cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Protect do not appear in Google Home App

Kawabunga18
Community Member

I just purchased 3 Nest Protect detectors installation and setup via the Nest App (iOS) was flawless. However unlike my Nest Door Bell post setup and installation the Nest Protect units do not appear in my Google Home app. Does anyone have a remedy for this problem or can it simply not be done?  

1 Recommended Answer

GoogleNestTeam
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)
We can confirm that supporting Nest Protect in Home App is indeed on our roadmap. We understand that this has been a long desired capability and the team is fully committed to expanding Home App support to cover the much loved Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm.

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

I just installed a complete home automation system for my disabled father and see that the smoke/CO2 detectors are only visible in the Nest App while everything else is in the Home app.  Its a bit frustrating to have to toggle between 2 apps to see the whole system.  I hope Google expedites what should be pretty basic app programming to allow these on the Home app.

You’ve come to the right thread Hooligan there is NOTHING but frustration in here with Google and this basic need/want from the Public.

(Disclaimer: not a google employee) There is no expected timeline for this to be completed. The only official communication is Soon™ but in reality we have no idea and never is more likely. 

I would recommend returning the nest protects while still able and get a smoke/co detection that has a currently developed app.

(Technically, the protects do not work as you expected them to, so they should be returnable. The marketing is intentionally vague re: app support.)

(I briefly looked at Kidde, they have smart detectors and i see they have an integration "Kidde Alarm" listed when i search in "works with google" on google home. ) I havent confirmed if the Kidde smart detectors do work in Google Home, or what features they may have, but I will research those when I'm due to replace my existing detectors.

But when?  Can you provide an update?

The best we can get is " Soon™ " but don't expect anything.

No. Google will not provide any update, or timeline. The update that you just read, took over 275 comments in just this thread alone, over several years, a news article, and potentially "stirring the hornets nest" by asking if support agents were AI. 

The only other info Google has confirmed is that they indeed do still sell the Nest Protect and as of this moment in time, it is not yet End Of Life.

Highly frustrating that Google's own product is left in the cold yet they set a 9/29 deadline to migrate to Google Home.  No support for Protects.  No API access on temp sensors.  Google mgmt, WAKE UP!

Adding my support and frustration - Google One user, Google/Nest Wi-Fi, 4 Nest Protect … please bring them together 

this lack of integration means I am buying more HomeKit products instead

We have now changed to Google home as the nest app will be going on the 29th September. We have a thermostat, door bell and three smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. We have only now just found out that the smoke & carbon monoxide detectors won’t be able to be added onto the Google home app. We are disgusted with this as we have always been notified of anything before on the nest app. Now we feel what is the point in having these apart from when we are in the house!  From a not very happy customer! 

When? The cost of these is a lot. I've bought 3 and they don't show up in Google Home. Annoying

Hi Team, Would you let me know when Nest Protect will be a capability added in the Google Home App? 2023 or 2024? Thanks

Don’t anticipate that to happen in your lifetime JR if you’ve been following the thread since I created it there has been no concrete answer to that questions whatsoever. 

If there was actual development going on to achieve support for Nest Protects by google home then a release date could be offered.  Since this claim has been made since 2020 and no date has ever been provided I would guess that in fact no development work is being done towards this end and Nest Protects will never be supported by google home.  I would love to be proven wrong, but I doubt that will happen.

The very least your lame team could do is make sure new customers are aware that this supposedly brand new Google/Nest product they bought does not integrate into Google Home. Nowhere on the purchase page is there ANY MENTION that this product will not cohabitate with other Google Home products. It's beyond deceptive, beyond misleading.

How on earth after all these years of complaints can you still sell this product without any forward information to not lead new customers down this absolutely inane rabbit hole? Why do you make it harder for your new customers? Why after jumping through so many hoops, checking out forums etc. are they ultimately led to this page only to realize they have been completely lied to by your deeply dishonest company? Shame on Google, shame on your development team, and shame on your false advertising.

The real question should be, does anyone posting in this thread know a good consumer protection law firm specializing in corporate class action?

