cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

6.2-22 Software Update Issues

Neelfsu
Community Member

Is anyone on the 6.2-22 Software version and having issues? My Nest thermostat was updated to the new software last week and since then I have had issues with both shorter cycles and the thermostat running for an extended time (far beyond target temperature). I'm curious if anyone else is having issues. 

I've contacted Google / Nest support and not one person  has any details on the 6.2-22 version and this software version isn't listed on the software version page. 

245 REPLIES 245

guymadison
Community Member

Did you remove the device through the app? I was able to "connect" to the wifi with no acknowledgement from the thermostat that it was connected.

Later when I added the device through using a QR code on my phone (you need bluetooth enabled for the next.app also) it connected the device to the wifi again and it worked.

• Thanks. I will give that a try. 

Kkendall1
Community Member

I am having similar issues and one of three thermostats now won’t connect to WiFi. Others are working fine it seems. I am incredibly frustrated. 

Dsmit
Community Member

If your warranty is close to expiring, contact them ASAP.

So far, Google is choosing not to replace out-of-warranty units affected by this firmware update.  They also haven’t provided any down-grade path to reinstall the previous version that worked fine.

twodrbenz
Community Member

Mine stopped working. I only get the rainbow G. I think new firmware bricked it but they won't admit it. They are sending me a replacement under warranty though.

Dsmit
Community Member

Glad you’re getting a new unit.  It’ll be interesting to see if new units are running 6.2-22 without trouble.  

David1
Community Member

The replacement will immediately upgrade itself to .22 and lock it up…ask me how I know 

Dsmit
Community Member

How frustrating. 

Panion
Community Member

When my heat is on, my furnace will cycle on and off. I just started noticing this and I'm guessing it has something to do with the SW update.. idk though it's annoying!

LT29
Community Member

Interesting…..I have a new problem myself. Woke up this morning to see that our 1 additional sensor is no longer connecting to the thermostat. Removed it and tried adding it again but no luck! They’ve really made a mess of this 

acq2k
Community Member

The most frustrating part of this is an update which has hosed so many systems.

My heat pump cycles were extended and it was continuing to heat long after reaching the temperature I set on the thermostat.

I did the factory reset and now the easy setup I previously had for wiring doesn't seem to be the as easy and says it requires a 'pro setup'.

Still heating beyond the indicated temp as well.

Calls to support were of no help - they had 'no complaints' about this upgrade and wanted to walk me through a 'failure to heat' scenario.

Ecobee should be delivered today.  This is inexcusable, Google, and ends a long 10 year relationship I've had with Nest products.

SK000
Community Member

I'm done with Google's ecosystem too! 

AN1
Community Member

I was planning to get my next pixel but after hearing these stories!! forget it! I am not going to invest myslelf into their ecosystem. 

Does it matter for others!!

Well you gotta start from somewhere. I want to have a peaceful life. Im investing onto their products and paying more than regular market price because its from Google and its "premium" and their services are crap! No sipmly not

GregfromRichmon
Community Member

Both my NEST E thermostats had issues with the software update which is now listed on the Google site.

My upstairs thermostat lost its schedule and my downstairs thermostat did that any would not stop heating the house.  I woke up late last night with the heater running and the temperature at 80.  It seems the software is treating AC as heat too, because when I tested just the AC, heat blew out and my outside unit was not running.  Had to turn off the thermostat to stop the heat pouring into the house.  

David1
Community Member

3rd gen nest is short cycling now and reading incorrect temp .tried resets reporter nothing …it’s bricked. Started the day of sw rel .22

CuulCanuk
Community Member

Since the update, I have had an issue. My nest was on the heat and cool program.

well the thermostat was blue, but hot air was blowing through my vents. The outside temp a

was 8 deg C. I have switched the program to heat only.

BigSing
Community Member

Google really needs to make a statement about this firmware version.  Yesterday my Nest was calling for heat for hours but the furnace never turned on.  House was freezing, almost 10 degrees from target temp.  Initially I thought it might be a problem with the furnace but I had just gotten it serviced a few days ago.  Then I thought maybe a software bug related to the time change which happened today.

Anyway, the furnace finally kicked on in the middle of the night.  I am going to contact Google today and see what kind of response I get.

SK000
Community Member

Please share your experiences with Google after contacting with them. Eventually they're gonna blame your thermostat anyway but how they do it!! I just wanna know. 

Thanks

Defrogger
Community Member

My Nest 3rd Gen Learning thermostat is also having issues since the update.  Wont do anything unless i take it physically off the mount, wait a little bit and put it back on, then it works for a little while and happens again.    I havent tried factory reset yet, but if i do, wont it eventually just update to 6.2.-22 again and break, or has Google atleast pulled the update?

Dsmit
Community Member

A factory reset does not change the firmware version, so it would still be on 6.2-22.  It will update only if they publish a newer version of the firmware.

Since my 3rd Gen Learning Thermostat can no longer find Wi-Fi networks (thanks to the 6.2-22 update), I did a factory reset and skipped the connectivity and app portions of setup.  It seems to runs the HVAC just fine, but keeps telling me the time and date are not set.  It says this even if I set them manually.  Super frustrating, but at least we have heat, unlike some other folks are reporting.

Meanwhile, I’m still waiting for a response from my Google support case.

