cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Neat thermostat compatibility issue

Jamnest
Community Member

image.jpg

 my old Samsung thermostat only had an R and a C wire. I could not get confirmation through Google websites until I try to add through Google Home. Now it tells me I need a Y and a W wire. Is this in fact correct?

10 REPLIES 10

listairee
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello @Jamnest,

Thanks for reaching out. Did you use Nest's Compatibility Checker? I see that you have the Y and W wires wrapped around the R and C wires, so you might potentially need to hook those up too.

Hope that helps! 🙂

The nest Compatibility Checker was a circular loop of "send us a photo" with no way to do so. So here I am.

But thanks for pointing out those other wires- they were not attached to the old thermostat so I didn't even mention them! Appreciated.

The white wire broke off in a hole. I have tried to release it using the pinhole release and it will not work. Any ideas how to get that out? I cannot seem to attach a photo here.

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Those wires are not installed in the nest thermostat back plate, right, they don’t go in from the top they go in on the side. Where are you install? The red and white wire is where the nest display actually plugged in. Move the wires to the side, press the tab on the outside edges, but the wire in from the opposite side. Make sure you take the time to read the installation instructions so you know how to install the wires.

The AC Cooling Wizard

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

Thanks, I did. And I got the broken wire out, & installed the yellow & white per other comment: but Google Home reports “white & yellow wires not detected”

now what?

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Hmm, I wonder if the cable got pinched or broken along its way. Do you have an Central Air Conditioner? If not, the yellow wire is not needed.  The Red Wire is the power on, the white wire is power out.  Now, some heating systems that do not have an integrated furnace control board, only use a simple connection between R and W to make the burner light.  Can you tell me what is the manufacturer and model number of your heating system?

The AC Cooling Wizard

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

Hello folks,

I wanted to stop by and see how I could help.

Thanks for the help, @listairee and @CoolingWizard.

@Jamnest, your HVAC systems' wiring configuration might help us determine the placement of the available thermostat wires. If possible, you can share with us a picture of how they are being labeled.

Regards,

Mark

Hello Jamnest,

I'm checking back in—hhow's it going? Still need our help? Let us know if you managed to gather the details we're asking for so we can move forward.

Best,
Mark

Hello Jamnest,,

It has been a few days since your last reply, and we're going to lock the thread within 24 hours. If you have any questions, please feel free to create a new post.

Thanks,
Mark