cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest protect P006 unable to connect to wifi no matter what I try

david1982
Community Member

Hi, 

After deciding to upgrade from a €10 fire alarm to the Google Nest protect of over €100, my first experience is pretty bad. No matter what I try, I can't connect to wifi during installation.  Keep getting the P006 ((3.10) error. Unfortunately, I cannot find any details on the "Why" it is not connecting or what I can do.. 

Tried installing now for around 10x all without luck;
- Install via iPhone 15 & Nest app > failed
- Install via iPad & Nest app > failed
- factory reset Nest Protect
- Restarted iPhone (main device)
- restarted Router (Zyxel T-DX5401-B1)
- Switched phone to WIFI & Bluetooth only (disable mobile network access) >> failed
- 802.11-modus >> B/G/N/AX Mixed

Also tried the following based on previous posts;

- Split Wifi to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (with separate names) >> still failed

- Enabled IPv6 firewall > no difference, failed
- Disabled security of Wifi (making it without protection) >> failed
(Previous post: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Protect/Nest-protect-unable-to-connect-to-WiFi-error-cod...)

I do not know how to retrieve the MAC address of each Next protect. 

I can't upload images of the router settings, so hope above helps enough to troubleshoot.

Any help would be very welcome as it became a personal mission to get this working while trying to hide my 60+ minutes of frustrations.. 

David

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The way I've seen users workaround this is to try connecting it to a Wi-Fi hotspot first so it can download a firmware update. 

• Turn on the Wifi hotspot feature on a phone or tablet. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to the manufacturer's support website.
  • Connect a second phone or tablet to that Wifi hotspot.
  • You can then use that second phone or tablet to setup your device and connect it to the Wifi hotspot on the first phone or tablet.

View Recommended Answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The way I've seen users workaround this is to try connecting it to a Wi-Fi hotspot first so it can download a firmware update. 

• Turn on the Wifi hotspot feature on a phone or tablet. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to the manufacturer's support website.
  • Connect a second phone or tablet to that Wifi hotspot.
  • You can then use that second phone or tablet to setup your device and connect it to the Wifi hotspot on the first phone or tablet.

david1982
Community Member

Hi David_K, 

thanks for your help. I tried connecting to my Hotspot of my iphone, but the Nest Protect did not find the hotspot connecting. Only the available Wifi connections. 

After retrying a few more times, I decided to start over with the 2nd Next Protect (I bought a 3-pack) and see if that worked smoother.. Crazy enough; 
- Tried connecting with the 2nd Protect. Directly found Wifi, Connected instantly, and successfully completed the process. 
- 3rd Protect was also added within 3 minutes (via the previous successfully connected Nest Protect device)
- back to the 1st Protect (with the initial issue) also connected via the 2 other successfully added devices. 

I have no clue why the first one failed and made my first product experience so bad. Luckily, all 3 are now installed and working so I can sleep well at night with a) not having spontaneous (wrongly) smoke alerts anymore and b) have a friendly night light in the hallway when needed. 

This case can now be closed.

Strackner
Community Member

If you have a Google Nest Door Camera, you’ll have to remove it and install the protect and then go back and add it.