So you require us to switch to a Google account for our Nest devices but don’t support all the devices in the Home app? Thought it was cool you still supported the Nest app but apparently it’s just a requirement 😂

THIS THING HAS BEEN OUT FOR LIKE 10 YEARS

jrg167
Community Member

Being in some nebulous "roadmap" is very far from a commitment to support them.   We don't even know for sure if such support really in the roadmap or not.  How about publishing it to make a public commitment?

What about FULL support for Ring doorbells and aborting the drop of support for DropCam security cameras?

Karmulian
Community Member

I find it unlikely that Google will provide full support to an Amazon product. 

Not because they don't want to, but because Amazon want you on the Alexa ecosystem.

I'm glad we've had a reply, it is however disappointing that after 18 months this is only "on the roadmap" with an unclear date, effectively making "the best smart alarm on the market" useless as a smart device. 

Continue to be very disappointed, the lack of integration into their own ecosystem means they provide little to no useful function, and in my case a limit on accessibility (which is why I bought them) 

I'm sadly also expecting this to be used as another excuae to close the thread. (Noting this time it was from a faceless generic account)

Does anyone know any other products that integrate into Google Home in a way nest doesn't?

I don't know if such a product exists but googles handling of their ecosystem ( I have most of their devices to one degree or another and all have issues) makes me prone to only recommending products you can self host.

Home situation is starting to reflect the messaging dumpster fire 😂🤦‍♂️ 

jrg167
Community Member

Even if Amazon does not provide help for such integration by others, I suspect it still can be done quite easily with publicly available information and perhaps some reverse engineering.

The Kiddie smoke alarms might! 🤣🤦 Did they really integrate third party stuff first? 😯

MarkKeller
Community Member

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-committed-adding-nest-protect-to-home-app/

Google is still committed to adding Nest Protect to Home app A community manager confirms that it’s still on the roadmap

PUBLISHED 7 HOURS AGO

Nest products could be some of the best smart home devices out there, if it wasn't for some software woes. Google has been in the process of transitioning legacy Nest devices to its Home app for years now, and customers are frustrated with the slow pace and the lack of some key features. Nest Protect smoke and CO detectors are among the devices that still haven’t made the transition to the Home app, and it almost started to look like they were left in the dust. A Google community manager has now confirmed that they are still on the roadmap, though.

The manager joined a discussion in the Google Nest Community, saying that “We can confirm that supporting Nest Protect in Home App is indeed on our roadmap.” They explain that “We understand that this has been a long-desired capability and the team is fully committed to expanding Home App support to cover the much loved Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm.”

The commitment to adding Nest Protect to Home almost comes as a surprise, given that it looks like the project is all but abandoned. Three years ago, Google was spotted adding Nest Protect devices to some lucky users’ Home apps, though back then, they were missing their assigned rooms and customized names. If you had more than one, it could be difficult to tell them apart. It’s likely that they just showed up in the app as part of Google Home’s support for generic smoke detectors back then, which was introduced a few months earlier than that.

Customers in the support forum are unhappy about the lack of a proper timeline and the long wait they’ve already had to endure. People are asking for a more exact timeline or roadmap for the addition of Nest Protect, and complain that three years later, they still haven’t received a definite answer on when and how Nest Protect will be added to Home.

The 2nd generation Nest Protect has been available since 2015, shortly after Google purchased Nest. Its CO detector expires after 10 years. It's supposed to make smoke and CO detection more intelligent by integrating with your smart home, allowing it to send low-battery warnings and fire alarms via app, even when you're not at home. There are some more smarts to it, like a night light.

Google’s transition from the Nest infrastructure to Google Home has been rocky, to say the least, with many features taken away in the process and only slowly being reintroduced. Making matters worse, switching from Nest to Google Home is a one-way street, so once you’ve decided to move a device over, you can’t go back even when you realize that it doesn’t work the way you like it to anymore.

"Customers in the support forum are unhappy about the lack of a proper timeline and the long wait they’ve already had to endure." 

Hey guys, that's us! We're in the news!

