cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Learning Thermostat (3gen.) can’t update software

trifazz
Community Member

Hello, 

Currently, on my Nest device there's 5.9.4-5 software version installed.
According to information provided on support page the newest versions of software are available.

Unfortunately, my device doesn’t see the newest versions different than 5.9.4-5 and I receive constantly the message that my device is up to date. 

Based on Serial No of my Nest device, I have Nest Learning Thermostat (3rd Generation).

How can I get the latest version of software on my Nest thermostat?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

39 REPLIES 39

Sebnestuser
Community Member

oops

M1chao
Community Member

I have the same problem.
Noticed it today when my thermostat was acting weird...

Hope to find an answer here...
Also contacted the supportdesk.

trifazz
Community Member

Did you try to restart the thermostat, or restart/ reset HeatLink?
I tried it several times and nothing. I also tried to change the region several times, but with no results too.

M1chao
Community Member

Tried that all indeed... Didn't work...

trifazz
Community Member

All right, probably we have the same issue with your devices.

Let's see, what support desk will say...

Steve59
Community Member

Following this thread as my thermostat last updated in Sept 2019

M1chao
Community Member

Googled a bit today...
Came accross this post:

How do I force my Nest thermostat to update, when the manual check believes that it is up to-date? -...

We are clearly not alone... Digged through those answers.
Then i saw a dude who fixed it with resetting his network settings...

I laughed because i fully resetted my device a few times now...

Dit a network reset scrolled to the update device option...
It told me that there was now network so i connected to my 5Ghz network this time. (i did use a 2.4Ghz before)

And it told me it downloaded an update and it would restart later...

So now i'm waiting for it to restart...

The guy who answered in the link i posted had to reset his network multiple times.
So keep that in mind!

I'll check later today if my device rebooted and did an update...
I'll keep you guys posted!

M1chao
Community Member

Guys back to nothing...
Digged a little more...

I you guys are not from the US please read this...

Geschiedenis van software-updates voor de Nest-thermostaat - Google Nest Help

I'm from Belgium... So i think there is now newer version for my Gen 3 Thermostat...
Also noticed that google replaced my gen 3 back in the day wioth a gen 2...
To bad that i discover it a year later...

trifazz
Community Member

Thanks M1chao for today's updates.

I think, I'll give up with this updates. This is too annoying. 

giacombum
Community Member

I've the same problem too... I connected it to my 5GHz network and rebooted the Nest, but nothing changed.

hiphopast
Community Member

I have this same problem.

Latest version is Version 6.2-22 – released 1 November 2021

but i have Version 5.9.4-5 – released 10 October 2019

When i try to update it say that my version is up to date. 

Goggle nest 3gen Display Model 3.4

Any one have any idea or solve problem.

Some updates are only for certain countries , the UK is not one of the latest

trifazz
Community Member

Good to know. Thanks, @Steve59 

So i should change country and do update?

I live in Canada and I got a 3.4 and a 3.6, both of them got updated to 6.2-22

trifazz
Community Member

I will try this solution - change the region.
Maybe, once changed the region, I will get the updates.

But Please be connected to 2,5GHz on your WiFi.

People reporting issues with the new update, google it up

I have just received update to 5.9.5-2 but nowhere I can find what update it is. 

True, I received the same software update, yesterday. 

M1chao
Community Member

Hi Guys,

I received an update to, details below:

Software5.9.5-2
Date9 nov. 2021 00:59

It installed automaticly btw...

Olafmol
Community Member

Same here in the Netherlands. Got the (undocumented?) firmware update 5.9.5-2 for my Nest Gen 3 a few days ago automatically. Can somebody from Google tell what has changed? There are no release notes to be found. 

albert
Community Member

Hello! I have the same problem (stuck on 5.9.5-2). 50% of the times I leave home, the Nest Learning Thermostat does not turn on the leaf... 

trifazz
Community Member

I have noticed the same issue. No ‘leaf’ option run automatically while being away. Strange…. 🤔

albert
Community Member

By the way, I have a Nest Learning thermostat for the first floor and a Nest E for the second floor. The Nest E always turn the leaf option, but not the Nest Learning... Please Google guys, we need a fix for it...

trifazz
Community Member

I can only second this request.
Nest doesn't recognise when I 'm away since last update. 

