cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Moved house. Can’t connect app to existing nest thermostats

Krisk120
Community Member

Just moved to new house where they have nest learning thermostat. I’m trying to connect my app and when I try to get entry key it says problem connecting to service try later. 
I’ve been trying a few days but still saying the same. I’ve reset to factory settings. 
Do I need to be connected to the wifi on my phone too? As when I turn it in it won’t let me get into anything on phone. 

10 REPLIES 10

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If you've already reset the thermostat, try these steps:

1. Open the Nest app and on the app home screen, tap the Settings cog.
  2. Tap Add product. The app will switch to a camera view to scan the thermostat’s QR code.
  3. To get the QR code, press the thermostat to open the Quick View menu.
  4. Choose the Settings cog.
  5. Turn the ring to select Nest app and press to open it.
  6. Select QR code. Your thermostat should show you a unique QR code to scan with the app.

Krisk120
Community Member

Thanks. Tried all that. Doesn’t give me an option for QR code. Just entry key which then comes up with error. 
thank you. 

PaulaC
Community Member

Same with mine too. I must have an older model as it doesn’t have a “Settings” button. Ive shut it down, restarted it, but I still have the same settings from the previous owner who liked it hot in the middle of the night! Can anyone help?!?!

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

In your case you first need to reset the thermostat. Try these steps:

1. On the thermostat, press it to open the quick view menu, tap the Settings cog > Reset > All Settings.
  2. If you haven’t already, download the Nest app on a phone or tablet.
  3. Once reset, on the Nest app home screen, tap the Settings cog.
  4. Tap Add product. The app will switch to a camera view to scan the thermostat’s QR code.
  5. On the thermostat, press it to open the quick view menu and tap the Settings cog.
  6. Turn the ring to select Nest app and press to open it.
  7. Select QR code. Your thermostat will show you a unique QR code to scan with the app. If it doesn't, select "Get Entry Key" instead.
  8. Follow the remaining steps in the Nest app. If necessary, tap "continue without scanning" in the Nest app and enter the setup key instead.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You asked "Do I need to be connected to the wifi on my phone too? As when I turn it in it won’t let me get into anything on phone."

Yes, your phone needs to be connected to the Wi-Fi network you want to connect your thermostat to. 

If you're not seeing a QR code, you should be able to tap "continue without scanning" in the Nest app and enter the setup key that is displayed instead? You might need to select "Get Entry Key" to retrieve the unique entry key.

KevinW1
Community Member

Helping a friend that just moved and the Nest App isn't seeing the thermostat.  I've reset the thermostat and scanning the QR code doesn't work. Entering the entry key doesn't work.

Any other way around this?  The nest app flat out won't see the thermostat despite being connected to the same network.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

To check, what model of thermostat is it? You can check here:
https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9246551

KevinW1
Community Member

Looks to be 2nd gen. Checked for updates and it was up to date as well. Both the app and the thermostat. 

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Try these steps:

1. Factory reset the thermostat.
  2. On the Nest app home screen, tap the Settings cog.
  3. Tap Add product. The app will switch to a camera view to scan the thermostat’s QR code.
  4. On the thermostat, press it to open the quick view menu and tap the Settings cog.
  5. Turn the ring to select Nest app and press to open it.
  6. Select QR code. Your thermostat will show you a unique QR code to scan with the app. If it doesn't, tap Continue without scanning in the app and select Get entry key on your thermostat instead.
  7. Follow the remaining steps in the Nest app.

KevinW1
Community Member

Per my original post, this all has been done already.  The device and app won't communicate and I'm looking for additional assistance or steps.