cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Protect: Can't Add Device

mikesixtysix
Community Member

Hi,

I purchased 9 new Nest Protect Gen 2s from Google, and cannot install them.  I'm adding the device through the Nest app on my IOS device, and it fails on the step: Finishing up, Adding to your Nest Account.  The error given is P009(0.80).  

I have Verizon FIOS Gigabit via the Verizon Router.  

I have a Google Hello doorbell camera, and also a Nest Learning Thermostat already on this same Wifi network with no issues.

I contacted Google support, and tried many things, to no avail.  Reset the protect device, reboot the router, reboot the phone, put the device and phone next to the router.  The phone has the latest o/s and updates, and the app is the most recent version.

I tried this from my son's phone and got the same error.  

I don't have any non standard network settings, and I have other devices that require 2.4Ghz on this same network and those work fine.  IPV6 is enabled on the router.  

Any other suggestions before I return all 9 of these devices?  

Thanks!

43 REPLIES 43

Mikeyling
Community Member

I’m running into the same issues as you. I’ve even tried manually connecting instead of using the QR code.

If we’re both using the same devices to setup and getting the same error, it might be an issue with Google.

I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

mikesixtysix
Community Member

I couldn't tell if I was chatting with an actual person or a bot because it kept giving me the same suggestions over and over.  But you're right, there could be some operational issue on the backend.  I'll try again tomorrow as well.  

Cal26
Community Member

The error code P009(0.80) indicates that there is a problem with the network connection between your Nest Protect and your router. This can be caused by a number of things, such as:

• A weak or unstable Wi-Fi signal
  • A firewall or other security software that is blocking the connection
  • A problem with your router's settings

To troubleshoot this issue, please try the following steps:

1. Make sure that your Nest Protect is within range of your Wi-Fi router. You can check the signal strength by looking at the LED on the front of the device. If the signal is weak, try moving the Nest Protect closer to the router.
  2. Check your router's settings to make sure that it is not blocking the connection to Nest Protect. You can usually find this information in your router's manual or on the manufacturer's website.
  3. Disable any firewalls or other security software that may be blocking the connection.
  4. Restart your router and your Nest Protect.

Thanks, but I did all those things.  I put the nest protect and my phone literally adjacent to the router, with a full strength 5 bar signal.  This is not the problem.

"A problem with your router's settings" is very non-specific.  

Mikeyling
Community Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve restarted my phone, the best protect, and network devices. Every other device including other nest products can connect except the nest protect.

DrJ1001
Community Member

Same issue. Wonder when real "support" will be provided! 

msc_8791
Community Member

I created a separate home called Home_protect and was able to add the Nest Protect under that. Im now going to try to shift all over to Google home...

good call, i did the same and i was able to add a nest protect to the new home.  now to try moving my nest hello and thermostat to the new home.

DrJ1001
Community Member

Yes, that is the only way I got Nest Protect to work, by adding an entirely new home account on the Nest app.  Doesn't make any sense and support should have resolved already.

the support people are clueless about it.  half the time i feel like i'm talking to a chatbot.  they basically just told me okay, well if you can only add a nest protect to a new home structure (as they term it), then just remove the other devices like the thermostat and hello doorbell cam from the original home structure and add them as new devices to the new home structure.  

Colin66
Community Member

I have same issue. It used to work on old router, had to change that as sky hub was useless. Everything else was ok, doorbell, thermostat, minis etc. Nest protect fails at last stage when it says adding to account. Nothing works with regards to there suggestions. New router is wifi6, maybe that is the issue. I don't know what I am doing with the huge number of setting on my router. It's basically all set to defaults though apart from some minor ones to get it to work with sky.

DrJ1001
Community Member

I think it may be an issue with the firewall (have latest Xfinity router) or something but that doesn't entirely make sense either because if that would be the case, then the issue would be duplicated when I add the Protect to the new Home in Nest.

Colin66
Community Member

Interesting, I read that it's not possible to move protect from home to home? Or does it work ok like that? It seems strange as that proves it's not a problem our end.

the issue is definitely not on our end i'd say.  i can add it into one home structure but not another, even though they are both in the same place and using the same wifi. 

DrJ1001
Community Member

Yes, Protect works when you move it to a 'new Home'.  Haven't gone about getting all my Nest devices moved to that 'new Home' yet or don't even know how to go about it.  I'm guessing I am going to have to delete each product, e.g., 1 Nest doorbell, 2 Nest cameras, 1 Nest thermostat, and then reinstall them to that new 'Home'.  Just cumbersome and unnecessary as far as I'm concerned. 

mikesixtysix
Community Member

there is no "move" function per se, all you can do is move a device by deleting it from one home structure, factory reset it, and then recreating it in the new home structure.  

