cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Thermostat Won't Turn On Heat

disappointed
Community Member

Thermostat has been working well until today. Now the heat won't come on. Did a reset, that did not help. 

When I adjust the temperature a green leaf shows up and says in 1.5 hours, then says until 21:00. It's -4C outside, by 21:00H my pipes will be frozen. Support web site says they are open but all channels of communication are greyed out and unavailable. 

Can anyone help?

1 Recommended Answer

disappointed
Community Member

We resolved this problem by pulling off the Nest facelate and plugging it into a USB charger. About an hour later we put it back on the wall and it recommenced communicating with the furnace. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

170 REPLIES 170

Raynesypher
Community Member

@Hug3kids  I'm in the same boat.... I just had a brand new Lennox machine installed I'm running Software 6.2-22 and it will be good for a week and then it will stop... Luckily I got a service contract with the company that installed it... But today I'm going to take back the Thermostat and buy and ECOBEE... We've had the company out 3-4 times in the past month and it's just becoming bothersome with a brand new system. It's RIDICULOUS that Google cannot fix this or thinks there's bigger issues than people without heat in the winter months... 

Colorado
Community Member

We had the same issue start recently, and also tried the reset. You have to turn the temp down & then back up to where you want it to get the heat to kick in...either at the nest or on the app. We are still looking for a better solution.

Arawas
Community Member

Has anyone successfully resolved this issue ? Or returning this thermostat is the only option ?

Tired of this gadget. It's just a fancy wall ornament.

jasr
Community Member

I spent close to 5 hours on chat with tech support over this issue. In the last few minutes of the chat, it was finally acknowledged that a contact had failed (not a bad connection, a failed component), possibly during a power outage, and support was asking me to try a (very risky!) alternative wiring scheme. I declined that experiment and was sent a replacement, which I have not installed due to my renewed appreciation for the reliability of "KISS".

Shamik
Community Member

We have the same problem. Had to call a HVAC tech who identified the issue is with nest thermostat and not furnace. He suggested to shot the furnace wires if heat is needed on emergency.

Unless you trust your  tech I'd get a second oppinion.  I have had problems with my HVAC since Nov 2021.  They told me the same thing that my Thermostat was the problem.   My HVAC worked when it wanted to a week here a day there.  Then wouldn't work for a month.  I had a tech out countless times plus the gas company checking there things out.  Telling me that it has to be my Thermostat which I have a Learning Nest.  I put the old Thermostat back on and problem was still there and just last week found the real problem was.  It was the regulator on the meter.  It was like 40 years old and it was pushing to much gas to the gas valve and kept burning up valve motors.  Since the regulator has been replaced I haven't had any issues with my Hvac.  Also I have my nest thermostat back on and still no issues.  I don't believe everything techs say.  Not that I'm saying your issue isn't your thermostat but look into the problems more like what is your Hvac doing?  Is your nest telling  you there is a problem or its not telling you anything.  that is what I would do in your situation.  hope  this helps

Wagnard
Community Member

I seem to be having a similar problem, I have a heat pump with AUX heating (resistance strip) with Nest learning 3rd gen. 2 times already I had the the system stop heating and also the fan stopped. I select the fan to be on 24/7. After a Reboot of the thermostat, the fan came ON. The weird thing is it happened not long after I got it (few days after initial setup) and recently I decided to Full Reset it. and strangely it happened again a few days later.  it's on firmware : 6.2-27

Nestsucks2
Community Member

Charging the USB port did not work.  This type of incompetence by Google only validates the destruction they have done to the Next product.  Replaced with an Ecobee and now it works fine.  Learned my lesson.

THENESTISJUNK81
Community Member

Had mine  one day having all these problems already changed my thermostat back to old one at 4 in am this thing is a complete pile going back tomorrow 

Dutch00
Community Member

My Nest hasn't been the same this year. Turns out the May 22 update is what is causing the issue and the C wire needs to be put in. Pull that face plate off and follow these steps.

If that fails too, do yourself a favor and look at this Ecobee alternative.

Bee88
Community Member

This "solution" is such bull**bleep**! It works for a day or two then I have to keep on plugging in. We had a professional add the wire needed to supply power to the device. We shouldn't have to plug it in at all! I want a **bleep**ing refund. I'm going to by a simple Honeywell thermostat, I don't need all this crazy. Its 30 degrees outside this is ridiculous.