But in all seriousness this is great. To make a promise should mean to be held accountable. This is great news. Maybe I didn't waste $120 on a product my partner and I believed would keep us safer than the average detector.

I’ve wanted to switch away from Nest but sadly it’s that **bleep** Nest Protect that keeps the thermostat on the wall. How has no one else made one like it?

Thank you for posting this Mark for all to enjoy much apricated. 

Jmckenzie28
Community Member

@EmersonB You are either AI or you need to reassess your support strategy, shutting down a post in which many people have pointed out that your product doesn’t work is basically fraud? Google have been selling a product for 3 years that doesn’t work? And you, as the first and only line of contact with Google about this issue are basically saying there’s nothing you can do about it? Yet the product is still for sale? This is completely ridiculous?!! Why can you not talk to developers directly? You work for the same company?! I will be copying this post into every possible review space  for Google nest products I can find and I suggest others in this post should do the same. Google you could stop this from happening by asking a developer to do what essentially is going to take a developer a day to sort out? Why would you make this business decision? it’s mental?!

Shadician
Community Member

Ridiculous that this is still not possible to use with the Google Home app. We've been hearing promises it's "on the roadmap" for years now...

luiz1361
Community Member

Wow, that’s great news! I’m so happy to hear that you are finally going to support Nest Protect in Home App. I mean, it’s not like it’s been seven years since you acquired Nest and promised to integrate its products with your own. It’s not like Nest Protect is one of the most popular and essential smart home devices that millions of people rely on for their safety. It’s not like Home App is supposed to be the ultimate hub for all your smart home needs. No, no, you’ve been busy with other things, I’m sure. Like creating new emojis, or changing your logo, or launching new products that no one asked for. You’ve been doing a fantastic job, really.

So please, take your time. Don’t rush. We can wait a little longer. After all, what’s another year or two in the grand scheme of things? We’re just grateful that you haven’t forgotten about us, your loyal customers. We’re just thrilled that you are fully committed to expanding Home App support to cover the much loved Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. You are the best. 👏👏👏

Aceplato
Community Member

Well said!

Kawabunga18
Community Member

Kawabunga18_0-1691707879945.png

Let's keep the dialogue going everyone the love/hate feedback on this thread is impressive since I originally posted the topic.  

Gambo
Community Member

hey guys im a t1 google sup for hardware in the danish market, you gotta remember the support teams "google" have are third party people and have nothing to do with google other than our mails being # but i gotta admit the training i got was outdated and not very useful but what do i know im just a stupid 21 year old 

Iabracing
Community Member

Weird they have no timeline. When I set them up in nest, I received a notification from Google Home App to set up my new device as I added each one to the Nest App. I went to the Home App and all the steps to add are there, then you get a message that says they need to be added to the Google App via the Nest App. Makes no sense...

Yes, that's known as the circle of doom. No matter how many times you follow Google's instructions, you can't add your Protect to the Home Ecosystem.

Dr-X
Community Member

I’m curious when did Google take over Nest I have 3 sensors which used to be in the Nest app one of the alarms went off last night and we could not silence from our phones had to physically press the button on the Alarm. Not the most convenient way to start your working week!!!

Aceplato
Community Member

January 2014.

It takes time to integrate products, it's faster to assimilate, quoting the Borg Queen.

Dr-X
Community Member

Thank you I don’t have Google home prior to the takeover when you opened the Nest App you could see the protects

Aceplato
Community Member

I have all the Google and Nest Protect excluding wifi mesh, 2600 square foot house and a very good router gets me coverage in the house and to each corner of the yard where I have wifi outlets for outdoor lighting and fountains. All integrates well with G-Home except Nest.

Me thinks the next shoe will drop and the Nest products will be forgotten and what was a great product will be left to die.

Pocobob
Community Member

I raised this question with Google support 4 years ago when I bought my Google Nest smoke alarms assuming they would integrate with Google Home. Got the same answer 4 years ago. Extremely disappointing.

APN201
Community Member

If there even was a decent integration to Home Assistant or IFTTT or something to go around the problem, but it seems like the stupid Nest app does not integrate with anything anymore.