LifeonMars
Bronze
Bronze

The updates may be country specific, however the problem of nest not switching between home and away and showing away but heating home or showing away and not showing ECO is a problem being discussed in another thread,  Only occurred since November  and possible update 5.9 5-2 may be to blame 

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Thermostats/Home-Away-Assist-returning-home-always-stuck...

Trilock
Community Member

Anyone got any answers. My nest is acting all weird.. I reset the thermost and the heatlink and when it starts it says will download update later , but never does

trifazz
Community Member

Still nothing.
As of today (28/08/2022) I still have same crappy software 5.9.4-5 version installed.
Once checked official Google software log there is a way newer software available.
According to Google. On the webpage. Apparently. 

Well, it's about the time to abandon #Google and #Nest equipment for good.
No software support; no real and helpful solution.

Yeah same here. Time to move elsewhere as google do not support this devices. Possibly to ecobee. 

Yeah, Ecobee seems to be a very good alternative for not supposed Nest equipment 

pitkap
Community Member

Hi there, very strange as my current version is :

ModelDisplay-3.6
Backplate modelBackplate-6.5
Software5.9.5-2

and

Heat Link

ConnectionWired and wireless
ModelAmber-2.5
Software2.1.2-1

What support advise you about update ?

Anyway looking for newest version too.

trifazz
Community Member

Well, I have exactly the same versions as provided above.

Frankly speaking, do not expect any help from #Google.

I tried so many options like changing address or region in options. I even used vpn. All for nothing.

I gave up and looking these days for a solid #Nest Thermostat replacement. 

I assume the main and only reason of this situation is to enforce customers to buy a new #Nest product. Pity...

NoNameUk
Community Member

I'm also in UK and got the same version as above. I've just spend good 1hr with the support. They just tried to brush it under the carpet saying it is on latest number but version displayed is wrong... After insisting to fix the version displayed she tried a bit harder to help. As soon as she heard this is in UK she used magic words "I will transfer your case to colleague in UK" who can help and that's it.... The level of the support is shocking ... Alongside of this been trying to reset it etc but nothing helps. I wasted good 6 hours in total now .... 

LifeonMars
Bronze
Bronze

In UK and my Nest software is same as above. Shows as Thermostats software up to date

For information Since the problem back in November 2021 when it was not recognising Home and away,  The Nest Learning Thermostat has started to recognise when I am Home and away which is linked to my iPhone and works.

normally.   I have now stopped using Samsung Smart Things app  with the routines  set up for home and away.  

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding Google's Customer Service. 

I found really great alternative for Nest Thermostat. I'm going to replace Nest with Netatmo.

Thank you Google. 

Conmed
Community Member

87DEE334-ADC8-4F6C-925F-924D4B4833C4.jpeg

Little late I think, lol. I recently had this issue. I have 2 Nest 3rd gens, one updated and one didn’t. Didn’t even show the update menu. They were purchased at different times and had different firmwares. I believe it’s true with the network issue. My fix with the one not updating, was to connect to a different internet source altogether. I connected it to my phones hotspot, and downloaded the update on its own. It then had a message that said it will update on its own within one day. I connected it back to my network and the next day at some point it installed the update. 

Hope this helps someone.

NoNameUk
Community Member

Thanks ! That's interesting! I give up at the time but may have another look. What country are you based in ? 

Conmed
Community Member

Canada 

My guess is there’s a network setting or a random port that might be blocked on my network that prevents the update. 🤷‍♂️ 

NoNameUk
Community Member

Thanks, US/Canada is a different story thus the update worked for you. I got EU model and it sucks. According to Google there is no newer version for EU.