cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Protect do not appear in Google Home App

Kawabunga18
Community Member

I just purchased 3 Nest Protect detectors installation and setup via the Nest App (iOS) was flawless. However unlike my Nest Door Bell post setup and installation the Nest Protect units do not appear in my Google Home app. Does anyone have a remedy for this problem or can it simply not be done?  

1 Recommended Answer

GoogleNestTeam
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)
We can confirm that supporting Nest Protect in Home App is indeed on our roadmap. We understand that this has been a long desired capability and the team is fully committed to expanding Home App support to cover the much loved Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm.

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

Disalp
Community Member

Too late for me stripping google smart home devices from my home. Nesrly finished now. Plus what a suprise no dates given. 

Stadia was the final straw and I can imagine the home devices disappearing down the pan. 

Alexa voice control is far more reliable. Far more functionality. Ring integration as well. Not perfect but a hell of allot better than Google. Do something about it today ditch them..

badboybubby69
Community Member

I can't begin to describe my frustration with Google for the fact that the one device (out of 20) I own can't be added to my Google Home. Its basic stuff this Google and I'm seriously beginning to lose faith in you. Why the hell do I need to continue with the Nest App just to see my Protect device. I should be able to easily add it to HOME. I bought it the same time as my Thermostat, Cameras and every other device!

Join the club BBB, I bought my x3 protects in anticipation of being able to manage them via the google home app I was sadly mistaken. Since day one when I created this thread Dec 2021 there has been NO indication that google intend to allow it either. >8( 

I will believe it when i see it. I've heard the "We aRe wOrKiNg Sooo HaRd On ThIs 4 u!" For well over a year now. With the way they're handling Scotland... No trust remains.

Stephaniejh22
Community Member

Came here thinking it was user error as to why my smoke alarms won’t show up on google home. Literally would have thought twice about buying them if I knew this. I like having all smart home devices within the one app, the only reason I’ve been sticking with google items! This sucks. Surely not a hard fix for google themselves 

Volks, as Said before already. I am done with Google. Their politics shows clearly poor integration of all their own and other hijacked company’s. They never ever finish anything and have no interest on customer needs at all. They just pure follow their own agenda, if they have one. - After i even could not let Philips Hue and Nest protect work together, also IFTTT support suspended since ages, there is no Smart anymore in this devices. I am on pure Alexa now and other vendors. Works and not give me headaches. Cheaper also. The pixel watch and Fitbit is an actual good example about poor integration. 

A fix is coming with Matter integration and a new Google Home app version early next year.

@MarkKeller wrote:

A fix is coming with Matter integration and a new Google Home app version early next year.

I'll believe that when I see it Mark fingers crossed though.

I do hope so. However, I'm already looking to change my entire ecosystem of products. Out will go the Pixel Phones (x3), WIFI (x4), Cameras, Nest Thermostat, Max Hubs (x2), Small Hubs and also the Nest Subscriptions,.

Don't hold your breath

What’s your source?

warpurlgis
Community Member

It's really absurd this isn't fixed yet. I can shut my son's Xbox off with the home app, or control ran iot plugs, but not my protect

DanCoco
Community Member

Also is it just me, or do the replies to this thread not even sort newest to oldest or vice versa? Can they even get forum software right? 

Jonas_whynot
Community Member

I bought 2 firedetectors could not integrate them in in google home. I feel tricked for buying them!

cmdrACTY
Community Member

It's crazy how much Google loves to criticize Apple for not letting everyone else use iMessage but they can't even make their own stuff work.

Fragmentation and incomplete projects is how Google do

My temperature sensors for my thermostat appeared in the home app today. Still no protects but that's 6 devices I no longer need nest app for. Just....you know, 6 protects still missing

Matthias
Community Member

I support this request to add active products like the nest protect to the app. It makes sense.

I
oh, and please start progressing the nest guard home security system. I really like mine but it’s a bad feeling that it is discontinued. A good product.

With nest guard discontinued and googles ADT share holdings I highly doubt they will ever port it. I see it more likely they focus on assistant integration with ADT and offload that class of product and maintenance to them

Adt has nothing they make. They just use others products. Anything adt uses will be supplied from Google or something they already had.

ExDelita
Community Member

Being in the alarm industry I can probably guess what the big deal is very easy. Smokes are a nest product. Because it's life safety Google probably doesn't want to take it over till they release their own version some year. When it comes to fire life safety companies don't want to take blame for anything so Google is liking letting nest take the fall if something was ever to go wrong. I use to work for ADT and they did same thing for business fire alarms. They had a sub company called p1. They seperated themselves from adt because adt got sued hard 1 time and made them look bad. So now they can say wasn't us it's p1. Even know p1 install adt stickers and equipment. That's just a example of why it's most likely something to do with that. Might be a contract term that will have to be renewed and maybe then they would migrate but idk how any of that part works. It's annoying I want mine on home also lol.

anightcap
Community Member

Well, I just purchased a Nest Protect Smoke & CO alarm only to realize it didn't integrate with Google Home. I tried...pretty much everything.

