. Sounds like if I want to change it, I'd need to re-set up my devices.