Defrogger
Community Member

Ah didnt realize that, i thought the factory reset would put it back to older firmware, bummer

Good to know

So i did the factory reset, still cant connect to wifi, but the thermostat has stayed up and working for more then 24 hours now.  Before it would just do nothing like it was powered off, would have to disconnect and remount it to get it to kick into gear.  So better but no wifi.

Will try support next, but thermostat is over 2 1/2 to 3 years old so probably not under warranty anymore

Dsmit
Community Member

Expired warranty status should not absolve the company of liability for a damaging firmware update. 

At a minimum, they need to provide a path back to the previous firmware version that worked. 

SK000
Community Member

Oh!! For sure! It's the FIRMWARE!! before this update my thermostat was fully functional without a single issue

Agreed! And just checked and both my thermostats are short cycling my furnace. Wish I could roll back the software somehow 

So frustrating 🤬

Dsmit
Community Member

There appear to be numerous issues triggered with the 6.2-22 firmware update — some are having HVAC control irregularities (short cycling, temp not regulated, etc.), some are having connectivity issues, etc.

My issue (as stated above) appears to be isolated to Wi-Fi.  Since the update, the unit cannot see any of several Wi-Fi networks available.

I thought I’d document other versions in my unit in case it’s helpful for comparing to your problem unit and seeing if there are patterns with which hardware versions exhibit which firmware issues.

• DISPLAY Software: 6.2-22
  • DISPLAY Model: 3.4
  • BASE Software: 1.5.38/3.1
  • BASE Model Backplate: 5.4
  • Problem:  Wi-Fi cannot detect any networks and therefore all connectivity is lost.

The version numbers above are available in the Settings -> Technical Info menu.

Dsmit
Community Member

A friend of mine has a 3rd Gen Learning thermostat like mine, but his DISPLAY Model is 3.5 (mine is 3.4) and he is not having any issues with the 6.2-22 firmware (so far).

aep
Community Member

I had a Nest E, switch to the Gen 3 and still having issues with my outside unit not working. I have had two techniques tell me that it is the thermostat. My Display model is 3.7 and my base backplate is 5.26. Any suggestions?

bradbort
Community Member

Since the update, my app tells me the thermostat is not connected every day or so. The thermostat itself thinks it is connected fine. Spoke to tech support, and they had me do a factory reset. I’m dubious it will work. 

Janb
Community Member

How did you getting to talk to tech support. I can’t find a number or anything to get help. We go south for a month and afraid to leave not knowing what my thermostat will do!! 

bradbort
Community Member

Google : Google nest thermostat tech support phone number.   Prepare to be underwhelmed. 

ianhiatt
Community Member

Just came here before calling our heating company...

Going to hold off now. Our thermostat disconnected yesterday and we didn't notice all day due to warmer temps outside. 8 PM rolls around and we realize that it's offline. It powered itself down and refused to boot up. Eventually, thinking I had power problems and checking electrical panels, safety switches, everything on the furnace itself. Nothing wrong. I plugged the thermostat into USB to charge off base for an hour or so and it suddenly was fine. Been monitoring ever since and no power issues whatsoever.

My guess is it was related to this damned update. Our Nest updated about a week ago, but it hasn't been on much due to warmer temps. Gave me a heart attack thinking I had some massive electrical problem that would be impossible to sort out.

Thanks, Google. Thanks a bunch.

Raptors9211
Community Member

I have two thermostats and one is fine but other is awful. It’s short cycling the furnace like crazy. Reset didn’t do anything. Nest support is sending a new back plate but I doubt that solves anything 

Handymanny67
Community Member

Yes, it has been a mess this new software (6.2-22). Wi-Fi connectivity issues. Mostly offline now!

One thing I’ve done that may have fixed the connectivity issue: I connected it to an older repeater I had lying around. So far, it has not disconnected again for the last 18 hours or so. If it goes another day, that may have resolved the issue. I have no idea why connecting to a repeater would be more solid than a direct connection the the router, or why the firmware update of the Nest caused the instability to being with

Dsmit
Community Member

For some of us, 6.2-22 means the unit cannot see any Wi-Fi signals.  Between my own network and my neighbors’ there are at least 4 networks broadcasting at any given time.  

My thermostat can’t see any of them.  It also could not see the signal from a factory-reset Linksys router (2.4 MHz) I set up within a few feet of the thermostat.  Nor could it find the network, even if I manually entered the SSID.  

It could not see the Wi-Fi hotspot from my phone, inches away from the  thermostat.  

Interestingly, Bluetooth (used during setup by the Nest app) promptly and reliably found the thermostat.  Then, when the setup flow gets to networking, it times out after a long search for Wi-Fi networks.

I don’t know if Nest uses an integrated wireless chip for both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, though most products I’m familiar with do.  With Bluetooth working fine, this further suggests that something in the 6.2-22 code can’t properly control the Wi-Fi system on some Gen 3 Learning Thermostats.

Janb
Community Member

Our thermostat has changed on its own in middle of the night when we are sleeping from set temp of 70 to 90 and furnace runs and runs. 

Dsmit
Community Member

After multiple, lengthy troubleshooting engagements with Google Support, they have finally shipped a replacement unit. 

It should be here this week and I’ll report it if is capable of running 6.2-22 without issue.