cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Moving Nest Protect to a different Google account on a different phone

Mitzi72
Community Member

Our Nest Protect system is installed and linked to my husband's Google account through the Nest app on his Android phone.  We want to move it from his Google account to to the Nest app on my Android phone, using my Google account.  I'm not sure how to do this.  

Thank you.

1 Recommended Answer

Dansquestions
Community Member

Yes, that is correct. The QR code is on the back of the smoke alarm. I switched 8 over to a different account last week. I had both battery and hard wired versions.

Both are connected to the wall by a base plate. For the battery one you simply give it a 1/4 turn and will come off. It goes back on just as easy just make sure to line up the "tabs".

I was able to do the same with the hardwired ones. Quarter turn to disconnect from base plate. I left it connected to the wires and had enough room to reach the QR code without disconnecting any wiring. 

The longest part was waiting for each one to reconnect to wifi. I did each one individually.

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dansquestions
Community Member

Delete the nest protect from the old account, factory reset it by pressing and holding until reset, then add to new account. If you have a subscription, be sure to cancel it can't be transferred to a different account. They will not issue a refund for any prorated amount of time left on the subscription.

Thanks for replying so quickly.  I am 2/3rds through the process.  I disconnected the Nest Protect from the old account and did the factory reset.  However, it looks as if adding the system to the Nest account on my phone will require taking the units off the wall.  Is that right, or is there any easier way to do it?  Again, many thanks.

Dansquestions
Community Member

Yes, that is correct. The QR code is on the back of the smoke alarm. I switched 8 over to a different account last week. I had both battery and hard wired versions.

Both are connected to the wall by a base plate. For the battery one you simply give it a 1/4 turn and will come off. It goes back on just as easy just make sure to line up the "tabs".

I was able to do the same with the hardwired ones. Quarter turn to disconnect from base plate. I left it connected to the wires and had enough room to reach the QR code without disconnecting any wiring. 

The longest part was waiting for each one to reconnect to wifi. I did each one individually.

Thanks again.  Happy Holidays!