I now understand it's not compatible. Which is complete and utter nonsense.

Thanka to this community for the info.

Yup there is NO remedy for this, welcome to the club/thread for those ensnared by Google promises made and short on delivery on their part to fix this. Until such a time Google gets their act together you have to manage your protects with the Nest app. We're coming up on the one-year anniversary since I started this thread and still, we're no closer to a resolution from Google.

I suggest immediately returning them to the store.

ExDelita
Community Member

I don't they work great and are nice. And you don't have to pay for a alarm to have them call u outside your house. Returning them because u need 2 apps is a really dumb thing to do

Kawabunga18
Community Member

Lol check it out google sent me an email new and improved Google Home App released guess what nothing has changed STILL no Nest Protect support in it. Unreal!

Alexander1230
Community Member

Has anyone actually received an official statement from Google support yet, will it ever be possible to see the Nest Protect in the app?

I don't really understand what is so complicated for Google here?!

Ah that would be a no promises made but yet to be delivered.

DanCoco
Community Member

Well seeing as how Google mail just flagged my notification of this thread as phishing, maybe Google wants to bury this, maybe its just AI. 

My take is if they were actually working on it or going to work on it, they'd have just come out and said it. If they come out and say they're not going to move the protects into Home, they set themselves up for... And im not worried to say this here bc they obviously dont come here and read ... Class action suits. (In sure I'd have been banned already.)

I mean... Does anyone here know how to start one? Or find a firm that would get the ball rolling?

grgid979
Community Member

It is rather silly that protect is not in the app.  I bought mine well before Google acquired Nest, but they are still selling them basically unchanged but with Google branding.  It needs to be in the app.  Pls fix it!

Alexander1230
Community Member

2AA2AA49-7349-496B-AC20-40B2ABE1ED21.jpeg

Please all write an email to this address. Maybe it will bring something.

# 

Please do this. Though I'm sure they're aware they're abandoning nest stuff.

Though ive filled out "FeEdBaCk FoRmS" suggested by google, only to be told the same thing in different words. "i swear we actually care about you and that someone is trying to make the user experience better, but cant even confirm anyone is working on this. Your comment totally isnt going into a black hole never to be seen again."

Murso74
Community Member

Well **bleep**, I bought one of these tonight and I guess it's going back to home Depot.   I'll probably give my cameras to my mother and go with a NAS solution instead.  After years of this I think I'm finally done

Yeah that maybe a good idea Murso there is STILL no resolution from google on this issue and its been over a year since I started the thread with no indication anything will change anytime soon.

Automator
Community Member

Why is this still broken. I had the same experience described in this thread. I wish I knew this before buying the smoke alarm. 

This is the thing I bought my nest doorbell 1st it shows up in the home app NO ISSUES stupid my I made an assumption the Protects x3 I have would also but not so much. Then this thread was born a year and a one month later still no support from Google. If you are looking for this functionality you’ll be waiting a long time just like the rest of us. 

pbfoye
Community Member

Hello Google?!?!? Is anyone listening? Here it is, January 2023 and there is STILL no integration of the Nest Protect smoke/CO2 detectors in the Google Home app. This is more than sad, it is infuriating. I had my house running very nicely on Nest (Protect, Thermostats, Cam, doorbell/cam). Then I added a current gen Indoor cam, which low and behold isn't supported by the Nest App. So, I HAD to add the Google home app to add that camera. All went well as I added the new camera and my old cam, thermostats and doorbell all migrated to the Home app without issue.

But wait... where are my (4) Nest Protects? THEY didn't come across and I can't add them. So now I have to use 2 separate apps for my home? I can't get a single integrated view and control of my home? Somehow I think if Google had not gone proprietary and killed the original NEST Open API that this would be fixed (if not by Google, then a third party would have done it.

Google should be ashamed and embarrassed of themselves. So much for my many years of being an enthusiastic advocate for Nest products. I didn't really worry about the Google acquisition at the time since I felt that Google was open and innovative... I was wrong!

ANestUser1
Community Member

With matter support now announced is anything changing?

metramo
Community Member

When I try to add the N'est protect to Google home, it refuses and tells me to add the Nest Protect on the Nest app instead. You can try, but I'd be surprised.

metramo
Community Member

Just tried. No change