cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Unable to connect to new Router

NevilleL
Community Member

Have just changed my WiFi router. Have tried to update the WiFi information via the Nest app, but it just hangs after connecting to the device. Then tried disconnecting and re adding one of the devices, but then it tries to connect to one of the existing devices and just hangs, Any suggestions how to resolve? It isn’t practical to rename the router and would prefer not to have to remove the entire system and reinstall. Thanks for any suggestions.

1 REPLY 1

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

It seems it's trying to get its Wifi information from another Nest product in your home, and is unable to do so.

Although painful, a workaround I've seen many users report success with is to temporarily remove other Nest products (except Google Wifi or Nest Wifi devices if you have them of course) from your home (i.e. other Nest Doorbell, Nest Protect, Nest thermostat, cameras etc) from the Nest app, then retry setup. Hopefully that works for you, and you can then re-add those other products back to the Nest app.

Alternatively, another workaround would be to create a new "home" in the app for your Nest Protects, as it then won't try to use another Nest product to get Wifi information. Of course that does mean your Nest Protects will be in their own "home" and there is no way to move products between homes.