Robbie_H
Community Member

I knew getting new broadband would be a pain but this Protect issue is ridiculous - SORT IT OUT GOOGLE!!

Colin66
Community Member

I contacted nest chat and they said to add nest protect to a new home. I did that and worked first time. The chat said it's fine to leave like that. They first suggested I remove thermostat but that didn't help.

You can leave it like that and it works fine but you won't get any of the interconnect features of the various products if they are in different home structures.  Also if you have a Nest Aware subscription that only covers one home structure, so if you have two home structures that could be a consideration.

mikesixtysix:  So what would you suggest?  In order to have 1 Home structure, should we delete all Nest products in the original Home account, then add them 1 by 1 to the new Home structure that had to be created in order for the Nest Protect to work?  If so, have you done that already and would you mind providing a step by step or some guidance?  I wouldn't want to factory reset my settings.  Is there a way to create them in the new Home without losing your current settings?

Well thats the problem, there is no other way apparently.  You have to remove the existing devices, in my case the Nest Hello and the Learning Thermostat, factory reset them, and then add them to the new Home Structure as if they were new.  You will have to create all the settings again, it won't remember them.  

I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to in the next couple days.  I have the procedures that were went to me by Nest support.  Once I try it I'll post back here and let you know if it worked.

Colin66
Community Member

Good point, I guess we wait for a fix.

Colin66
Community Member

It is almost like the nest account has some memories that can be erased which are preventing the nest protects being re-added to the same home. I hope they fix as spent hours trying to get to work.

yeah i think you are right about this, but i'm guessing its going to take some time for the engineers at google to figure it out and fix it.  who knows if the message even gets through since we can only talk to the front line support people who i'm still not convinced are actual humans.

Colin66
Community Member

Sorry I ment memory that can't be erased

mikesixtysix
Community Member

ok so i bit the bullet and went through the process and it worked.  i had to remove my nest thermostat from the current home structure, do a factory reset, then add it back to the new home structure where i had created all the protects.  

did the same with the nest hello doorbell camera, that worked as well.  i just took a bunch of screenshots of the current configuration and then changed all the settings back after i added the device back.

very manual, and a huge pain, but it did work.  so now all my nest devices are in the same home structure.

I ended my Nest Aware subscription in the original home structure and then added a new one after i added the doorbell camera back.

here are the links i used, fyi:

mikesixtysix
Community Member

And just as an fyi, here are the interconnect features that appeared once the protects are in the same home structure as the other devicesScreenshot 2023-05-24 at 9.11.09 PM.png

Colin66
Community Member

Good to know that worked mike66, what about linking to the google home app where I have even more stuff set up. Is that automatic?

well, the thermostat and nest hello show up in the google home app as before,  but i don't see the protects.  afaik the nest protects don't appear in the google home app, that's just what i've read

Colin66
Community Member

I switched mine all over now. Google home app now needs sorting as I have a number of homes. It seems to do some auto updating so will leave to see if it merges them

Colin66
Community Member

It didn't auto update. I had to remove all smart speakers from old Google home then move them all one by one to new Google home. It does remember all settings though so not to bad. I think I now sorted it all. Thanks for suggestions

ah, good to know, thanks.  i have some other devices like tv's that are still in the old google home.

Mikeyling
Community Member

After sitting down and reading some reddit threads regarding this issue, I was able to resolve my Nest Protect connection issue. 

Basically, I just needed to allow IPv6 traffic within the network. I did enable IPv6 on the router and that didn't solve my issue. It wasn't until I allowed the IPV6 traffic to flow internally on my firewall, that everything connected as expected. It also made the setup process much quicker as it pulled all the wifi info from my nest doorbell camera.

That's interesting, I fixed mine the long way via a new home and transfering everything into it. Your way sounds much easier! It is a pity the nest help didn't say to do that when I contacted them!

Yeah, I saw most people did the "home transition" method. I just wanted to reply in case anyone else came across this message board looking for answers.

ipv6 was already enabled on my network so that wasn't the fix for me

Yeah, ipv6 being enabled alone isn’t the fix. IPv6 needs to be opened up within your network as well. I enabled ipv6 and that didn’t fix it … I had to create a firewall rule to allow all IPv6 traffic internally.

I did that too.  It was one of the requirements in the doc that nest support sent me early on.

Yeah, it could be a number of issues. That seemed to the be final issue for me. Just wanted to make sure I clarified that "enabling ipv6" isn't the same as "allowing ipv6" for future readers.